Pick a Ram, any Ram

R@M

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been reading through this post with interest.

Some great names and if we are honest, the fitness levels today would probably see most of the earlier names struggle in the modern game. But what it did do was remind me just how many great players we have had over the last few decades.

I then wondered if we could get all of the best players in the correct positions, what a team it would be.

7 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Ah. Got ya. Heard of him, but before my time. Sorry. 

I was told that it was because he took such a long time over his hairstyle.

I was at a Rams first team cricket match and one of the players asked 'Where's Alan?' To be told'He'll be off somewhere sulking after his innings.

I like to think it was because so many of us loved the guy!

2 minutes ago, mozza said:

Dave Mackay , great leader, footballs equivalent to Russell Crowe in ' Gladiator'

Maximus Decimus Meridius!

I've seen nowt but cack play for Derby so leave them all in the ground, so to say. I was around in the 90s but have nae memory of it. I guess Idiakez? 

I really don't get the argument that modern players are loads fitter.

the modern game looks slower to me.

That cloughie team used to come out of the traps at a hundred miles an hour and tear the opposition to shreds. 

They were better players too, so of course they'd have beaten this team.

whenever this argument comes up it reminds me of the time that the current derby team under colin addison played a team of ex-rams veterens in a testimonial. The current team got absolutely thrashed. The fans of course were delighted. 

I think the thread is about given a choice which ex p[layer would you wish back into the side.  We've had some great players and it's great to see Gladys mentioned so often probably due to the fact that our dead ball delivery is somewhat lacking.  Suggest that that if we had an energetic midfield in front of DM it would up the skill set somewhat.  My vote would be for Archie Gemmill

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I really don't get the argument that modern players are loads fitter.

the modern game looks slower to me.

"When British researchers looked at footballers from the old First Division in 1976, they found that the distance covered in a game was an average 8-11 kilometres, 25 per cent of which was walking and 11 per cent sprinting. Physiologists reckon that Premiership footballers now cover around 12-14 kilometres per match and that a greater percentage of that distance is run at top speed. In the World Cup qualifier against Greece last year, David Beckham was recorded as running 16.1 kilometres "

From 2002, so i assume the average has gone up again.

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

"When British researchers looked at footballers from the old First Division in 1976, they found that the distance covered in a game was an average 8-11 kilometres, 25 per cent of which was walking and 11 per cent sprinting. Physiologists reckon that Premiership footballers now cover around 12-14 kilometres per match and that a greater percentage of that distance is run at top speed. In the World Cup qualifier against Greece last year, David Beckham was recorded as running 16.1 kilometres "

From 2002, so i assume the average has gone up again.

That doesn't seem right. Talksport did a "hardest working players" for 2014/15 PL season and the players at the bottom of that list averaged 11km per game. So every player except the dozen or so above them ran less than 11k per game which is about in-line with the 70s average.

You could probably find a player from the 70s who ran 16km in one game too.

Not that I agree with @RamNut - I do think players are fitter purely because the science has improved, but I don't think the game's match speed has changed much.

13 hours ago, angieram said:

Given people think our greatest need is for a quality winger I agree with @Pearl Ram and would go for Gladys.

Would love for it be George or Rioch as two of my favourites but we are well-blessed with strikers and unless they change themodern laws of the game Bruce would be suspended most of the time!  

I didn't realise how hard he was until we signed him from Villa ,he certainly didn't take prisoners .

2 hours ago, steve brummie said:

I was told that it was because he took such a long time over his hairstyle.

I was at a Rams first team cricket match and one of the players asked 'Where's Alan?' To be told'He'll be off somewhere sulking after his innings.

I like to think it was because so many of us loved the guy!

Didn't he play in white boots - in the early 1970's.

Archived