James McClean

Andrew3000

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

"Derby's pursuit of West Brom's James McClean is over after they were quoted a mind-boggling £15m." - Daily Telegraph

That's one way of keeping a player..

Absolutely absurd if true. Pardew is daft enough to quote this. 

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

"Derby's pursuit of West Brom's James McClean is over after they were quoted a mind-boggling £15m." - Daily Telegraph

That's one way of keeping a player..

Any pearson reading that would think that perhaps we've been a thorne in their side on a couple of occasions in the past.

Why shouldn't they quote £15m - he has played Premier League football regularly. We sold Ince for around £11m inc add ons and he hasn't played no where near as much as McClean in the Premier League, Fulham quoting £20-30m for Cairney as well. 

If you don't want to sell then quote a ridiculous price and see if anyone actually matches it.

On 1/28/2018 at 13:56, Carl Sagan said:

We live in an era where we've almost lost freedom of speech and people are clamping down on freedom of thought, with a huge herd mentality driven a lot by social media. I respect McClean for not following the herd and have no problem with the political stand he's taken.

I'd be surprised if West Brom were willing to sell him. There were rumours of Burnley interest earlier in the season so we'd likely have competition if they were. A winger who would provide more quality and doesn't shirk his defensive duties so would fit in well into a Rowett team.

Absolutely spot-on @Carl Sagan. A chap called Blair predicted this years ago and I'm talking Eric Arthur Blair (aka George Orwell) not Tony! The "Thought Police" (cf 1984) are alive and well. I too respect McClean for not following the herd and have no problem with the political stand he's taken. If you look back into Irish history, you will find out that just 165 years ago whilst Irish farming people ate grass in a desperate attempt to stay alive because they were starving with hunger, ships laden with corn and maize left Irish ports. The corn and maize "belonged" to absentee English landlords who "owned" the Irish land and was bound for the markets in Europe. This is fact not political hyperbole. British democracy gives every person the right to freedom of speech; you don't have to agree with the views but you should respect the right. :mellow:

They've quoted us 15 million.. I'd be disappointed if we spent 1 million on him. Now aged 28/29, never really taken off wherever he's been or cemented a first team role at a very average premier league side for the last few seasons. Rather us get a raw talent in leagues 1 or 2 for a couple of million. 

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Why shouldn't they quote £15m - he has played Premier League football regularly. We sold Ince for around £11m inc add ons and he hasn't played no where near as much as McClean in the Premier League, Fulham quoting £20-30m for Cairney as well. 

If you don't want to sell then quote a ridiculous price and see if anyone actually matches it.

But he’s not very good

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely spot-on @Carl Sagan. A chap called Blair predicted this years ago and I'm talking Eric Arthur Blair (aka George Orwell) not Tony! The "Thought Police" (cf 1984) are alive and well. I too respect McClean for not following the herd and have no problem with the political stand he's taken. If you look back into Irish history, you will find out that just 165 years ago whilst Irish farming people ate grass in a desperate attempt to stay alive because they were starving with hunger, ships laden with corn and maize left Irish ports. The corn and maize "belonged" to absentee English landlords who "owned" the Irish land and was bound for the markets in Europe. This is fact not political hyperbole. British democracy gives every person the right to freedom of speech; you don't have to agree with the views but you should respect the right. :mellow:

Excellent post. A bit of historical context is always useful. Indeed, those food exports were guarded by police and British army regiments while more than 1 million people died of starvation and 2 million were forced to emigrate,. All this while Ireland was in the UK, probably the richest country in the world at the time. Reading the history of how it all happened is truly shocking. Incidentally the corn is what came in to Ireland in a belated and half-hearted. relief effort.  The exports included meats, poultry, dairy and cereals etc.. The country was producing ample food to avoid a serious famine even with the potato blight.

As for McClean, the mystery what do people really expect from a boy from the Creggan estates? As long as he doesn't support the IRA (if he did the vitriol towards him would be justifiable in my view).  I think most of those criticizing him are probably entirely bereft of knowledge or understanding of the reality of British rule in Ireland.  It's frustrating reading noisy uninformed opinion.

Anyway, he's not coming to Derby, it seems.  In footballing terms I think we can do better anyway.

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

At least we should get 7.5 million for Anya using the Pardew Valuation Formula.

McClean has 148 premier league appearances to Anya's 39 - so Anya is only worth about £4m on the Pardew scale, which I think was the one we were using when we signed him.

If they were quoting £5m I could see us being daft enough to pay it.  Surely we go back now and ask about a loan, maybe offering a fee.

3 minutes ago, Rample said:

McClean has 148 premier league appearances to Anya's 39 - so Anya is only worth about £4m on the Pardew scale, which I think was the one we were using when we signed him.

If they were quoting £5m I could see us being daft enough to pay it.  Surely we go back now and ask about a loan, maybe offering a fee.

I agree on the 5 million,we would have paid it.

Anya gets a hike in his fee for his stepovers,shall we say 4,000,100?

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Excellent post. A bit of historical context is always useful. Indeed, those food exports were guarded by police and British army regiments while more than 1 million people died of starvation and 2 million were forced to emigrate,. All this while Ireland was in the UK, probably the richest country in the world at the time. Reading the history of how it all happened is truly shocking. Incidentally the corn is what came in to Ireland in a belated and half-hearted. relief effort.  The exports included meats, poultry, dairy and cereals etc.. The country was producing ample food to avoid a serious famine even with the potato blight.

As for McClean, the mystery what do people really expect from a boy from the Creggan estates? As long as he doesn't support the IRA (if he did the vitriol towards him would be justifiable in my view).  I think most of those criticizing him are probably entirely bereft of knowledge or understanding of the reality of British rule in Ireland.  It's frustrating reading noisy uninformed opinion.

Anyway, he's not coming to Derby, it seems.  In footballing terms I think we can do better anyway.

Indeed, in late 1848 Parliament granted £100k for the relief of the Irish Famine and £150k for the improvement of Battersea Park in London to widespread disbelief at the time for as many commented £150 k was nowhere near enough money to improve such a beautiful park. 

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Indeed, in late 1848 Parliament granted £100k for the relief of the Irish Famine and £150k for the improvement of Battersea Park in London to widespread disbelief at the time for as many commented £150 k was nowhere near enough money to improve such a beautiful park. 

To be fair it is a nice park, lovely trees!

Archived