Derby County F.C. v Bristol City F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because they don't use VAR in the Championship? Only using it as a trial in the cups. That being said, if VAR was used we 100% get a penalty.

Really? Willian might not agree. 

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I remember watching the Hull game earlier in the season on TV and thinking how dangerous we looked from set-pieces, especially with corners as Curtis Davies provides a real threat.

Aside from Davies, we've got Keogh, Wisdom, Forsyth, Thorne and Huddlestone who are all strong in the air.

Makes me frustrated then to see so many corners go to waste. Seems Lawrence just wanted to do that drill, flat-ball with the outside of his foot to the penalty area over and over again. It was awful.

On one particular corner, everyone rushed the six-yard box and ball was sent towards the penalty spot at a snails pace. Allowed them to actually bring it down, and counter with a four on three. It was so annoying!

I wouldn't particularly blame Lawrence specifically because Baird and Huddlestone have done exactly the same when taking the corners. It appears to be more of a deliberate tactic rather than a trait attributed to Lawrence specifically.

Just now, Alpha said:

We didn't though. We rarely do. We are a counter attacking side. He was right. He just used it as a criticism instead of an observation. 

He should be able to see we created more over the game though. Not the team with the most passes.

Perhaps that’s why he’s not managing anyone atm.

anyway . Didn’t he used to be important?

Over the piece, I'm not too disheartened. Ref was a ****. We missed loads of chances, they missed a couple. Two decent Championship sides slugging out and if you can't win, don't lose. Forget it, and get ready for Millwall.

I think we have to remember that Bristol, even out of form, aren't where they are for no reason. Yes we had the better and more numerous chances and yes we were wasteful. I'm as frustrated about that and the penatly decision as the next person.

However, we also needed to make sure we kept our shape and concentration defensively which we did throughout. Bristol are tidy, have quality going forward and are the kind of side that could have made us look stupid otherwise as they did at their place. 

Attacking wise we were both a little unlucky and perhaps guilty of poor decision making at times. Defensively we were spot on for the most part. Overall, we probably should have won on balance but I'll take a draw as they are a decent side and one silly mistake at the other end might have cost us. 

On a side note, I'm a big Thorne fan but I'm sure he'll want to put that one to bed. Nothing went for him at all. You could almost see him getting more and more frustrated with his own performance the longer the game went on. I agree with some others in that I think he was trying a little too hard to force a pass on occasion. I thought Huddlestone looked good and Wisdom, defensively, had a decent game. Also, chin up Vydra, everyone misses them sometimes...

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

We didn't though. We rarely do. We are a counter attacking side. He was right. He just used it as a criticism instead of an observation. 

He should be able to see we created more over the game though. Not the team with the most passes.

But to say that Bristol city played football today and Derby didn't ? Maybe I'm looking into it too much but it would have been better if he specifically said we are a counter attacking team rather than stating "we don't play football."

Seemed a bit like a dig to me but I'm probably looking too much into it. He did the same when Pearson was here too when we were on the tele(rightly or wrongly in that situation) but praised wassall for playing "football in the right way." I don't think there's any right way of playing football really as everyone will have their own preferences. He of all people should know it's impossible to play free flowing football every game.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Slightly surreal game and strange performance. We edged it but didn't really do enough to win it. Loads of abuse for the ref on here but didn't think he got much wrong really. 

We didn't play great but were better than the much fancied Bristol City. 

Have 11 days off.

Jerome looks a handful.

Well there was that time their keeper touched it over the bar and he gave a goalkick, the time we deflected it out and he gave a goal kick, the time he denied us a blatant penalty and the thousands of times he stopped the match just for players looking at each other funny. The ref had a terrible game.

Thought we were a bit meh tonight tbh.

Was hoping Gary would have instilled some fire in the belly and got us coming out strong. But it didn't happen. 

Too cautious,  too deep. Occasional passages of decent play but nothing sustained until the subs were put on and we went more direct.

No individual was terrible,  none were exceptional . Result wasn't what was hoped for,  but not a disaster. 

Oh well......

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Surely there is no way they couldn't give that if they used VAR? Absolute stone waller! More than Willian's, IMO.

The two incidents were similar in that both attackers got booked for diving even though both were penalties but in the Norwich Chelsea game even though VAR was available it wasn't used because the decision wasn't debatable enough? Wtf??

As this week went on, I felt I had a lot more questions than answers coming into the game. I’ve left that thinking I may have even more questions (and not one of them is about the ref).

Feel very ranty, so might sleep on most of it rather than lay out a stream of consciousness.

On the penalty, reminded me of Willian’s in the week. I genuinely think refs are trying to stamp out players ‘looking’ for penalties. Not saying that’s what Jerome was doing, but I think that is what’s happening. Besides the ref wasn’t the reason we dropped points, we had enough chances to win and should have taken one.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

But to say that Bristol city played football today and Derby didn't ? Maybe I'm looking into it too much but it would have been better if he specifically said we are a counter attacking team rather than stating "we don't play football."

Seemed a bit like a dig to me but I'm probably looking too much into it. He did the same when Pearson was here too when we were on the tele(rightly or wrongly in that situation) but praised wassall for playing "football in the right way." I don't think there's any right way of playing football really as everyone will have their own preferences. He of all people should know it's impossible to play free flowing football every game.

Nah, I deffo think he was a bit unfair. Bristol weren't putting in some sort of admirable footballing effort. But the hype train is on them right now so maybe he's just following the script.

I do think he is right that we don't try to play "football" (God, that's a horrible description!) 

But he should be acknowledging that there's more than one way to win whether he likes to watch it or not. 

Think he sees Derby as a club trying to go the Swansea way still. But that's not the case now. Think most Derby fans have accepted Rowett and his style. Mac needs updating!

Archived