If Rowett were to leave, who would you like to to replace him?

Sexydadbod

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully all nonsense...but Chris Wilder or Darren Wassall till the end of the season. If it did happen, let's not rush into a manager with a different style, who demands a different squad and doesn't build on what we have at first team, under 23 and under 18.....whisper it, but the whole club is moving in the right direction and we need someone who believes in what's been built...

40 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Not sure why you are struggling with either scenario. Everton and Palace have both shown it’s easy to climb the table, and Stoke have been in Europe during their stint in the PL.  I think it was you (apologies if not) who said GR is a good manager, therefore do you not think he can emulate and improve against previous managers ?

They made it into Europe through the FA Cup, we're not talking about a side that have been capable of doing it through league position. Not sure it's a realistic target to expect them to reach the final of a cup again and hope your opponents have already qualified for Europe.

I have said Rowett is a good manager, several times, not sure which post you would be referring to though. Can he do it in the Premier League? I honestly don't know, this could be his level, go on to be another Warnock. I don't think this is the right time or situation to find out, same as Carvalhal that's just gone to Swansea albeit a slightly more doomed job. 

First crack at the Premier League you would want a full summer, get to grips with what you have to work with. We saw when Rowett arrived at Derby he chose not to change much. As it stands Stoke have 16 games left, would he feel confident of going in there getting his ideas across and start picking up points straight away in exchange for a promotion on his CV?

Can't see it, really can't and it's purely down to the timing and position that Derby in now. Whilst he refuses to talk us up, I'm sure he's quietly confident he can take us up.

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Seen a few people say Warburton and, I've got to ask, what is it about his spell at Forest that you rate?

Warburton was actually creating a good young side at Forest and he would've been my first choice over Gary but I'm happy if GR stays.

Warburton tries to get his teams playing good football and i beleive made the wrong choice going to Forest where he had to wheel and deal with little money as he done at Brentford where i remember them playing us off the park at PP under Mac1

Jokanovic is also a great choice but i really don't think Rowett will leave  as he has history with us and seems really happy to be here 

13 minutes ago, David said:

They made it into Europe through the FA Cup, we're not talking about a side that have been capable of doing it through league position. Not sure it's a realistic target to expect them to reach the final of a cup again and hope your opponents have already qualified for Europe.

I have said Rowett is a good manager, several times, not sure which post you would be referring to though. Can he do it in the Premier League? I honestly don't know, this could be his level, go on to be another Warnock. I don't think this is the right time or situation to find out, same as Carvalhal that's just gone to Swansea albeit a slightly more doomed job. 

First crack at the Premier League you would want a full summer, get to grips with what you have to work with. We saw when Rowett arrived at Derby he chose not to change much. As it stands Stoke have 16 games left, would he feel confident of going in there getting his ideas across and start picking up points straight away in exchange for a promotion on his CV?

Can't see it, really can't and it's purely down to the timing and position that Derby in now. Whilst he refuses to talk us up, I'm sure he's quietly confident he can take us up.

A situation though that he may never get another crack at, we have already seen how a manager stock can tumble very easily in this league. A successful manager will embrace a challenge, and I would say that keeping Stoke in the PL shouldn’t be that difficult, whereas getting not Derby could be viewed also as a failure.

As I said, I could see why he would stick with us, but to think stoke aren’t a better prospect than us is looking through rose coloured spectacles imo.

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

People are deluding thenselves if they think Rowett would stay at Derby over an established Premier League side.

We’re about 6-8 years away from where Stoke are now, where they deem their current position to be terrible.

I’d love the Joka here, his teams play great football. 

Their defence is non existent. Pretty easy to create an attacking side of you don’t ever plan to defend. Naive. 

Stoke haven't decided who they want yet. Until they do this is all this is candy floss.

having sacked Pulis due to the style of football, i would be surprised if GR is their first choice. GR can make teams defend more effectively and that might be attractive to Stoke but only for the short term. Stoke is a tricky job. A new manager could go there, and be out of work again at the end of the season. I doubt whether GR would be tempted even if it were offered. He has moulded the Derby team into what he wants, is well placed in the league and has 20 games to achieve something.

He has plenty of time to become another hired hand / fire fighter for Prem strugglers like Pulis, Warnock or Allardyce. I don't see this happening at all. 

18 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Stoke are one win away from 12th, they have a squad that would take years and millions for derby to build.  Any manager who has any confidence in his ability would probably be looking at a finish in the European positions next year rather than facing a relegation battle.  

Both getting promotion and staying in the league with both squads should be achievable to a capable manager, however I’m not sure why the bigger picture would be staying with Derby.  If losing his job is a fear through failure then you are right no point in moving, as that is not an attribute of a winner or someone who will make it to the top.  If it was staying as he could achieve greater things at Derby, then fair enough, but Id be surprised and disappointed if he wasn’t interested even if it was to strengthen his position here.

Stoke are in the bottom three, on an awful run, shipping goals , and have made three poor transfer decisions.It sounds like a recipe for relegation in the Swansea mould.

4 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Ok this thread has suddenly become more serious.

If Rowett is on his way then hopefully Mel has lined up Jokanovic to start work tomorrow. Or someone equally exciting. 

Garry Monk will NOT do Mel.

In the position we are I think we'd need to go down the route of a solid manager like Rowett, I mean that style of football that's what this team has been drilled towards anyway 

Archived