Matej Vydra

MackworthRamIsGod

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great post. Using rarely considered stats to give some proper insight.

That Ince shots stat is incredible and maybe why he was never truely loved. Maybe he should have not shot half the time and created a better chance for someone else.

14 goals from 129 shots isn't bad. You normally expect about 10 to 15 shots on goal per game. Ince had a lot of assists as well.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Coconut said:

He's got 11 championship goals from 29 shots. That's not 29 shots on target, it's 29 shots total. To put that in context, Ince's record was 14 championship goals from 129 shots.

Vydra's record this season is really quite incredible, especially if you consider that were not naturally that much of an attacking team.

I think it's fair to say that we've more than adequately replaced our top scorer from last season, not by buying a direct replacement but by setting our team up in a different way to suit other players already at the club. 

Sometimes it appears that we are now set up to suit only Vydra but I'd disagree with that, even if the rest of his game isn't too good, because we've seen plenty of examples of other players missing great chances - we probably don't create as many as we have done previously (statistically) but I think we create BETTER chances now.

Hopefully this also stops stupid people directly comparing Lawrence to Ince, different players, different roles, different system. Lawrence needs to up his game and I'm confident he will, but there's no reason he should be judged in the shadow of Ince.

I'd be one of those who would say that we are suited players like Vydra. Definitely. But at the same time I agree, that we do make better chances nowadays as usually there's more room to run...

Vydra's gain is Martin's loss and that's all down how we play. Both great players but to different styles.

Really happy for him. I will happily admit he's proved me wrong this season. However, I don't think you can blame some people for thinking he wouldn't come good. Let's be honest, for large parts of his first season here, he was dire and a shadow of the player we're seeing now. Well done Rowett for getting the best out of him.

I remember after the Hull game GR saying what he did for the likes of Vydra and Johnson, who we spent big on but hadn't got the best out of and Vydra especially is showing the results! 
GR said he sat and watched lots of footage of the players before we signed them, to see what made them £6million and £8million players, and he watched where Vydra played, positions he got into, spaces he needed making for him (which Nugent doesn't get enough credit for IMO) and replicated it perfectly

12 hours ago, Coconut said:

He's got 11 championship goals from 29 shots. That's not 29 shots on target, it's 29 shots total. To put that in context, Ince's record was 14 championship goals from 129 shots.

Vydra's record this season is really quite incredible, especially if you consider that were not naturally that much of an attacking team.

I think it's fair to say that we've more than adequately replaced our top scorer from last season, not by buying a direct replacement but by setting our team up in a different way to suit other players already at the club. 

Sometimes it appears that we are now set up to suit only Vydra but I'd disagree with that, even if the rest of his game isn't too good, because we've seen plenty of examples of other players missing great chances - we probably don't create as many as we have done previously (statistically) but I think we create BETTER chances now.

Hopefully this also stops stupid people directly comparing Lawrence to Ince, different players, different roles, different system. Lawrence needs to up his game and I'm confident he will, but there's no reason he should be judged in the shadow of Ince.

Does this make him the most clinical striker in the world right now?

I'm serious, is there anyone else in world football in double digits this season who's converted like Vydra has?

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Interesting stats maybe it explains why Derby are winning games despite not playing well. I was bored witless on Tuesday , no shots on goal in 45 minutes then vydra scores on stroke of half time. Last season was more entertaining but less efficient. 

It really wasn't, save for about the first 5 games under Mac.

In the same way that we stumbled on Ledley, i'm hoping that weimann may be another unexpected piece of the jigsaw.

His pace seems to work well. 

However i suspect bradley fighting vehicle will be back soon in preference. 

(Put hughes in with nugent, vydra, and Lawrence and we'd be even better).

42 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

I remember after the Hull game GR saying what he did for the likes of Vydra and Johnson, who we spent big on but hadn't got the best out of and Vydra especially is showing the results! 
GR said he sat and watched lots of footage of the players before we signed them, to see what made them £6million and £8million players, and he watched where Vydra played, positions he got into, spaces he needed making for him (which Nugent doesn't get enough credit for IMO) and replicated it perfectly

Great point about Nugent I went yesterday and he was taking Gibson out of his comfort zone all the time Nugent is far better footballer than I've given him credit for He's not just a goalscorer he's very skillful and got a brain 

25 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I'm serious, is there anyone else in world football in double digits this season who's converted like Vydra has?

Doubt it. They are phenomenal stats if correct. Add a nought to the end of his value on the back of them stats I'd say.

37 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Great point about Nugent I went yesterday and he was taking Gibson out of his comfort zone all the time Nugent is far better footballer than I've given him credit for He's not just a goalscorer he's very skillful and got a brain 

Agree with this, Nugent reminds me a bit of Goddard, does a lot of hard work which goes unnoticed, but I am sure there strike partners and managers appreciate all there hardwork and intelligence.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Salah ? Kane? Timo Werner? 

Interesting stats on Vydra. Its commonly accepted the difference between top level strikers & the rest is the ability to score a higher % of chances. Higher the level, the less chances will come your way. No wonder the lad has played at Premiership level & I suspect were confidence not to be an issue, he could play at that level again.

Watching the post match interviews last night, was struck by Rowett's comment that he only sees him as a number 10 & hence he either utilises him there or not at all. I totally agree & am surprised its taken so long for everyone around the club to recognise not only his finishing potential but his vision & ability to thread quality passes in the final 3rd.

A natural 10 therefore & I bet Pearson & McClaren must be kicking themselves to have had such a talent at their disposal but utterly failed to extract the maximum out of him. And no, slavish devotion to tactical formations is not an excuse (whether 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 respectively) - your players dictate your formation, not the other way round - that's good management.

19 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Yeah, but he still missed a sitter away at Wolves last season.......

Love the idiots who stay quiet now when proved wrong.....but who’ll quite happily shout when they are right.....

STAY f****** QUIET

Were we rebuilding into something more akin to Mac 1 he would have been out and rightly so. 

What are folk supposed to say? Evidently good player plays well when used correctly but in the scenario at the time would never have been used correctly. 

Football isn’t black and white 

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

However i suspect bradley fighting vehicle will be back soon in preference. 

Can't fault him for effort and there are plenty of games where he has an impact, but to be brutally honest I can't wait for the day we sell him to wipe out the temptation for any future manager to pick him.

Struggle to think of a Derby player who I've taken so little pleasure in watching them play, taking out the obvious s**** ones like Claude Davis. I can see what he's in the side to do and most of the time he's good at doing it. I just don't enjoy watching it happen.

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

Can't fault him for effort and there are plenty of games where he has an impact, but to be brutally honest I can't wait for the day we sell him to wipe out the temptation for any future manager to pick him.

Struggle to think of a Derby player who I've taken so little pleasure in watching them play, taking out the obvious s**** ones like Claude Davis. I can see what he's in the side to do and most of the time he's good at doing it. I just don't enjoy watching it happen.

I actually enjoy how he scores a lot and kicks the crap out of the opposition ... and he’s a beast in the air too ... but grace he has not although I do recall one fanciful Christiano move at Pride Park a while back ...

Archived