Matej Vydra

MackworthRamIsGod

I love Matej Vydra.

He has been involved in about 16 games this season and scored 8 goals so far, 1 in 2 so far.

He wasn't in the squad for Wolves, didn't play against reading and has been on the bench a couple of times.

Vydra needs to start, every game.

I honestly don't think we have seen the best from him yet, a fully fit fully confident Vydra would be a joy to watch.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that it’s great that he has come through after a lot of criticism. He is a goal scorer and would get more if Lawrence remembered to pass more often. 

Yesterday showed the fine line between brilliance and failure. Too often we see Tom glide past a defender only to run straight into another one whilst a team mate screams for the ball. Yesterday the pass was delivered perfectly and Vydra made the rest look easy.

If Vydra gets the service there’s no reason he couldn’t hit twenty this season .

30 minutes ago, sage said:

Yet apart from the goal he was awful yesterday.

All you ask from the striker is to score goals.

I remember after 10 mins of the first half seeing Nugent up front, then a bank of 5 players about 20 yards behind, one being Vydra, I thought how the hell are Vydra and Nugent meant to link up if they are so far apart.

27 minutes ago, sage said:

Yet apart from the goal he was awful yesterday.

This is my issue too.

He's so wasteful at 10 but that's also what makes him good in that position. He always tries the most audacious option available to him when he has the ball, no matter how unlikely it is. Always opens up to face goal, even if he runs slap bang straight into someone, always tries the through ball, even if Nugents never getting there and always takes the shot, even if he's 30 yards out.

But then we win games by a goal or two and he's scored. Even if I think we've played s***.

Perfect example was the Sheff Wednesday game. We were awful and he was completely ineffective for almost the entire game, that ten man Wednesday side created more chances than we did all game, probably deserved a draw. But it didn't matter because Vydra effectively won the game for us in the first five minutes. Won the penalty, got their captain sent off and then scored it.

He sort of holds us back from being a decent attacking team but is the reason we win games. It's bizarre, I do like him as a player but I can definitely tell why he hasn't made it in the PL.

I still think Martin, someone sensible, intelligent and efficient on the ball, could be the perfect foil to him but Rowett seems absolutely determined to not play them together. It's like he's got a bet with someone that he can go the entire season without playing them together.

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

All you ask from the striker is to score goals.

I remember after 10 mins of the first half seeing Nugent up front, then a bank of 5 players about 20 yards behind, one being Vydra, I thought how the hell are Vydra and Nugent meant to link up if they are so far apart.

You need more from a striker than that. You defend from the front and attack from the back.

If a striker is not making himself a realistic option, not pressuring the ball where you want it, not making space for others then his goals may not be enough to win the game. 

This was the problem with Bent. He may score but too often we were under pressure and at risk of conceding because we had to cover goal line to 6 yard box with 10 men.

3 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I remember an interview with troy Deeney a couple of years back and he always said Vydra was the best finisher he'd ever played with. 

In my eyes he's different class , always thought that. We just need to use him to his full potential. 

Like getting him near the penalty area a bit more ? He is no use running around the middle third.

A defenders nightmare with his pace.

Why is there never Martin/Vydra?

When we signed him we thought that was the idea. When he signed he thought that was the idea? OK, i guess we'd lose the "pressing from the front" and with our heavy tank midfield....

Anyway, I'm glad he's in the goals and he looks dangerous between the oppositions midfield and defence...just need to link defence and attack better.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Why is there never Martin/Vydra?

When we signed him we thought that was the idea. When he signed he thought that was the idea? OK, i guess we'd lose the "pressing from the front" and with our heavy tank midfield....

Anyway, I'm glad he's in the goals and he looks dangerous between the oppositions midfield and defence...just need to link defence and attack better.

I think your right , my guess is that rowett  feels that nugent just edges it over martin with the pressing from the front and closing defenders down bit 

3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

This is my issue too.

He's so wasteful at 10 but that's also what makes him good in that position. He always tries the most audacious option available to him when he has the ball, no matter how unlikely it is. Always opens up to face goal, even if he runs slap bang straight into someone, always tries the through ball, even if Nugents never getting there and always takes the shot, even if he's 30 yards out.

But then we win games by a goal or two and he's scored. Even if I think we've played s***.

Perfect example was the Sheff Wednesday game. We were awful and he was completely ineffective for almost the entire game, that ten man Wednesday side created more chances than we did all game, probably deserved a draw. But it didn't matter because Vydra effectively won the game for us in the first five minutes. Won the penalty, got their captain sent off and then scored it.

He sort of holds us back from being a decent attacking team but is the reason we win games. It's bizarre, I do like him as a player but I can definitely tell why he hasn't made it in the PL.

I still think Martin, someone sensible, intelligent and efficient on the ball, could be the perfect foil to him but Rowett seems absolutely determined to not play them together. It's like he's got a bet with someone that he can go the entire season without playing them together.

I agree I think Martin and Vydra are a perfect match and as hard as Nugent works he just can’t hold the ball up. I would like to see Martin and Vydra over the next few games and use Nugent as a impact sub

Archived