Matej Vydra

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think comments saying vydra was poor are very harsh, once he went off we completely fell apart. It’s not easy playing as the number 10, especially when no one in midfield isn’t providing any sort of link to the attack, and I thought vydra did a decent job. Sure not everything came off, but at least he’s trying something a bit different, and he’s unselfish. Take him out the equation and you’ve got a team with no Flair and no real ability to break down the opposition, other than flashes from Lawrence he’s the only bit of Flair we have left and is absolutely vital to us. 

Ha a look at the stats earlier and he has the best goals per min ratio of anyone in the top scorers Chart, which begs the question of why he ain’t always on the team sheet. We saw what happened at reading without him. Suppose the trouble is his weakness on the ball, but I think we need to find a solution to this with a tactical switch imo, cause he’s our best forward and we need to make better use of him sometimes.

12 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

Because someone is supposed to do a bit of defensive work as well, like tracking back his opponents and doing some tackling.

That's what Vydra's been doing isn't it? Or is Rowett just expecting whoever plays deeper not to do any defensive work?

17 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

That's what Vydra's been doing isn't it?

M. Vydra is certainly doing his defensive contributions accordingly to his abilities, except he's kind of lightweight player. I think the problem is more the other one, the player you are suggesting he should be paired with. ;)

1 hour ago, lioncoeur said:

Because someone is supposed to do a bit of defensive work as well, like tracking back his opponents and doing some tackling.

Isn’t that the job of the defensive Mids? We need to be on the front foot more apart from Vydra and Lawrence we have no creativity in this team we can’t just try and stop teams and hope we pinch a goal 

16 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

Not necessarily, in modern football even strikers are supposed to contribute and do their defensive part of job.

I agree to some extent but please don’t suck the small piece of creativity we have out of this team we can’t have a team of runners and kickers.

On 19/11/2017 at 10:43, MackworthRamIsGod said:

All you ask from the striker is to score goals.

But Vydra isn't being played as a striker, he's being played as a creative midfielder.  Pretty much the whole reason you set up in a 4231 is to allow the guy in the centre of those 3 to have a free role, get on the ball, dictate the game and so on. The only outfield starters on Saturday to have less touches than Vydra were Nugent and Fonte. And he gave the ball away more than anybody on the pitch and created absolutely nothing as well.

So with Vydra there, we're basically falling back into a 442, but it's horribly unbalanced because we've got 2 sitting midfielders (meaning no runners from midfield) and 2 out-and-out attacking wingers (meaning we get over run in midfield as there's no 3rd man in there).

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

But Vydra isn't being played as a striker, he's being played as a creative midfielder.  Pretty much the whole reason you set up in a 4231 is to allow the guy in the centre of those 3 to have a free role, get on the ball, dictate the game and so on. The only outfield starters on Saturday to have less touches than Vydra were Nugent and Fonte. And he gave the ball away more than anybody on the pitch and created absolutely nothing as well.

So with Vydra there, we're basically falling back into a 442, but it's horribly unbalanced because we've got 2 sitting midfielders (meaning no runners from midfield) and 2 out-and-out attacking wingers (meaning we get over run in midfield as there's no 3rd man in there).

Agreeing with most of this, but I don't think is unbalanced. It's just made for counter-attacks and players like Vydra.

Horrible to watch but not horribly unbalanced.

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Agreeing with most of this, but I don't think is unbalanced. It's just made for counter-attacks and players like Vydra.

Horrible to watch but not horribly unbalanced.

Well, at least it's unbalanced for the 90% of the time when we're not counter attacking.  There's no link up at all between midfield and the forwards - the 2 midfielders both sit deep and the 4 forwards all want to be making runs in behind, so you get massive gaps appearing.

43 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Well, at least it's unbalanced for the 90% of the time when we're not counter attacking.  There's no link up at all between midfield and the forwards - the 2 midfielders both sit deep and the 4 forwards all want to be making runs in behind, so you get massive gaps appearing.

That's true.

I'd still try Lawrence as 10, just to narrow the gap and get someone in there who can actually keep hold of the ball for a couple of seconds.

Archived