Will Hughes Watch

Day

17 minutes ago, cannable said:

When was he ever easily bullied?

Never gave the ball away

I've never ever got why people say Hughes could be bullied off the ball. Not losing possesion even when facing a lot of pressure was probably his best quality, the only time when you could say he got 'bullied' is when an opposing player decided to clatter him and commit a foul.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Will's biggest strength lies outside of his technical ability. I think his biggest asset is that he plays passes that make the other players decisions for them, in other words he puts the ball exactly where it should be put.

The number of times I've seen him play a perfectly weighted ball into the path of the player and that pass makes the next move natural.

You really can't teach that kind of awareness and not many players have it. IF he's gone backwards and it's a big if, then it's a crying indictment of the coaching of natural talent out of young English kids. He's an intelligent lad Will, both on and off the field. He's a cut above the average footballer and always has been.

He needs to get his break, once he gets it he'll stay in the side. 

Once he's played 20 games for Watford he'll be in the England squad, we don't have many midfielders who can do what Will does when he's playing at the top of his game.

3 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I think Will's biggest strength lies outside of his technical ability. I think his biggest asset is that he plays passes that make the other players decisions for them, in other words he puts the ball exactly where it should be put.

The number of times I've seen him play a perfectly weighted ball into the path of the player and that pass makes the next move natural.

You really can't teach that kind of awareness and not many players have it. IF he's gone backwards and it's a big if, then it's a crying indictment of the coaching of natural talent out of young English kids. He's an intelligent lad Will, both on and off the field. He's a cut above the average footballer and always has been.

Once he's played 20 games for Watford he'll be in the England squad, we don't have many midfielders who can do what Will does when he's playing at the top of his game.

Always thought from the day he made his debut that he's the one player you should build the team around.

16 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Always thought from the day he made his debut that he's the one player you should build the team around.

Above everythig else, this is what makes me doubt Rowett. Given the manager was adamant when he arrived that we could still make the playoffs, it was somewhat perverse to tie one hand behind his back and not pick his best player. And even if he didn't actually believe that, and the reason he didn't pick Will when he first took over was that he'd been told Hughes wouldn't be here this season, Rowett still failed in his stated brief to increase the value of the playing staff. Not picking Will clearly had an impact on his transfer fee as Watford ended up buying a Derby reserve.

Building the side around Hughes (who we could so desperately do with now) might even have persuaded him of a bright season ahead at Derby.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Above everythig else, this is what makes me doubt Rowett. Given the manager was adamant when he arrived that we could still make the playoffs, it was somewhat perverse to tie one hand behind his back and not pick his best player. And even if he didn't actually believe that, and the reason he didn't pick Will when he first took over was that he'd been told Hughes wouldn't be here this season, Rowett still failed in his stated brief to increase the value of the playing staff. Not picking Will clearly had an impact on his transfer fee as Watford ended up buying a Derby reserve.

Building the side around Hughes (who we could so desperately do with now) might even have persuaded him of a bright season ahead at Derby.

Will had no intention to leave and would happily have stayed to see us in the Premier League.

3 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

So much this.

On 9/26/2017 at 17:14, MuespachRam said:

Just watched that....anyone who thinks he isn't in the top 3 players ever to play for us is a crazy fool....

On 9/27/2017 at 16:50, MuespachRam said:

I had a conversation last night about William with a friend of mine and he ended the chat with "anyone who cant see that Hughes is a class act and one of, if not the best player in our history just knows nothing about football" I think that is pretty much exactly right.

graham.jpg.14c1b892a3423278219739966554f768.jpg

Now I'm not saying the lad's not a good player, but top 3?  "One of, if not the best player in our history"?

Ahem:

Steve Bloomer, Jack Barker, Sammy Crookes, Daly Duncan, Colin Todd, Igor Stimac, David Nish, Kevin Hector, Roy McFarland, Peter Doherty, Francis Lee, Charlie George, Dave Mackay, Leon Leuty, Stefano Eranio, Steve Powell, Alan Hinton, Alan Durban, Reg Harrison, Archie Goodall, John Goodall, Archie Gemmill, Ted McMinn, Roger Davies,Mark Wright, Leighton James, Giorgi Kinkladzi, John McGovern, Jack Bowers, Jack Stamps, Tommy Cooper, Inigo Idiakez, Raitch Carter, Gary Charles, Paul McGrath, Terry Hennersey, Aljosa Asanovic Jimmy Methven, Bobby Davidson, Dean Saunders, Francesco Baiano, John O'Hare, Bruce Rioch, Dai Astley, Peter Shilton, Willie Carlin, Rod Thomas, Dean Sturridge, Peter Daniel,  Jack Howe,  And so on for several pages.

Now pull yourself together that man.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Will had no intention to leave and would happily have stayed to see us in the Premier League.

eh? Of course he did.

Triple/quadruple/whatever your wages and play in the Premiership or stay at Derby. As much as I didn't want him to go, he'd had his time with us and needed a move for the sake of his career.  Not sure he's made the right move, but time will tell...

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

eh? Of course he did.

Triple/quadruple/whatever your wages and play in the Premiership or stay at Derby. As much as I didn't want him to go, he'd had his time with us and needed a move for the sake of his career.  Not sure he's made the right move, but time will tell...

Yeah, i get the wage thing but i meant he wasn't actively looking to go until Gary made it clear he wasn't part of his plans.

41 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yeah, i get the wage thing but i meant he wasn't actively looking to go until Gary made it clear he wasn't part of his plans.

I don't know what has been said. May be Hughes wanted a crack at the Premier League and Rowett told him he was wasting his time at Derby it was never going to happen. 

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Or maybe Rowett didn't play him because he said he wanted to leave?  Its all speculation.

Personally, I think he deserved his chance in the Prem.  Another season or 2 or 3 or more in the Championship with Derby and he'd never get a move.  Not sure he was advised well to go to Watford but its early days I guess.

Archived