Will Hughes Watch

Day

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, cannable said:

Hate arguments that centre around X playing Y games for Z.

Claude Davis has played more Premier League games than Keogh!

And was a decent player as well, hence why we paid £3m for him at the time.

If 3 seasons in the Premier League and 13 international caps isn't a good indicator that someone has shown more than a player that can't get on Watfords bench then I'm not sure what would.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If 3 seasons in the Premier League and 13 international caps isn't a good indicator that someone has shown more than a player that can't get on Watfords bench then I'm not sure what would.

It's a strange one. I'd also rather have Hughes in my team than Jake Livermore.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

tenor.gif

5 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

It's a strange one. I'd also rather have Hughes in my team than Jake Livermore.

Huddlestone has X Premier League, Y Champions League appearances and 4 England caps compared to Thorne and yet isn’t a patch on him.

Circumstance is one of, if not the, biggest factors in football.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

tenor.gif

Not sure if the forum was around then, but if it was I am sure you would not have found too many objections to his signing. Before he joined us, he was a beast and absolutely bossed us every time we played against him. Unfortunately, like many of our signings of that time, he subsequently turned into a complete and utter disgrace. 

Huddlestone has X Premier League, Y Champions League appearances and 4 England caps compared to Thorne and yet isn’t a patch on him.

Circumstance is one of, if not the, biggest factors in football.

You're comparing apples with pears though.

You're comparing a 30 year old coming to the end of his career with a 24 year old who's career has not even take off.

You're comparing over 200 Premier League, Champions League and full international matches, with 60 Championship matches. 

You're comparing proven ability with potential. 

Do I think Thorne has the potential to surpass what Huddlestone has done? Yes. Do I think Thorne has proven that he can do what Huddlestone has already achieved? No not even close.

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if the forum was around then, but if it was I am sure you would not have found too many objections to his signing. Before he joined us, he was a beast and absolutely bossed us every time we played against him. Unfortunately, like many of our signings of that time, he subsequently turned into a complete and utter disgrace. 

You're comparing apples with pears though.

You're comparing a 30 year old coming to the end of his career with a 24 year old who's career has not even take off.

You're comparing over 200 Premier League, Champions League and full international matches, with 60 Championship matches. 

You're comparing proven ability with potential. 

Do I think Thorne has the potential to surpass what Huddlestone has done? Yes. Do I think Thorne has proven that he can do what Huddlestone has already achieved? No not even close.

Thirty is nowhere near old for a sitting midfielder and, barring central-defensive lumps, is the position on the pitch in which age is least relevant.

Thorne has proven that he reads the game better than Huddlestone, is better in the air than him, and has a more variable range of passing than him.

Huddlestone’s better with his left and has a greater range of passing. 

Potential in football is about getting the opportunity to show how good you are, not how good you could be. 

I do believe that Robbie Savage once said that there were loads of players in United’s academy who were better than him but fell out of the game whereas everything just fell right for him.

That’s football.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Thirty is nowhere near old for a sitting midfielder and, barring central-defensive lumps, is the position on the pitch in which age is least relevant.

Thorne has proven that he reads the game better than Huddlestone, is better in the air than him, and has a more variable range of passing than him.

Potential in football is about getting the opportunity to show how good you are, not how good you could be. 

I do believe that Robbie Savage once said that there were loads of players in United’s academy who were better than him but fell out of the game whereas everything just fell right for him.

That’s football.

Don't they say 28/29 is peak age for outfield players? After that you are on your way down. The only position where age is not really relevant is goalkeeper.

Thorne has proven he can play at Championship level. 

Huddlestone has proven he can play at Premier League, Champions League and International level.

There really is no comparison to be made at this point in time. 

It's not just about circumstances in my opinion, over time players will nearly always find their right level. 

Players who don't progress as expected may lose confidence but recovering from set backs is an important part of being a footballer.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't they say 28/29 is peak age for outfield players? After that you are on your way down. The only position where age is not really relevant is goalkeeper.

Thorne has proven he can play at Championship level. 

Huddlestone has proven he can play at Premier League, Champions League and International level.

There really is no comparison to be made at this point in time. 

It's not just about circumstances in my opinion, over time players will nearly always find their right level. 

Players who don't progress as expected may lose confidence but recovering from set backs is an important part of being a footballer.

Is that necessarily true? Does it not depend and where and how you play? I keep hearing Keogh state that; “centre-halves tend to peak later so I feel i’m about it reach it” and I can’t help but think ‘your game’s based on pace though mate’.

Did Brian Clough not once state that, despite having only played second division football, McFarland was the best centre-half in the country? He was proven right but had McFarland been told he could never player again that doesn’t make what Clough stated wrong. 

Loads and loads and loads of variables that affect players’ careers. A career isn’t necessarily a reflection on ability.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Is that necessarily true? Does it not depend and where and how you play? I keep hearing Keogh state that; “centre-halves tend to peak later so I feel i’m about it reach it” and I can’t help but think ‘your game’s based on pace though mate’.

Did Brian Clough not once state that, despite having only played second division football, McFarland was the best centre-half in the country? He was proven right but had McFarland been told he could never player again that doesn’t make what Clough stated wrong. 

Loads and loads and loads of variables that affect players’ careers. A career isn’t necessarily a reflection on ability.

Fair comment but I struggle to think of anyou outstanding players that have failed to make it to the top level over a whole career.

That’s football.

I do wonder about most of the things Savage comes out with but maybe on this occasion he was probably right.

Archived