Derby County V Reading

peachmyster

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My third trip south for a game in a few weeks. 1200 miles travelled overall and I got a draw, a win and a defeat. That probably reflects where are at the moment.

On a far happier note, I went to the game with my brother and sister in law who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary yesterday. They have hardly missed a home game throughout those years. Not much of a present from the team.

However, we were in the hospitality suite and treated to a Q and A session before the game with Roger Davies, Roy McFarland and Colin Todd. Very amusing and several references to the effect Brian Clough had on them and their team mates, how good a finisher Kevin Hector was, how Roy always looked for John O'Hare if he didn't know where to pass the ball as he never gave it away. Toddy even wondered whether he might still be able to play.....having watched the game, I think he might have a point!

So, a lovely day spoiled by the football? 

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

We were s***, Reading were good. Exposed our biggest weakness, pace. Once Keogh went off, that is a slow back four.

No time to wade through comments but if he had moved Wisdom across into Keoghs slot we would still have had a mobile CH who could run the ball out of defence. Baird could have come on as RB.

3 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

My third trip south for a game in a few weeks. 1200 miles travelled overall and I got a draw, a win and a defeat. That probably reflects where are at the moment.

On a far happier note, I went to the game with my brother and sister in law who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary yesterday. They have hardly missed a home game throughout those years. Not much of a present from the team.

However, we were in the hospitality suite and treated to a Q and A session before the game with Roger Davies, Roy McFarland and Colin Todd. Very amusing and several references to the effect Brian Clough had on them and their team mates, how good a finisher Kevin Hector was, how Roy always looked for John O'Hare if he didn't know where to pass the ball as he never gave it away. Toddy even wondered whether he might still be able to play.....having watched the game, I think he might have a point!

So, a lovely day spoiled by the football? 

That would have been a great q & a for RamsTV to film.

Really poor yesterday but I wasn't at all surprised by the result based on the way we have played in previous home games.

All well and good when are winning but when we lose, inevitably the reactions will be bad because of the style of football.

Poor team selection (everyone knows by now that Huddlestone/Johnson) Doesn't work, poor substitutions and ridiculous having an injured player on the bench that he did not want to use.

Very bad day at the office but it's on the back of a good run and we still find ourselves in a decent position.

Hopefully, yesterday was a bit of a reality check. Think we are nowhere near good enough to make the play offs. Hope I'm wrong

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really poor yesterday but I wasn't at all surprised by the result based on the way we have played in previous home games.

All well and good when are winning but when we lose, inevitably the reactions will be bad because of the style of football.

Poor team selection (everyone knows by now that Huddlestone/Johnson) Doesn't work, poor substitutions and ridiculous having an injured player on the bench that he did not want to use.

Very bad day at the office but it's on the back of a good run and we still find ourselves in a decent position.

Hopefully, yesterday was a bit of a reality check. Think we are nowhere near good enough to make the play offs. Hope I'm wrong

Agree with all the above, but I have to say we have the squad capable of getting in the top 6 especially with some additions in January, it’s just managerial naivety like yesterday that will kill us. Poor team selection tactically cost us yesterday, but I’ll give rowett credit as the last two games he got it spot on really. Poor day at the office for him yesterday, just hope he learns from it or he will cost us.

Derby's players are good enough for promotion. We have the tools and resources.

Will they will be managed and coached to get us there is the pivotal issue. 

Gary has clearly stated he is aiming for promotion so he knows they're good enough and therefore accepts the responsibility to get us there.

It's too early to say if we're on track (or not), lucky, naive, forming, storming, norming or whatever. 

2 weeks off now to sort it out and make the necessary amendments.

Just seen Gary's interview and it worries me a bit that we seem to need the international break at this stage of the season.What's the position going to be in the second half of the season when (from memory only,so correct me if I'm wrong) these breaks are fewer.

Sure, I get the point that we had tough away games,but I'm sure come 2018 we're going to have to play 3 tough games a week on occasions.

I also remember him saying recently that we were having a? tough session a week concentrating on fitness (or words to that effect),though I'm not suggesting we had this last week. I always thought that you put in the hard work pre season,and that the matches themselves kept everyone fit. Given the amount of hard work Gary expects from his players during games,I would have thought this might be enough?

Mind you,after a performance like that I'd concede that we all might start over analysing,me included.

Could be because it will give more time for Keogh and Ledley to recover from injury - Keogh's a key player for us, both defensively and driving forward from the back. I assume he'll withdraw from the Ireland squad for the WC playoffs.

Also maybe allow George Thorne to get some more minutes under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take Huddlestones' place and partner Ledley in the Fulham match.

10 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Derby's players are good enough for promotion. We have the tools and resources.

Will they will be managed and coached to get us there is the pivotal issue. 

Gary has clearly stated he is aiming for promotion so he knows they're good enough and therefore accepts the responsibility to get us there.

It's too early to say if we're on track (or not), lucky, naive, forming, storming, norming or whatever. 

2 weeks off now to sort it out and make the necessary amendments.

No way is our midfield even top half quality tbh, ;ledley has saved us. We need a top class CM

15 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Could be because it will give more time for Keogh and Ledley to recover from injury - Keogh's a key player for us, both defensively and driving forward from the back. I assume he'll withdraw from the Ireland squad for the WC playoffs.

Also maybe allow George Thorne to get some more minutes under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take Huddlestones' place and partner Ledley in the Fulham match.

Think he said it more in the context of players (possibly) being generally tired.

10 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

No way is our midfield even top half quality tbh, ;ledley has saved us. We need a top class CM

Ledley: 83 PL games, 18 Champions league games, some European Championship games etc..

Huddlestone: 242 PL games, 7 CL games, national caps etc...

Not sure we can attract better players at the moment. Who would you be happy with?

On 11/4/2017 at 17:47, Mistaram said:

What a silly thing to say Shackell finished he's still the best defender in the club give your head a shake its only Rowett who wants him and Anya out 

He has never been the best defender at the club...and that’s saying something with some of the absolute rubbish we have there..!!

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

He has never been the best defender at the club...and that’s saying something with some of the absolute rubbish we have there..!!

I would imagine that Shackell, Anya and possibly Olsen are on their way out to make room for new blood.

Hello chaps, Royals fan back here.

Well, bloody hell, I'm shocked by that result and performance by us. Bad day at the office for you guys I suppose, I am surprised but that's football. Keogh going off and Agent Pearce coming on sounded like it was key, our attacking players turned up and Stam got his tactics right (hallelujah). 

All the best for the rest of the season, I think you'll be top 6, not so sure about us yet but this week has been really good. 

Ledley, Huddlestone, Johnson, Thorne, Russell, Lawrence, Anya, Bryson etc aren't top half quality?

We ARE top half, no?

There's a lot of talent and potential right there. A good manager would have that midfield (with our defence and attacking options) def top half.

Like many others, I'll see how it pans out but we are def top half with potential for so much more.

The Sunderland fans in my office are dreaming of a squad like ours.

On 04/11/2017 at 10:08, jono said:

Wow ! ..... Plucked from obscurity in the lower reaches of the east stand, promising 58 year old gets his debut .... Thanks mate. I'm really going to enjoy this one. 

The gamble didn't pay off... still you looked quicker than Huddlestone :ph34r:

Archived