Derby County V Birmingham City

peachmyster

Just now, Paul71 said:

I know its easy to have a reaction like that but there have certainly been worse games since Mac 1 took over.

Derby 0 MK Dons 1 (Wassall)

Derby 0 Birmingham 3 (Clement)

Derby 0 Reading 3 (Mcclaren)

Just a few that spring to mind.

(Derby 0 - Hull 3 - Just thought of that one - Wassall)

Draw today was a good result for this Derby team. 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was uninspiring to say the least. Its bound to be when Richard Keogh is the one simultaneously providing assists and putting in our most dangerous crosses into the box.

Lawrence looked dangerous, just had no final ball.

Weimann and Vydra didn't even look dangerous IMO.

Nugent was ineffective. Late shot in the first half aside, I can't remember him doing anything.

Martin, Winnall and Bennett were all vast improvements.

Olsson looked worryingly lost time and time again.

Davies and Keogh were alright as a partnership. Keogh was by far man of the match.

Baird was his typical solid, unambitious self.

Now, my two biggest bugbears.

Carson, couldn't do anything for the goal, but his kicking was atrocious and it has been for most of this season. Time and time again Baird watched the ball sail over his head and out of play. And numerous times he would kick the ball straight to their players in midfield, which brings me onto our biggest problem.

Huddlestone and Johnson as a deep lying two simply doesn't work. As soon as one gets drawn out of position (mainly Johnson when he presses), the other is left trying to deal with two players and he can't do it.

It was so demoralising to see two Birmingham players take on the majority of our team without so much as a single challenge being put in before Keogh blocked the shot.

A better team would tear us to shreds and as seen by last week they have done. All this talk of energy and pace in pre season from Rowett and not only do we have neither, we also have no creativity. Talk about making your own bed.

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Considering we are carrying some players and we are away next week

Carson

wisdom  Keogh Davies Forsyth 

lawrence Huddlestone Ledley Johnson 

Martin winnall 

Can’t put Forsyth in he’s not fit enough. You could get more effort out of Bruce than Craig at the moment 

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

Well that was uninspiring to say the least. Its bound to be when Richard Keogh is the one simultaneously providing assists and putting in our most dangerous crosses into the box.

Lawrence looked dangerous, just had no final ball.

Weimann and Vydra didn't even look dangerous IMO.

Nugent was ineffective. Late shot in the first half aside, I can't remember him doing anything.

Martin, Winnall and Bennett were all vast improvements.

Olsson looked worryingly lost time and time again.

Davies and Keogh were alright as a partnership. Keogh was by far man of the match.

Baird was his typical solid, unambitious self.

Now, my two biggest bugbears.

Carson, couldn't do anything for the goal, but his kicking was atrocious and it has been for most of this season. Time and time again Baird watched the ball sail over his head and out of play. And numerous times he would kick the ball straight to their players in midfield, which brings me onto our biggest problem.

Huddlestone and Johnson as a deep lying two simply doesn't work. As soon as one gets drawn out of position (mainly Johnson when he presses), the other is left trying to deal with two players and he can't do it.

It was so demoralising to see two Birmingham players take on the majority of our team without so much as a single challenge being put in before Keogh blocked the shot.

A better team would tear us to shreds and as seen by last week they have done. All this talk of energy and pace in pre season from Rowett and not only do we have neither, we also have no creativity. Talk about making your own bed.

How can a winger look dangerous with no final ball. Re: Lawrence 

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Isn’t that more the two men behinds job though? Vydras role in that system is to be the luxury flair player that makes something magic happen when he gets the ball, not take control of the game. Hudds and Johnson should be doing that but seemingly aren’t. Vydra is the sort of player who needs a side performing well around him to be effective, like against Hull.

If he's allowed a free role then he's leaving a massive hole in front of Johnson and Huddlestone though which is part of the problem when those two get caught out. If hes allowed to do that, then theres a major problem. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but when things aren't going for you then he needs to be a player who can be a difference maker as he's in the role to do that.

5 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Can’t put Forsyth in he’s not fit enough. You could get more effort out of Bruce than Craig at the moment 

Steve Bruce? Put him in goal we will never let a goal in again.

2 minutes ago, Doodle said:

How can a winger look dangerous with no final ball. Re: Lawrence 

You can get into good positions, get past players and have the final ball let you down. You can look like something is about to happen and it just gets away from you at the last second.

Or you can be like Vydra and Weimann and never even look like doing anything with the ball.

1 hour ago, Cool As Custard said:

Wish everyone would calm down. The team is being rebuilt & it's going to take time. It's not a game of Football Manager & it won't be until after 2 more transfer windows that GR can be judged. We aren't going to get promoted this season & we won't get relegated. It'll be exactly the same end result as the last 3 years although finally someone will have made a real fist of the rebuilding that has been long overdue.

Results like today are an inevitable part of the rebuilding process. I wish everyone calling for GR's head would get things into perspective  & lose this sense of over entitlement that seems to have become more widespread since the playoff final. Another change in manager is not the answer & would more than likely  send us plunging towards  the relegaton zone. We need to back the manager, trust his judgement & support the team.

You're completely right, if GR is the right manager. Time will tell. Of course what matters is what Mel thinks. Recent history doesn't suggest that he's a patient person though TBF.

27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He's not a midfield player.

He's position currently Central Attacking Midfielder which would suggest he is though?

Unless you are saying he's currently in the similar situation to Johnson as 'square peg in round hole' and Johnson should be further up the pitch in Vydras position then I fully agree

Bit of a none event really. 2 Mediochre teams playing out a scrappy game. 30 minutes of cavalry charge wasn t exactly edifying or anything like how a match should be played at this level.

plus points 

Keogh had a good game as did Davies. Vydra always looks positive but would have done better if Lawrence had stopped comming inside and drawing players in to overcrowded space. When he is well positioned Tom is dangerous and at least when he's out wide we look a threat because of his crossing ability. He can be a match winner but hasn't found his groove 

Winall looks a great addition and Masons robustness and strength is useful. 

Negatives. Worst game I've seen Huddlestone play. And Johno's passing and lack of concentration was dire. Nuge was missing his desire for huge chunks of the game presumeBly because he got peed off that he wasn't getting any ball. 

A great big "meh" and a dull afternoon... But at least we salvaged a point which was a fair result. 

I didn't watch much of the game, but I don't think I needed to in order to get an understanding of the performance and where we're heading without a big change   in direction. 

We just look a bit slow and flat. I don't think our deep lying midfielders protect the back four anywhere near enough and our full backs look pinned back. It really does make us look like a disjointed outlet with no fluidity to our play at all. 

I think Rowett is a decent manager, but we look like a team in transition. Fundamentally, we look like a team that lacks the required quality. 

Two tough games coming up now. We really need to show more if we're to pick up any points at all. 

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know its easy to have a reaction like that but there have certainly been worse games since Mac 1 took over.

Derby 0 MK Dons 1 (Wassall)

Derby 0 Birmingham 3 (Clement)

Derby 0 Reading 3 (Mcclaren)

Just a few that spring to mind.

(Derby 0 - Hull 3 - Just thought of that one - Wassall)

In my opinion today was the worst game I have seen....the mk Dons result was exciting football in comparison.

7 minutes ago, Gritters said:

May be not.

I wish Bennett had made me eat my words when he ran through with one of our better chances.  He needs to be scoring them now if he's going to get anywhere. He did well for our goal and showed a bit of spark when he came on.

Me too...exactly what was going through my mind...come on Mason, ram my words down my throat and make me choke on them...alas! History...

we've gone from a side that controlled games to a side that barely controls the football...we lose possession so easily and the players look like they have no idea what they are about to do when the ball comes to them. The best player on the pitch today was Keogh...he was our most creative outlet and he's a centre back. 

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

In my opinion today was the worst game I have seen....the mk Dons result was exciting football in comparison.

Of course you are entitled to that opinion, in my opinion it was nowehere near as bad as those games i mentioned. And those under NP....could probably list all of them.

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If Russell has thrown his toys out as was kind of intimated by Rowett I wouldn't blame him, seeing Weimann ahead of him must grate.

Probably feeling hard done by after scoring  that cracker in the cup and still being placed behind weiman who just runs around a lot...a typical GR player I suppose.

Never mind,I'm sure he will soon be sold or loaned about to another key rival,score a hatfull to be replaced by an active amoeba who likes a good fight..

58 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He looked the most clever in possession of all of our players. He also won balls. Didn't think he was anywhere near the worst player and removing our biggest goalscoring threat right now was a bit daft. Nugent was the one on walkabout with headless chicken Weimann. Just far too many poor quality players against a useless Birmingham side ... 

Chris Martin by far the most clever player in possession today, as he is almost every time he plays for Derby.

Archived