Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Because there's no point in having a player like Hughes when your game plan is basically that the ball isn't allowed to touch the floor outside of either penalty box.

Was too much long ball at times today. 

We gotbetter when Lawrence and Martin came on. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ramma said:

Talks a good game in interviews but been lacking on the pitch so far in the games that mattered. Today was our first real test and well apart at the seams. 

I think the question you meant to ask was, do I really need a tsp of cinnamon to make a decent blancmange?

Just now, rammieib said:

I wasn't at Bolton but have we actually dominated a game (this season or last) and put a team away under his stewardship?

Not that I've seen, but I don't think he wants us to dominate games. We've consistently set up like an away team, even at home against poor opposition - sit deep, keep your shape, hit them on the break.  We aren't going to control games, or even get lots of posession in the opposition half, with Rowett in charge.

6 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

Are you Tim Sherwood in disguise?????

No, but it's irritating that some fans feel if we are under the Cush a bit then we should sack managers. This is due to how modern football is ran by some clubsI guess, Rome wasn't built in one day! 

14 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Too much pressure and expectation at this club for anyone to sort it out.

first game you lose or the team has a bad performance and a thread like this turns up.

need a good dose of realism and a clear out. Do I think he's up to the job? No, but only from the formations tactics and performances that I've seen. Not seen any improvement in the last 15 games. 

Id stop getting all these high name high price high wage players in and get some younger hungrier players. Mel said the objective was to increase the value of the players. Can't see Davies and Hudds increasing in value. We keep being told it's a business yet most businesses buy/make items to sell at a higher price. This needs to be the business model. Bogle, Watkins, Maddison, Irvine were/would be minimal outlay young English talent which with half a dozen goals over a season at a high profile club like ours would increase their value 10 fold.

anyway, I think rowett should get the whole season to see whether he can get these players playing to the level they are capable of as they are all good players. If someone isn't doing what he's asked them to do then drop them as its undermining his authority

Enigma I agree with everything you say except " they are all good players " Sorry that's were most of our troubles are without naming them I'm sure most fans know who they are 

What happens when you go to work and you don't do what your boss asks you to do ?  In most jobs you would be replaced by someone who will , our players just Carry on doing their own thing until the boss gets replaced GW just drop them ands stick the kids in because some of this lot obviously aren't clever enough to follow your instructions or choose not to.

3 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

What happens when you go to work and you don't do what your boss asks you to do ?  In most jobs you would be replaced by someone who will , our players just Carry on doing their own thing until the boss gets replaced GW just drop them ands stick the kids in because some of this lot obviously aren't clever enough to follow your instructions or choose not to.

Works both ways though. If a new boss comes in, and tells all of the workers to do something completely different, that they've never had to do before, and that many of them aren't even physically capable of doing, if performance levels then drop, who's fault is it? 

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

Works both ways though. If a new boss comes in, and tells all of the workers to do something completely different, that they've never had to do before, and that many of them aren't even physically capable of doing, if performance levels then drop, who's fault is it? 

Yes I see what you mean , but its football not nuclear physics.

Hey @ramma got like 7 angry faces for his crap opening post in this topic - but he only has a +1 like count... don't the angry faces count towards our like count? Did facepalms count? I used to get loads of facepalms and I thought they were bumping my totals up!

Is there anything else I need to know?

Just now, Mick Brolly said:

Yes I see what you mean , but its football not nuclear physics.

But no matter how much Rowett wants it, huddlestone and johnson will never be mobile midfielders that press high up the pitch, nugent will never win many long balls, Vydra will never be a creative midfielder, and Russell and Weimann aren't powerful dribbly wingers.  No amount of coaching, passion, desire, managerial instruction etc will change that.

PistoldPete2

Rowett has made a rod for his back by selling Ince and Hughes.

We obviously  havent replaced their creativity... our best hope is that wisdom, davies and hud will improve our ability to defend especially in away games. Well that obviously didnt happen today but its only one game however disappointing. our away record was poor last season too under our four managers.

my main worry is i dont see us replicating last seasons home form without ince or hughes.

Is this tread a joke, it's been 5 games, give him chance, it takes time to gel a team together, our biggest problem since Mel came to the club is we have had far to many managers, we must give Mr Rowett time, I believe he will do a good job at Derby, we must give him time and our Support, and for the record, I believe  in 3 seasons time with Rowett in charge we will be a Premiership club, but it takes a bit of patience and time, look at Mr Cox for  example his first season in the old division 3 we finish 7 th, the season after we get promoted just in 3rd position , then after that we walk the old division 2, and a few seasons later we finish 5th in the old first division, and we had some great players to watch like Shilton, Wright, George Williams, Ted Mcminn, Micklewhite, Saunders and Goddard, it takes time so come on rams fans lets back the manager, he's one of our own after all.

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

Let's not have this discussion now.   The end of the season seems like a more reasonable time.

What, you think it's unreasonable after 9 games last year and 5 this, not to be questioning his capability? Some fans eh.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Are we seriously having this discussion after 5 games......I love the Rams but some Wums are no real surprise ....

F.t.f.y

When he was appointed from memory plenty of people did try to introduce some realism, particularly Burton based fans who had seen what was being served up at the Pirelli during the Rowett era. 

It was at best dour, defensive stuff, with the team set up to scrape a 1-0 and never the sort of exciting, expansive football Derby fans have often enjoyed down the years. And if it ain't working now, if he gets under pressure, then all semblance of style will be out of the window. 

He talks a lovely game though, with his 'looks' and 'listens' and he has certainly sold himself well to the powers that be, down the years, who now include Mel Morris. Let's hope it comes good over time. 

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

What, you think it's unreasonable after 9 games last year and 5 this, not to be questioning his capability? Some fans eh.

Actually, I think questions and doubts are fine at this stage....but not conclusions.  Give the man a chance and see what he can do. I'm not prepared to decide whether Rowett is good enough for Derby or not at this early stage.  Time will tell.  We seem to lurch from from one extreme to the other on this forum based on nothing but the most recent result.

3 minutes ago, hkrammm said:

I thought Mel Morris said the current squad is the strongest DCFC squad during his time here, at the fans forum merely two days ago? 

Or did I hear it wrong? 

No you heard right but surely that is just his opinion?

I read this forum enough to know that our fans think they players are useless, overpaid and put no effort in. That's why I find it so bizarre that the same people think we should be getting promoted.

7 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Actually, I think questions and doubts are fine at this stage....but not conclusions.  Give the man a chance and see what he can do. I'm not prepared to decide whether Rowett is good enough for Derby or not at this early stage.  Time will tell.  We seem to lurch from from one extreme to the other on this forum based on nothing but the most recent result.

Mate I was being ironic. You're absolutely right.

Archived