View from the outside

Derbados

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, rustylee said:

It’s not like we are the only club to have bought any players What about the likes of Middlesbrough And Villa surely they should be disappointed not to get promoted after their financial spend .

Any team coming down has got some clout Wolves have spent big. There are quite a few that have. We all know money doesn't buy success you need the right balance, tactics and work ethics to achieve promotion.  

46 minutes ago, rustylee said:

It’s not like we are the only club to have bought any players What about the likes of Middlesbrough And Villa surely they should be disappointed not to get promoted after their financial spend .

Or forest for that matter. 

the biggest reason for me that Rowett has been successful is that he got rid of our 'best' players i.e. Ince, Hughes, Butterfield and Bryson. Once these four had gone, then the message was clear - if I do not perform then I will be gone. No need to threaten anyone. Gary is in charge, start listening and doing. Mel has kept very quiet, enough said. Serious injuries are all that can stop us now. Only Bristol City have the players to get enough points to make life really difficult for us. A draw against them is ok but with their extra matches it make them have a blip.COYR

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

the biggest reason for me that Rowett has been successful is that he got rid of our 'best' players i.e. Ince, Hughes, Butterfield and Bryson. Once these four had gone, then the message was clear - if I do not perform then I will be gone. No need to threaten anyone. Gary is in charge, start listening and doing. Mel has kept very quiet, enough said. Serious injuries are all that can stop us now. Only Bristol City have the players to get enough points to make life really difficult for us. A draw against them is ok but with their extra matches it make them have a blip.COYR

I can’t agree that Butterfield was a best player standard and I think Bryson only was moved out due to his wages, hughes and Ince wanted premiership and we wanted the money. Yep Rowett wants team players and he looks like he has focused the match day squad players very well - on to the new year we go 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I can’t agree that Butterfield was a best player standard and I think Bryson only was moved out due to his wages, hughes and Ince wanted premiership and we wanted the money. Yep Rowett wants team players and he looks like he has focused the match day squad players very well - on to the new year we go 

'Best' not best, is what I said, Sparkle. I agree with your comments. If you had told me that we were going to be this good after losing those four players for so little outlay, I would have said there was no chance. So glad to be wrong. Winnal's second - one of Derby's all time great long shots? Name two better ones.

8 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I always said the 2014 team was very much a case of players we had fitting a certain system which we fine tuned. I was even more convinced at this when i didnt see Premier league clubs lining up to take them from us.

With our attempts to get promoted ultimately failing for 2 or 3 seasons it was obvious to me that our Strength was also our weakness.

By this I mean our central midfield when you have Hendrick Hughes and Bryson on the books and Chris Martin then that possesion based short passing game was our strong point. We could dominate possesion and territory. But that same midfield was out weak point out of posession as it didnt give the defence much protection, and a well setup team defensively had half the pitch to counter attack us with.

If we were to have a more balanced side, then I think i knew long before Pearson came in, that we would have to change the midfield and the team. Im a bit surprised how quickly Rowett has succeeded with this. But at the same point, because we always had a large squad and we didnt always buy players to suit the system, it meant some players were already in the building, ie Nugent and Vydra.

Just now, Rampage said:

'Best' not best, is what I said, Sparkle. I agree with your comments. If you had told me that we were going to be this good after losing those four players for so little outlay, I would have said there was no chance. So glad to be wrong. Winnal's second - one of Derby's all time great long shots? Name two better ones.

Franny Lee, dean Sturridge?

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Shinner’s against Wednesday in the cup? Virtually all of Rioch’s in 74-75?

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

Shinner’s against Wednesday in the cup? Virtually all of Rioch’s in 74-75?

wasnt Shinners an OG by the goalkeeper?

talking of which, has there been a finer OG by the goalie than Jim leighton pushing Hebbards effort from a tight angle into his own net?

2 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Franny Lee, dean Sturridge?

Excellent posts, jagerbob. I also agree with the two better shots. Nobody on the planet saw Winnall's finish as a possibility when he first received the ball though, he is utterly determined to impress and certainly did so. Great days to be a Ram's fan in a hype/bull products free environment.

11 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

wasnt Shinners an OG by the goalkeeper?

talking of which, has there been a finer OG by the goalie than Jim leighton pushing Hebbards effort from a tight angle into his own net?

Sorry for the ?, but there is no way I am giving that goal of Shinner’s to Chris Woods. Such a fantastic strike and although it wouldn’t have gone in if it hadn’t hit Woods there was absolutely nothing he could do about it because he was still diving when it hit him. A goal that takes a deflection off a defender and sends the keeper the wrong way doesn’t count as an own goal so why should this?

ps just having fun with you :thumbsup:

Archived