Jon Toral - signed for Hull City

Animal is a Ram

26 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Nah not having it. Surely a reunion with Gaz is Toral's preference given the choice.

Not bothered either way to be honest, we have more than enough players.

We have enough. But are they of sufficient quality? 

I still think we should try to offload a few and get one running and one skilful midfield player.

At the moment I would say we could get exposed by a team quick on the counter attack.

Wins against Preston and  Bolton do not make us world beaters. Sheffield will be a tougher test and there are plenty of top teams in this league. 

I'm not saying we're a poor side, far from it, but our midfield is still a bit predictable. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be disappointed to miss out on Toral.

Some players work better under certain managers, which we know Toral did under Rowett. 

I agree that he wouldn't be a star signing that would immediately be granted a guaranteed first team place, but he offers an option in five, perhaps six, different roles in our team. At the very least, he's an excellent option off the bench. 

Isn't he in the last year of his contract? If so (and I am unsure of this), then a loan would be unlikely because he would be able to leave at the end of the season for compensation only.

Rowetts next move will be interesting, he pretty much guaranteed we would be signing at least one more player, assuming both Toral and Gallagher were really targets we have missed out on both on the same day.

Does he have plan C and D up his sleeve, or does he step back and go with what we have got?

Vydra, Russell and Weimann still have it in them to be an attacking force.

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

...assuming both Toral and Gallagher were really targets we have missed out on both on the same day.

Not only missing out on them, but missing out on them due to taking a position backwards to that which makes any sort of sense given their respective situations at their current clubs. On the face of it a bizarre way of trying to doing business which has backfired in double measure.

8 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

To be fair I'd rather have him than both Gallagher and Toral, but I fear it may be more out of hope than expectation. If we have been priced out of a move for Toral I can't imagine Jota would be any cheaper (unless you have heard something!?!)

No, just makes sense to me. If he's still available, then I'd gamble and lose out on players in the hope of getting him.

He's in the last year of his contract, theyre bottom of the league and we look like challenging.

Hopefully a few outs will help the budget to get him.

9 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Not only missing out on them, but missing out on them due to taking a position backwards to that which makes any sort of sense given their respective situations at their current clubs. On the face of it a bizarre way of trying to doing business which has backfired in double measure.

Nah, I'm not having that pal. We'll be doing our best to get in our targets within the prices we think they're worth. 

It seems like every time a player we've been linked with goes elsewhere we want to slate the club for failing to land targets. 

There was a groundswell of opinion two weeks ago that we should abandon Lawrence and bid over the odds for the lad from Preston. That looks a bit silly now having seen Lawrence come in for less than the headline figure and the Preston lad look anonymous last Tuesday.

If Hull come in for Toral panicking because they've lost half a team (notably to us) and flush with parachute money and £12m for Clucas, it's fairly likely they'll outbid us on fee and wages for a player who, while we respect and GR knows and likes, none of us can genuinely pin down where he'd play if we did get him.

We don't really know what deal we've tried to do, or what our cut-off is. I think you can only judge GR on the signings he's got over the line. Pretty steady in  my opinion.

There'll one or two more yet, but hopefully the days of Anya/Butterfield type signings are over.

2 minutes ago, needles said:

Nah, I'm not having that pal. We'll be doing our best to get in our targets within the prices we think they're worth. 

It seems like every time a player we've been linked with goes elsewhere we want to slate the club for failing to land targets. 

There was a groundswell of opinion two weeks ago that we should abandon Lawrence and bid over the odds for the lad from Preston. That looks a bit silly now having seen Lawrence come in for less than the headline figure and the Preston lad look anonymous last Tuesday.

If Hull come in for Toral panicking because they've lost half a team (notably to us) and flush with parachute money and £12m for Clucas, it's fairly likely they'll outbid us on fee and wages for a player who, while we respect and GR knows and likes, none of us can genuinely pin down where he'd play if we did get him.

We don't really know what deal we've tried to do, or what our cut-off is. I think you can only judge GR on the signings he's got over the line. Pretty steady in  my opinion.

There'll one or two more yet, but hopefully the days of Anya/Butterfield type signings are over.

totally agree with that - being more measured in the transfer market this time, paying stupid money and wages is not sustainable and has got us into difficulties. I have no doubt we will land one (buy) and a loan in the next ten days - confidence in the management team and Gaz

Archived