Jon Toral - signed for Hull City

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DazzaRam said:

You look at some of Toral's highlights and at times he looks like hes operating as a central midfield player. Could he perhaps play alongside Huddz or is he totally off the striker sort of player?

I think he has mainly played the number 10 role in a 4231.

You look at some of Toral's highlights and at times he looks like hes operating as a central midfield player. Could he perhaps play alongside Huddz or is he totally off the striker sort of player?

I think the intention is to have him available to either play in a deeper midfield role or as a 10.

He's even played on the wing before, under Gary actually. I doubt he'll be put their often, though.

I doubt it, Huddlestone needs a Johnson-type destroyer to do his running for him, Toral is more of a playmaker I believe.

Johnson would be perfect for our system if his passing was better. I'd like to see us sign some competition for him as neither Butterfield (can't tackle) or Bryson (fading) seem up to it.

7 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I doubt it, Huddlestone needs a Johnson-type destroyer to do his running for him, Toral is more of a playmaker I believe.

Johnson would be perfect for our system if his passing was better. I'd like to see us sign some competition for him as neither Butterfield (can't tackle) or Bryson (fading) seem up to it.

Still carrying an injury...

Again, if anyone can give me any actual proof that Bryson is 'fading' that would be lovely

I feel like it's the same as "Russell is past it" (50% of our assists this season...)

8 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

His performances last season.

Again - We had about 3 players who played well last season

I guess Hughes is past it too? Because he wasn't great last season either... Good job we cashed in now before he became utterly garbage

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Again - We had about 3 players who played well last season

I guess Hughes is past it too? Because he wasn't great last season either... Good job we cashed in now before he became utterly garbage

Bryson hasn't been great for longer than that, actually, he's never hit form since he signed his big contract.

What does Hughes have to do with it? You're really adept at the strawman technique.

Bryso is a good Chammpionship midfielder. I just don't think he suits our 4231 system.

I love the guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a bit part player when fit.

He might want to move on for first team football if we bring Toral in.

The day he leaves will be a sad one - great servant and I would not begrudge him a chance to play first team football.

2 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Bryson hasn't been great for longer than that, actually, he's never hit form since he signed his big contract.

What does Huges have to do with it? You're really adept at the strawman technique.

You said the proof of Bryson fading was his performance last season - Hughes' performance last season wasn't good either

I find it amusing when people (not you) accuse me of being "stuck in 13/14" when I'm actually not - I judge a player on current performance within current parameters - Since those have changed 2/3 times in most seasons recently - And this season we haven't seen Bryson properly because he's been carrying an injury - So therefore can't judge

It's not a straw man argument at all - It's simply pointing out that writing off a single player based on last seasons performances is daft - The last 3 years has been an utterly bizarre time and pretty much every player in the squad has suffered as a result - Judge them on what they do now, not what happened before

Bryson

13-14 16 goals 16 assists

14-15 5 goals 6 assists

15-16 4 goals 1 assist

16-17 3 goals 3 assists

looks like he's fading to me. Like him a lot but he struggled to replicate any sort of form in a 433 which suits him, now if we are to play 4231 I can't see a place for Bryson unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Bryson

14-15 5 goals 6 assists

15-16 4 goals 1 assist

16-17 3 goals 3 assists

looks like he's fading to me. Like him a lot but he struggled to replicate any sort of form in a 433 which suits him, now if we are to play 4231 I can't see a place for Bryson unfortunately.

It's hard to say from the stats. He was injured a fair bit during some of that time and I'm pretty sure in the 13/14 season he got 12 of his 16 goals before the new year which would suggest he had a Nick Blackman style one off purple patch.

23 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Bryson

14-15 5 goals 6 assists

15-16 4 goals 1 assist

16-17 3 goals 3 assists

Those stats mean nothing without context, such as the position he plays and how many appearances and starts he made.

I don't think he's as good as the 16 goal season suggests, nor as ineffective as the 4 goal 1 assist season suggests. The truth, I feel, is somewhere in between.

The way we played and the condition Bryson was in for the entirety of the 13/14 season cooked the perfect environment for him to thrive. We were set up to have players get close to and run beyond Martin, and a 26 year old Bryson was always going to grab goals and assists in a side like that.

Think he'd struggle to match that at 30 should we choose to play that way again, but I don't think it's as easy as writing him off based solely on the goals he's scored since that season.

I've said since his first season here that your team never plays well because of Bryson, but when your team is playing well, you definitely want him in the side. Doesn't ever drag the team down, far from it, but not the sort of player to drag up those around him. He has the capacity to look pretty average when player with poor or out -of-form players but who knows, maybe players like Lawrence, Toral and the returning Martin can bring the best out of him again.

1 hour ago, DazzaRam said:

You look at some of Toral's highlights and at times he looks like hes operating as a central midfield player. Could he perhaps play alongside Huddz...?

Although some people here on the Forum are openly denying such a possibility, I am seeing him as a direct partner for Tom Huddlestone in 4-2-3-1 system and eventually he could also play next to Huddlestone and someone else in 4-3-3 midfield system. Accidentally, he's also left footed, just like Will Huges.

Here are a few comments for his deep-lying role while playing for Rangers.

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/755-match-preview-rangers-vs-motherwell-april-s-full-day

Toral was excellent in his defensive midfield role against Hamilton so it looks pretty tough for Andy Halliday to get back into the team unless it is in a more advanced role.

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/753-transitions-transitions-transitions

The difference on Saturday was the double-pivot; both Toral and Holt took up sitting positions to guard the back-four and support the rampaging Full-backs, and both were effective in their roles.

On Saturday we saw Toral -- who had an impressive game all-round, distributing the ball with crisp accuracy -- deliver some delightful in-swingers...

9996inciu3502613.jpg

240117-1.png

11 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

Although some people here on the Forum are openly denying such a possibility, I am seeing him as a direct partner for Tom Huddlestone in 4-2-3-1 system and eventually he could also play next to Huddlestone and someone else in 4-3-3 midfield system. Accidentally, he's also left footed, just like Will Huges.

Here are a few comments for his deep-lying role while playing for Rangers.

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/755-match-preview-rangers-vs-motherwell-april-s-full-day

Toral was excellent in his defensive midfield role against Hamilton so it looks pretty tough for Andy Halliday to get back into the team unless it is in a more advanced role.

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/753-transitions-transitions-transitions

The difference on Saturday was the double-pivot; both Toral and Holt took up sitting positions to guard the back-four and support the rampaging Full-backs, and both were effective in their roles.

On Saturday we saw Toral -- who had an impressive game all-round, distributing the ball with crisp accuracy -- deliver some delightful in-swingers...

9996inciu3502613.jpg

240117-1.png

And yet he was widely panned whilst at Rangers, so maybe played out of position (and had a rogue good game in the one you're quoting)?

The Rangers supporting side of my family couldn't stand him and wanted shot of him pretty quick when he was playing up there. But I think that might be down to Warburton's poor utilisation of the player, rather than down to Toral.

The fact that someone like Toral, an attacking player who thrives as a 10, can summise such glowing reviews as the one @lioncoeur shared when playing in an unfamiliar role, suggests that Toral is an all around talented footballer.

Would love to have him here, if the deal's right. 

Archived