The Nick Blackman support thread

Sexydadbod

It's fair to say that his Derby career so far hasn't gone to plan but why do so many Derby fans appear to be completely writing the guy off, can someone tell me why? I find it quite baffling. He's hardly had a chance and has been incredibly unlucky with injuries and with the constant changes with the managers. He should get a chance now on the right-hand side now that Ince has gone and I hope he grabs it with both hands.

I remember when we played Hartlepool away in the fa cup, him and Razza tore it up and I was excited before Clement was sacked a few weeks later.

The people who keep calling him s**t and useless, tell me which players haven't been s**t and inconsistent in recent years? For me, only Keogh, Carson, Martin and Ince have been the only consistent players but people seem to be holding this only against Blackman. 

I've been watching a few of the training videos and Blackman looks very sharp. It's no surprise that the likes of Harry Redknapp, Clement, Pearson, Powell and now Rowett have said that Blackman has a lot of potential but the expert Derby fans keep calling him rubbish. It seems that many have forgotten that he was arguably the most improved and inform player(along with Weimann) going into last season's first game against Brighton. I hope that he proves a lot of people wrong this season.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Blackman is a very good player. I believe the same about multiple in our squad, however I've never been over the top in my criticism of Blackman, I hope he comes good. I just personally wouldn't regret selling him and finding someone else to fit us. That being said, if he stays I'll support him. I'd very much like to be proved wrong on it.

Playing wide right for Reading he looked really dangerous cutting in onto his left foot, with ince playing there plus inuuries he hasnt had much of a chsnce to impress. I noticed in the training video put on the website today that he was wide right.

I think given a consistent run he can prove a lot of people wrong and be a decent threat for us.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't think Blackman is a very good player. I believe the same about multiple in our squad, however I've never been over the top in my criticism of Blackman, I hope he comes good. I just personally wouldn't regret selling him and finding someone else to fit us. That being said, if he stays I'll support him. I'd very much like to be proved wrong on it.

Just out of interest why do you think Blackman doesn't fit us?

Honestly, I'd love to see him kick on. Heck I'd love to see him give us all the middle finger and go and score a good dozen or two goals this year. 

That's all there is to it really. If he scores then great, if not hey ho. Not my cash just go with the flow.

Blackman still hasn't had a run in a Derby side playing decent stuff. I'm not saying he deserves one but the truth is that quite a lot of good players would struggle to make an impact with the offerings Blackman has received. 

Thought he was a bizarre signing at the time. He had a little purple patch and Clement thought "he can do that here" like it just transfers over.

There's other players still at the club who have played in a good side and have added nothing to it. You don't notice when they are or aren't there. And these players get off lightly either because they played well back in 1984 or because the team's performance hid them.

With Blackman he's played badly in a poor team and obviously gets targeted as a major contributor. Really he's just been equal to the s**t around him.

I would rather have Blackman than Olsson. Olsson doesn't get as much stick but he's had a run of games in a good Derby and a bad Derby. In my opinion he's a weak link and contributes the bare minimum at best. Poor in the air, poor distances (that allows crosses in all the time), stops the ball dead and kills our play... what he does well is the odd good burst forward. I think Blackman could manage that with the same game time. 

Haven't been that impressed when he has had the ball at his feet, one on one, which tends to be my first measure ..but as others have said there are some sound reasons. Multiple managers, Bad time in the team's form cycle, wrong position, new team mates, system didn't suit. He hasn't had an easy ride. 

As far as I Am concerned as soon as he puts on the shirt and steps out then he is a Ram and has my full support. 

Strange situation is Blackman's. It all could of gone so differently, he could have had his purple patch if form at Reading came to us then carried that form on and we wouldn't even be having this conversation now. Obviously he didn't for one reason or another. Now I don't think Blackman's an awful footballer but if he's up to the standard we want to be at is yet to be seen. I certainly wouldn't be kicking him out of the door and making a huge loss but he may get his chance this season and you just never know. 

Archived