Forum Issues

Day
Message added by Day,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Since this site moved over to Cloud I'm struggling most of the time for the site to load, It comes up timed out error code 522

Thanks

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Same here. Leave it for a few minutes and it connects OK.

12 minutes ago, mozza said:

That's at least 3 of us then..

Nah, apparently it’s us.

It is an issue, I believe the domain hasn't fully settled in pointing to this server.

I have no problem at home on Virgin Media Wi-Fi, also out on 4G with O2, out tonight on 5G and I couldn't get on at all.

Emails to myself are also proving to be flakey.

It can take up to 24 hours to fully settle so we'll see where we're at tomorrow before I call out the nerds.

I'm currently only able to get on by using a public free VPN based in the US

I get the CloudFlare errors from all of these access methods

1) my home PC using VirginMedia fibre broadband (wired and wifi and on all browsers)
2) my work phone on Vodafone 4g
3) my personal phone on EE 4g
4) my work PC using the work VPN

Things I have tried that make no difference to 1-4 above
Cleared browser cache and cookies
c:\ ipconfig /dnsflush

So a resounding success (if the whole server move was a ruse to get me to post less) 😐

Well that wasn’t ideal this morning was it?

Woke up to the same error as you all, the entire provider network went down including their own site so I was unable to even contact them through a support ticket.

Went back to sleep because why not and appears to be up and running again.

As for the Cloudflare issues, again we used to use Cloudflare, not anymore, so if you are seeing an error pop up with that, I can only suggest clearing your cache.

Some internet service providers also cache their data much longer than others, hence why it can take up to 24 hours.

I am powerless with that as with most server issues now as it’s completely managed by the provider. I will keep pestering them to sort their thing out though and can only apologise.

40 minutes ago, David said:

Well that wasn’t ideal this morning was it?

Woke up to the same error as you all, the entire provider network went down including their own site so I was unable to even contact them through a support ticket.

Went back to sleep because why not and appears to be up and running again.

As for the Cloudflare issues, again we used to use Cloudflare, not anymore so if you are seeing an error pop up with that, I can only suggest clearing your cache.

Some internet service providers also cache their data much longer than others, hence why it can take up to 24 hours.

I am powerless with that as with most server issues now as it’s completely managed by the provider. I will keep pestering them to sort their thing out though and can only apologise.

It must be the ISP cache, as clearing my local cache makes no odds ,and it works when i connect via this Dutch VPN - so i know it's caching "good" pages locally right now as I type this

I guess we wait for the world to catch up. In the meantime I'll busy myself elsewhere

image.png.0ef3ef8b4763c5c806a374a2c33ba273.png

4 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It must be the ISP cache, as clearing my local cache makes no odds ,and it works when i connect via this Dutch VPN - so i know it's caching "good" pages locally right now as I type this

I guess we wait for the world to catch up. In the meantime I'll busy myself elsewhere

image.png.0ef3ef8b4763c5c806a374a2c33ba273.png

Sorry about that.

Using a Windows device, try this, but turn your VPN off first.

Click the Start button. ... 

Click All Programs > Accessories.

Select Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns.

Press Enter.

You should see a message confirming that the DNS Resolver Cache was successfully flushed.

Not an issue with the forum (No more than anyone else, of course!) but this is currently on topic...

Info:  I was already subscribing monthly, to a greater value than the two new options now being offered...

1.  Click on @David's subscription link, for ad-free viewing.  Done.  (Already ad-free... not that the ads were a massive problem anyway.  Hardly DET levels!).  👍

2.  Go to Paypal, with the intention of reducing my existing pre-authorised monthly payment, to level things up as before.  Not an option to alter the value, so I took the option to deactivate.

3.  Stay on Paypal, and look to set up a nice new shiny pre-authorised monthly payment, for half the value of the one I've just cancelled.  Turns out, you can't do that yourself.  According to my extensive (6 minute) research, It has to come in the form of a payment demand/request from the merchant.  Nor is there an option to re-activate previous subscriptions).

4.  Feelings of guilt now kick in, as I've got rid of ads, and gained a big show-offy forum legend badge, but am now set up to pay 50% of the subscriptions I was paying before I interfered! 🙄

Anyone got any ideas?

Despite David's previous protestations, I'm more than happy to subscribe the same (total monthly) value as before this ad-free option came in.
Would clicking on the subscribe button again work, does anyone know?  Would that result in two lots of separate subscriptions?  (Which would be my intended aim).
Would that go through, or just confuse the Paypal bods? 
Maybe leave it a fortnight, then try it, so it spreads the cost/Forum cashflow?

🤷‍♂️