Forum Issues

Day
Message added by Day,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

3 hours ago, David said:

As I say, the developers brought out a new achievement based system which is meant to replace it, but I’m not a huge fan at all so haven’t activated it as yet. 

They pulled the code to show the count under your profile pic, it’s not there for me to simply turn on or off. 

Why? Not a question I can answer, that’s for the software developers

Might you ask the software developers for their reasoning?

I don't mind having whatever my post count is, displayed.

But, I am not sure that I like the idea of a "reputation score", let alone an "achievement score".

I'm glad that you have not activated the "achievement score" because, quite frankly, my reaction might be to say FO, to the idea of visiting a forum to be told that I have a low "achievement score"! Having a low "reputation score" is not e most enjoyable piece of news either!

If I have a low "reputation score" then maybe I won't bother contributing to the forum any more. (Fair enough - that may be a blessing for forum members, and a good side to the Achievement scores!)

But, these scores don't sound particularly encouraging. Maybe some members are driven to engage with the forum by these scores. But maybe some find them a bit rude!

35 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Please can I have a reminder ...

... which website (s) can I upload a photo to ... in order to insert a photo into a post on the forum?

You can upload photos directly to the forum, just press Add Files below the text box.

13 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I tried ... Postimage.cc but, when I paste the various links ... Into the insert "other media" box, it just goes red.

So I'm not doing it correctly, methinks.

If it's an image from your phone, just click on "add files" and upload it directly onto here. If it's a large file  - over 3.42MB you might have to resize it first.

If you want to post images from another site you can post a link to them using the hyperlink button next to "gif".

Some sites embed directly e.g. tweets, Facebook, just by copying and pasting into the editor panel. Just give them a few seconds to embed.

Sorry, David answered much more simply!

Edited by angieram
Add a bit

15 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Might you ask the software developers for their reasoning?

I don't mind having whatever my post count is, displayed.

But, I am not sure that I like the idea of a "reputation score", let alone an "achievement score".

I'm glad that you have not activated the "achievement score" because, quite frankly, my reaction might be to say FO, to the idea of visiting a forum to be told that I have a low "achievement score"! Having a low "reputation score" is not e most enjoyable piece of news either!

If I have a low "reputation score" then maybe I won't bother contributing to the forum any more. (Fair enough - that may be a blessing for forum members, and a good side to the Achievement scores!)

But, these scores don't sound particularly encouraging. Maybe some members are driven to engage with the forum by these scores. But maybe some find them a bit rude!

Reputation score is what it was before they removed from under your profile picture.

Some communities would have reactions which could reduce your reputation, even into a minus score but we never went down that route.

The developers have been asked, several times, I was reading a topic the other week which was requesting the return and completely ignored.

Achievements is their new baby, they also have badges but they appear all over your profile picture and in the default state, nobody would know what they were even for. Posted a bunch of pics below.

They work a bit like the reputation score but I could set the rules to be something like make a post, get a like, once you hit say 50, you get an achievement. 

I just find it all a bit pointless. You can still view yours and others reputation score by hovering over the username if you’re on desktop, or on mobile you would need to open up the profile of the user you’re looking at.

96C83B61-53F6-4EA3-B364-07414E86CF1F.jpeg

38B0DCDC-7CF7-47C8-B294-67C36C24EC01.png

C6718FDE-948C-4DD4-82BB-8BD647C0A30E.png

07A234AC-D247-4E2D-BE90-8532287CBC33.png

1 minute ago, David said:

Achievements is their new baby, they also have badges but they appear all over your profile picture and in the default state, nobody would know what they were even for. Posted a bunch of pics below.

They work a bit like the reputation score but I could set the rules to be something like make a post, get a like, once you hit say 50, you get an achievement. 

I just find it all a bit pointless. You can still view yours and others reputation score by hovering over the username if you’re on desktop, or on mobile you would need to open up the profile of the user you’re looking at.

oooh if only you could sow them on your scouts uniform... ?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

oooh if only you could sow them on your scouts uniform... ?

That’s actually pretty much what they are. I may look at them in time, customise them with ex players or something, but even that I can see complaints of I don’t want Wanchope on my profile picture.

Just now, David said:

That’s actually pretty much what they are. I may look at them in time, customise them with ex players or something, but even that I can see complaints of I don’t want Wanchope on my profile picture.

I'm too old to get all this reputation/badge stuff. I can understand seeing whether a person posting is a newbie to the forum or what. But the rest of it...figure it out from what they say. It's not like you're asking them to invest your pension. ? Carry on doing a good job mate.

17 minutes ago, David said:

You can upload photos directly to the forum, just press Add Files below the text box.

I did that! In the olden days I think that I had to upload it elsewhere and get a link. Perhaps if the file size was too big?

12 minutes ago, David said:

Reputation score is what it was before they removed from under your profile picture.

Some communities would have reactions which could reduce your reputation, even into a minus score but we never went down that route.

The developers have been asked, several times, I was reading a topic the other week which was requesting the return and completely ignored.

Thanks for sharing these!

So glad that you decided not to implement them!

31 minutes ago, David said:

Same. The reputation system is slightly flawed anyway as it wasn’t introduced until later on in the forum life. 

I don’t see it giving any user extra credibility as many reaction likes could be for number of reasons

Like people dropping ? when they disagree with the post.