Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

I'm sure that a Coventry fan stated when we signed him that he'll delight and infuriate in equal measures.

On his day, he's great and is a formidable right back for the Championship.  When he's not on song, he can be very poor.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CC is an excellent player, but he's also the sort that needs some inspiration from a manager (to be the finished article). So It's a bit worrying that a) Rowett doesn't see the talent or feel he can develop and inspire it more and b) our three best technical players will all be sold this window. It's a sure guarantee that Will will do well in the premier league, that the odds are also stacked massively in Inces favour with the backing of David Wagner, and that Christie will light up the right side of the park with serious marauding wherever he goes in this division. 

27 minutes ago, Ninos said:

CC is an excellent player, but he's also the sort that needs some inspiration from a manager (to be the finished article). So It's a bit worrying that a) Rowett doesn't see the talent or feel he can develop and inspire it more and b) our three best technical players will all be sold this window. It's a sure guarantee that Will will do well in the premier league, that the odds are also stacked massively in Inces favour with the backing of David Wagner, and that Christie will light up the right side of the park with serious marauding wherever he goes in this division. 

our THREE best technical players? Is that Hughes, Ince and Christie? Christie is very poor technically and is purely an athlete, stay off the crack pipe!

29 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You didn't just call CC a technical player did you? He's anything but. I'm glad we have a manager that sees him as a poor player - and has duly signed a replacement.

Pity that same manager has also sold out best two players.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You didn't just call CC a technical player did you? He's anything but. I'm glad we have a manager that sees him as a poor player - and has duly signed a replacement.

Pity that same manager has also sold out best two players.

you know who's a pretty good technical player? capable of close control, accurate passing, and shooting with both feet? That Chris Martin fella.

Oh, and that Jacob Butterfield fella.

Not sure Ninos understands what technical/technique is?

38 minutes ago, Ninos said:

In Cyrus' own words, it doesn't look like he wants to learn under Rowett.

“It has been a tough season. The manager knows what I’m capable of but when a new manager comes in, you don’t fit into their style sometimes and that’s been the case.

“He’s completely different to a lot of managers I’ve had.

“I’m quite an attack-based full-back and he prefers the more defensive. That’s just the way it is.

“He has to pick a team and I’m old enough and mature enough to deal with that.

“I’ll go in and adapt my game but I’m not going to change it too much because this is what I’ve made my career on.

The highlighted part the most important.

Christie can be good, even very good at times but has no footballing brain. I always feel Keogh doesn't trust him and ruins his own game by worrying about and covering for Christie. I will never forget the Brum game a couple of years back when 2-0 up in injury time he ran past Ince on a forward run and we finally drew 2-2. Even if the ref did play 37 mins more extra time than was indicated. I think the sale of Hughes won't hurt us, nor Christie but Ince certainly will 

He's not being let go because he's lacking technical ability, pace or potential as he has those in abundance, he's being shifted because Rowett is building the wall of China back there, and he's not as good defensively as Wisdom, but at right back, who is? 

Our defence mind you hasn't exactly been the problem this season has it? Davies and Wisdom seem excellent acquisitions for sure but we have still yet to make any player improvements in our attacking third. We have removed our top playmaker, top winger, and now, our most creative attacking full back.  We'd better hope this fitness thing and tactics agenda does the trick to get the returning players performing to the levels they're capable of.

Wish someone would just buy the man.

He's no Cafu, but still at a decent age, a international and with the right coaching, with the right players and a minor miracle in a footballing brain developing , he'd be alright.

He's no worst than most right backs at this level IMO. 

Christie would have been first on my list to get gone this summer. 

Not because he's our worst player, but because he's had a decent run for Ireland and his stock is as high as it's ever likely to be at this level - a bit like Hendrick. 

I don't watch a lot of football anymore, so I can't proclaim to know where the line in the sand is when it comes to quality full backs. I just don't believe he's up there. I think it helps us more if we can get a Championship side (I won't say promotion rival at this stage) to pay us money to sign him, because we know full well that there is better out there. 

Anything over £1.5m and we're laughing. 

If Christie was that good we wouldn't be letting him go.whether he's defence or attack minded . I think it's easy to look good in a collection of your best bits because that's just what they are ...your best bits! (Even Albentosa looked good in his montage,,, )  but let's see a collection of clips where he's totally caught out of position and the endless times he seems to get the ball caught in between his legs when he's running or when he's making incorrect decisions when he's got the ball ....and when he hasn't.

i genuinely feel it's a shame to lose CC because it feels like he's one of ours because he came here relatively young and I thought he,d grow into a v good player and  did initially think it was a shrewd signing... but the truth is he hasn't progressed enough  and I trusted Baird more than I did Cyrus last season at RB.

Its a shame but surely best for both parties...good luck to him ?? 

On his day the best right back in the league.....

I actually think on his day he's one of the best in the league, the issue is he doesn't perform at that level consistently. He's far better than a lot of people make out though and I would be disappointed if we sold him as think there is more to come.

He needs first team football and if Rowett wants more defensive qualities in his full back then it makes sense to sell him. Fact Boro and Reading (two rivals!) have shown interest means he can't be that bad. Boro seems his main chance of a move now Gunter is staying at Reading.

I happen to think that "on his day", he's an exciting footballer, but he will never be the best right back, he's not consistently competent and composed in defence, he often gets tied in knots and trips over his own feet. He's one of the best we have had though, when considering the likes of Paul Connolly

I really like Christie. He's contributed towards some important goals for us. But it's clear to me Rowett prefers full backs who can first and foremost defend, hence why we'll be left with Wisdom and Baird. If that's the case then Christie should go, no matter how good he is as an all-round player.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I happen to think that "on his day", he's an exciting footballer, but he will never be the best right back, he's not consistently competent and composed in defence, he often gets tied in knots and trips over his own feet. He's one of the best we have had though, when considering the likes of Paul Connolly

Very well put, in terms of end product all round the pitch I think Brayford has been the best in recent times

Seeing rumours of £2/2.5m floating around, roughly about the same that we paid upfront for Wisdom I think?, looking at it that way we're getting a cracking deal! Though I still rate Christie, still a young international with plenty to come - don't want him to leave but I have trust in Rowett and if he isn't in his plans then best to sell at a good price now rather than leaving on a free when his contract is out. 

Archived