Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

On his day the best right back in the league.....

I actually think on his day he's one of the best in the league, the issue is he doesn't perform at that level consistently. He's far better than a lot of people make out though and I would be disappointed if we sold him as think there is more to come.

He needs first team football and if Rowett wants more defensive qualities in his full back then it makes sense to sell him. Fact Boro and Reading (two rivals!) have shown interest means he can't be that bad. Boro seems his main chance of a move now Gunter is staying at Reading.

If we're basing the quality of our players on whether clubs such as Boro and Reading are interested then things are a lot worse than I thought.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

you know who's a pretty good technical player? capable of close control, accurate passing, and shooting with both feet? That Chris Martin fella.

Oh, and that Jacob Butterfield fella.

Not sure Ninos understands what technical/technique is?

I Would describe Butters as our most technical player left on the squad - sadly that technical ability often means one touch too many coupled with a sideways/backwards pass. If he could use his skill set 20 yards up the pitch he could be a good player.

If we mainly play 4-2-3-1 which I suspect - I don't see where Butters or Bryson play though.

22 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I Would describe Butters as our most technical player left on the squad - sadly that technical ability often means one touch too many coupled with a sideways/backwards pass. If he could use his skill set 20 yards up the pitch he could be a good player.

If we mainly play 4-2-3-1 which I suspect - I don't see where Butters or Bryson play though.

Me neither

Funny 'cos I see Butters as one of our more adaptable midfielders, in a 4-2-3-1 he could comfortably play alongside Thorne in the 2 or even central of the 3 behind Nugent if we're playing a more defensive counter attacking system.

3 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Funny 'cos I see Butters as one of our more adaptable midfielders, in a 4-2-3-1 he could comfortably play alongside Thorne in the 2 or even central of the 3 behind Nugent if we're playing a more defensive counter attacking system.

I think he is best used further forward as he isn't scared of taking a shot and can pick a pass. I agree though, paired up with the right player (Thorne) he could work well sat a bit deeper in a two.

In his first season Butters scored more goals and last season he was quite negative, if he were to get back to being more of a threat going forward i still think he could do well for us, i remember him scoring a few crackers for Huddersfield

14 hours ago, Ninos said:

Watch the first 10 seconds alone and tell me he's not technically superior. You need to pay attention. And that's done AT SPEED. 

2  crosses out of how many in the clip actually found a player? It showed more of his faults if anything, not passing/crossing when he should and a few tit bits of him dribbling against Gibraltar and Rotherham then some wingers doesn't show that he is technically very good.

You only need to watch the first 10 seconds of this to see his lack of ability, both in attacking and defending.

22 minutes ago, rynny said:

2  crosses out of how many in the clip actually found a player? It showed more of his faults if anything, not passing/crossing when he should and a few tit bits of him dribbling against Gibraltar and Rotherham then some wingers doesn't show that he is technically very good.

You only need to watch the first 10 seconds of this to see his lack of ability, both in attacking and defending.

Agree...also showed how poor Shotton was....  so going to miss Ince though :(

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I always say it, butters further forward could be our Wes Hoolahan.

He can certainly pass a ball and knows where the net is.

We just need a manager competent enough to spot his talents and utilise them.

Yes he can pass a ball 5 yards sideways I will give you that.

As to knowing where the net is and finding it are two different things. Didn't he only actually find the net once last season?

30 minutes ago, rynny said:

Oh the irony of that last clip, all comes from Vydra, closing down, breaking up the play, passing it and then getting in the right area and scoring. It's almost as if there's a decent player in there somewhere :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Yes he can pass a ball 5 yards sideways I will give you that.

As to knowing where the net is and finding it are two different things. Didn't he only actually find the net once last season?

Please see my final point.

With a competent manager able to spot and utilise his talents he would score more.

This is evidenced when he played against Hull, he player further forward and scored two excellent goals.

Im not sure if you have heard or read the interviews with Rowett when he said that Butters under previous managers had to adapt his game and was asked to pick the ball up and just pass it to start up attacks.

If that is what he was asked to do he flipping did it well.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Please see my final point.

With a competent manager able to spot and utilise his talents he would score more.

This is evidenced when he played against Hull, he player further forward and scored two excellent goals.

Im not sure if you have heard or read the interviews with Rowett when he said that Butters under previous managers had to adapt his game and was asked to pick the ball up and just pass it to start up attacks.

If that is what he was asked to do he flipping did it well.

Yeah fair enough. But I do recall rowett saying butters could adapt to playing well in a more DM role in the 2 so not sure he would even get a chance further up.

9 minutes ago, Terry Hennessey said:

The talk over lunch at Igors was that he's having a medical now (Middlesborough)....

Lol. 

40 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

"Now, another as yet unnamed club is believed to have asked about the 24-year-old right back." - http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/what-we-know-about-the-interest-in-derby-county-defender-cyrus-christie/story-30427234-detail/story.html

Just had a message from my mate who's a Boro fan about whether he's any good - So assume the Boro rumours are getting stronger at their end...

Archived