Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

I know that it looks like Christie will be moving on but you do tend to wonder if he could make it as a wide midfielder due to his power and pace and even though his delivery can be woeful at times he was our second highest assist maker so not as bad as we make out, sheff Wednesday sold Antonio for £1.5 million with similar attributes now Christie may not end up at his level but there are similarities in my mind. 

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I know that it looks like Christie will be moving on but you do tend to wonder if he could make it as a wide midfielder due to his power and pace and even though his delivery can be woeful at times he was our second highest assist maker so not as bad as we make out, sheff Wednesday sold Antonio for £1.5 million with similar attributes now Christie may not end up at his level but there are similarities in my mind. 

It's his decision making which lets him down.

He's a great athlete but it's no good running beautifully with the ball unless you know what you're going to do next.

I wish the lad well but he is one of those who comes under the category 'mentally weak'. 

We want defenders who snuff out danger and offensive players who run, pass and shoot instinctively.

Better to be quick of mind than fleet of foot (unless you're being chased by a rhino).

55 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Where did you see that? Last season he had 0 assists in the league.

32 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I may well be wrong then but that is what I have read elsewhere- maybe somebody out there could list it 

Last season league games only:

Tom Ince - 6

Johnny Russell - 4

Chris Baird - 3

Ikechi Anya - 3

Will Hughes - 3

Bradley Johnson - 2

Craig Bryson - 2

Jacob Butterfield - 2

Markus Olsson - 2

Camara, Pearce, Nugent, Vydra, Keogh and Carson all got 1 each.

From https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/20/Show/England-Derby

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He's never a Championship winger. He's pacey and can beat a player, but so can wingers in the fifth tier. Nothing special about that whatsoever.

You could put a case forward that he'd make a decent winger if he had better decision making and could cross more consistently. There's a reason why he plays in that position, and although you get some wingers who convert to full backs, it's very rare to see it go the other way round.

Every now and again, the bloke has the world at his feet and it seems like he can do no wrong, but 90% of the time, he's doing bizarre things on the ball, passing to wingers under pressure and spending most of the game marking the linesman.

Think he suits international football well and that's why he plays for Ireland, but he's never a Premier League player in my eyes. Too much carnage around the corner whenever he's playing.

He's a decent championship player, but appears he makes the same mistakes over and over. His positional sense from a defensive point of view is non existent and often gets caught out, which in turn drags keogh out of position and hence contributes to keogh looking like he makes more mistakes. 

If we are looking at progressing we need an improvement which we have got with wisdom. 

Wish chrisitie all the best if he moves but another that may feel it's time to move on 

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I believe the quote was chancemaker not assist. Assist only counts when goal is scored 

I think you are correct, just checked and it is key passes per game. Which is where he passes to someone who then has a shot, which could mean a cross that is too high but the striker gets a slight touch goal wards, which makes it a good indicator but not a conclusive one. He completed 41 key passes last season, only Ince (70) and Hughes (43) had more for us last season.

Shows how bad our shooting was last season, Ince registered an assist every 12ish key passes, Hughes 14ish, Butterfield 18, Russell 9, Johnson 12.5.

Back to Christie, do you think it says something about the quality of the opportunities that he set up that out of the 41 shots we did not score once?

This negativity of a large proportion of the squad is getting rather tedious, I'm surprised the players don't flick v signs at us instead of applauding at full time.

Constructive criticism is fairer towards Christie rather than say Keogh but considering how much we paid for him and how much he could potentially fetch I would say we've done rather well out of him.

13 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

This negativity of a large proportion of the squad is getting rather tedious, I'm surprised the players don't flick v signs at us instead of applauding at full time.

Constructive criticism is fairer towards Christie rather than say Keogh but considering how much we paid for him and how much he could potentially fetch I would say we've done rather well out of him.

This is why I really don't rate our fans, cynical and high and mighty. The moaners and booing ***** in the ground really put me off sometimes.

54 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Every now and again, the bloke has the world at his feet and it seems like he can do no wrong, but 90% of the time, he's doing bizarre things on the ball, passing to wingers under pressure and spending most of the game marking the linesman

I stand by Christie and think he is better than most give him credit for. Some of this perceived poor play, is partly due to the balance of the team and I've said it before - the poor positional play of Ince (he cannot play with a marauding right back), and the management focus with each manager having a different view of tactics  and team set up. Throw a severe injury on top and  you get what you see today.

I'm on the west side near the technical area and he was always being told by certain managers to be in positions @Duracellalluded to. It's an example of why GR is having to pull apart the team as there was never any consistent focus for the players.

Archived