Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

Day

15 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If you play a back 4 you can only play 2 centre backs.

Assuming the manager isn't stupid and signs more than two centre backs, not all of them can play.

Assuming also a manager goes with the philosophy that he won't change a winning side, Hanley may just have been unlucky due to the two centre backs being undroppable.

Rafa Benetiz seemed happy enough to sign him last year for a promotion push.

We signed Abdoul Camara for a promotion push 

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We should walk away if they are sticking to £5.5 million. I think £4 million is steep to be honest and I would rather see us move on if they want anything more.

Hanley would be a great signing, didn't realise he was still so young. Similar to Vydra in that he's a forgotten top Championship player who's been doing it at this level for years but is still young.

More mobile than Pearce and at 6'3 he sort of reminds me of a young Jason Shackell, so will hopefully suit Keogh down to the ground. I just hope he's a quicker passer than Pearce and Shackell, just enough so that our tempo doesn't fall down a flight of stairs whenever he gets the ball.

39 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Assuming the manager isn't stupid and signs more than two centre backs, not all of them can play.

Assuming also a manager goes with the philosophy that he won't change a winning side, Hanley may just have been unlucky due to the two centre backs being undroppable.

Newcastle won 2 championship games that Hanley started last season - for each of the following games he was dropped.

36 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Centre back pairings are often more important than the individual players.

Hanley got off to a poor start at Newcastle and got dropped. Then surprise, surprise, multi million pound Newcastle go on a run of victories. He would have found it very difficult to get back in.

I would imagine Shackell will go and possibly Christie too. If we could get two CDs Pearce would probably go.

So I could see Hanley coming here.

Those hoping for Dutch style building from the back may be sorely disappointed

If people think £4m is too steep for Hanley then there is no point in looking anywhere else but League one for players. As the transfer market sits at the moment, You won't get any top 2 championship quality player for less than £4m. The market has inflated and now players transfer fees are showing it. 

So if you think £4m is too steep for Hanley then I hope you're excited about the signing of Nathan Pond from Fleetwood town :whistle:

38 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

If people think £4m is too steep for Hanley then there is no point in looking anywhere else but League one for players. As the transfer market sits at the moment, You won't get any top 2 championship quality player for less than £4m. The market has inflated and now players transfer fees are showing it. 

So if you think £4m is too steep for Hanley then I hope you're excited about the signing of Nathan Pond from Fleetwood town :whistle:

Spot on. Reality of the market, for the quality we want. 

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

I hear what you say but we have two very good central defenders in Keogh and shackell so not a massive rush to spend our money that we may or may not have

Blackburn fans rated him very highly. Always difficult when a player moves to a club and doesn't play. Their fans opinion won't be as rounded.

Think of how some of our fans would speak about Blackman, camara and others.

2 hours ago, Ram79 said:

I expect we'll do a deal for around 5 million you always go in low to begin with. He looks a decent player . 

If our budget is going to be much more restricted than it's been in recent seasons and given the likely difficulty in off-loading high earners and those unlikely to be in Rowetts' plans, to spend anything near to £5m on a central defender appears to be foolhardy. 

I've not been impressed when he has played against us. He lacks pace and passing ability. He is strong but so is Pearce.

Was hoping for a quicker LCB so we can play a higher line. However i am sure GR has seen him play more times than me. 

23 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Makes sense we're in for Hanley if Shackell is on his way. Need a left footed CB to replace him so Hanley fits the bill.

Except he's right footed.

he always looked a bit dumpy to me. No too fussed. Wouldn't pay over £3m. There must be better options.

Archived