Signed: Andre Wisdom 4 year deal

Nuwtfly

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing I remember about Wisdom was that he was a very solid defender, with excellent pace and strength . Very rarely beaten. Perfect for the Championship. A bit of an unsung hero that season. You just had confidence that people wouldn't get past him. Just what you want from a defender. 

I would always prefer our full backs to be better at stopping crosses than making them. And at defending rather than attacking. 

If we could 'swap' Christie for Wisdom at a nett zero cost I would be more than happy.

As long as we did a proper due diligence on him. Why has he had so few games at what were, at the time, struggling Premier clubs ? Why was he unable to progress at Liverpool ? And why has the apparently strange move to Austria not been particularly successful ? Is it another case of too much (money) too soon ? Has he lost the fire ?

I know a few people are questioning why Andre Wisdom bombed at other clubs but possibly that could be a lack of real good coaching as well as not being settled in that town or city.

Harry Kane stands out a young player farmed out to several clubs where he made no impact at all.

Wisdom was a big part of our best season in years and on that basis it would be nice to see him get a chance to reach that level of consistency again.

However his apparent lack of development does make this a bit of a punt.

It would be great to see his strength and those buccaneering runs again at Pride Park.

Used to get people on their feet when he galloped over the halfway line.

Personally believe that the coaching he would get will see him become a better player than what he has shown since leaving our club. 

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Depends who his agent is...

Is it Stellar Football Ltd? I'm not 100% sure though. 

He did well for us, but hasn't really done a lot since then in my opinion and Liverpool want a lot of championship money for him, would we play him at right back? Christie is a damm good player but doesn't currently deliver the ball at the right time when attacking but is that Ince fault? And will Ince be with us at the end of the summer transfer window? - all very interesting 

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Two points here:

1. Who's more likely to outmuscle Rudy Gestede for a cross, Christie or Wisdom? Christie is an inch taller than Wisdom, but Wisdom's a lot stronger.

2. I don't think our recent spending is a great basis to go off on heathy transfer fees. But I reckon we'll get him for less than the reported fee, what with add-on's etc.

My view is that there isn't much between them physically, but I do think that Wisdom is a much better defender than Christie and so would pick him any day of the week over Christie if we had a choice.

I didn't say our recent spending was healthy - I was pointing out that £4 million isn't all that much these days and is certainly a figure we can afford (although I would prefer us not to spend that much on Wisdom). Transfer fees are massively over inflated and we are likely going to have to spend unreasonable amounts to bring players in unless of course we start looking to the lower leagues.

Interesting one. Obviously he had a very good spell here, he wouldn't be suggested by countless people every single transfer window if he didn't perform well on loan. I expected him to push on afterwards but that hasn't really happened and for that reason I think the price is a bit steep. As already mentioned, if you halved the fee, then I think that's a good deal and Wisdom's past couple of seasons suggest that could be possible.

The fact that Wisdom is also a very capable centre-back actually gives us another option formation wise, and I think that would be quite interesting to see how it works. By signing Wisdom, we would have a different kind of centre-back we currently don't have. Wisdom coming in would potentially give us a very dangerous looking 3-4-3 side, like Chelsea have been playing this season. If the following players are all here come the start of pre-season, I wouldn't mind seeing how this works out...

Carson

Keogh Wisdom Shackell

Christie                                 Forsyth

Hughes Thorne

Ince                     Vydra

Martin

We'd have three defenders which would bring us different things. Firstly Keogh, a player who can pass out, drive forward with it if needed. Then Wisdom, strength, pace and power. Finally Shackell who is a no nonsense head it, kick it, just keep it out of the net defender. Christie would remain the weak spot, although he'll have the athleticism to play that wing-back role better than Baird. Forsyth will be fine, good crossing and was actually a midfielder at Watford before he came here. I feel that position suits him well. Then the rest is sort of self-explanatory. The formation is in fashion and is proving to be successful, and just looking at that team in writing, I think it looks pretty good.

5 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Lloyd Dyer while at Leicester tore him apart and also Burnley winger at Turf Moor. 

David Nugent  whilst at Fester   tore  Michael Keane  apart   in our 4 - 1 defeat ...       apparently   the same Keane is worth 25mill  (   would still rather have Wisdom  for 4 mill if possible )   and still think Keane is not worth 5 mill  let alone 25mill

Would be delighted if andre came back

Doesnt offer the same willingness to get forward but thats fine by me

As others have touched on i think u would see ince blossom with a more defensive full back behind him not eating his space.

plus with the best will in the world a different league to cyrus defensively

I'm with @Leicester Ram

was having a chat with a colleague (fellow Rams fans in Nottm are heroes to me!) and was asked what I thought we needed. RB, like Baird in that they can be dependable, steady and put a shift in, but younger if possible. We've seen it now, Ince plays a lot better when Baird is behind him. He knows he's got his back, and so he focusses on causing the opposition problems. When asked who, my answer was Wisdom. Mainly because we've seen him do it for us already. Low risk, high reward. Don't mind if he's out of form, means he's worth less money. 

And if he can come in and be a positive in Ince, all the better!

Not sure really.

he always seemed quite negative and passed it back more than butters does when he's having a positive day. I remember the moans from the west stand quite well.

saying that though  he is better defensively than Cyrus and we need a better right back and I'd say it's a priority 

£2 mil or a year loan to a permanent at the end would be a good deal.

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

Interesting one. Obviously he had a very good spell here, he wouldn't be suggested by countless people every single transfer window if he didn't perform well on loan. I expected him to push on afterwards but that hasn't really happened and for that reason I think the price is a bit steep. As already mentioned, if you halved the fee, then I think that's a good deal and Wisdom's past couple of seasons suggest that could be possible.

The fact that Wisdom is also a very capable centre-back actually gives us another option formation wise, and I think that would be quite interesting to see how it works. By signing Wisdom, we would have a different kind of centre-back we currently don't have. Wisdom coming in would potentially give us a very dangerous looking 3-4-3 side, like Chelsea have been playing this season. If the following players are all here come the start of pre-season, I wouldn't mind seeing how this works out...

Carson

Keogh Wisdom Shackell

Christie                                 Forsyth

Hughes Thorne

Ince                     Vydra

Martin

We'd have three defenders which would bring us different things. Firstly Keogh, a player who can pass out, drive forward with it if needed. Then Wisdom, strength, pace and power. Finally Shackell who is a no nonsense head it, kick it, just keep it out of the net defender. Christie would remain the weak spot, although he'll have the athleticism to play that wing-back role better than Baird. Forsyth will be fine, good crossing and was actually a midfielder at Watford before he came here. I feel that position suits him well. Then the rest is sort of self-explanatory. The formation is in fashion and is proving to be successful, and just looking at that team in writing, I think it looks pretty good.

Very good point here, I hadn't thought of it in this way, but if we were planning to play a 3 at the back formation Wisdom would fit perfectly as you said. Since it seems to be the going trend as well, I wouldn't be overly surprised if this was looked at as an option, since it would certainly fit. 

Part of the reason we had such great balance in the run in in 2013/14 was the balance we had in the back four.

We almost played with a back three. Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton staying back. Forsyth causing chaos further up the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Part of the reason we had such great balance in the run in in 2013/14 was the balance we had in the back four.

We almost played with a back three. Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton staying back. Forsyth causing chaos further up the pitch.

Correct. Any player who answers the question "If you weren't a footballer what would you be?" with "A wrestler" would be the first name on the team sheet for me. 

10 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Would be a cracking signing in my opinion.

Never seen such a strong, physical, mature player for his age.

I can remember the laughs around the ground when he used to shoulder barge the wingers off the pitch.

Sign him up.

Loved the way he gave opposition wingers 5 yards start and then would cosy up beside them and suddenly he was 6 yards ahead and they were in a heap beside the advertising boards. Sign him up. He's a wrestler. 

Archived