Signed: Andre Wisdom 4 year deal

Nuwtfly

clarkeram7

Best defender we've had since the turn of the millennium. Considering what we've spent on individual players in recent years, it's a fantastic deal. 

I always remember the one time a winger got in behind him, a good ten yards in front of him. Within seconds Andre had caught him up, took the ball of his toe and brought the ball out. We need a good defender, Baird has shown you don't need to be galloping down the wing to do a good job. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Thing I remember about Wisdom was that he was a very solid defender, with excellent pace and strength . Very rarely beaten. Perfect for the Championship. A bit of an unsung hero that season. You just had confidence that people wouldn't get past him. Just what you want from a defender. 

I would always prefer our full backs to be better at stopping crosses than making them. And at defending rather than attacking. 

If we could 'swap' Christie for Wisdom at a nett zero cost I would be more than happy.

As long as we did a proper due diligence on him. Why has he had so few games at what were, at the time, struggling Premier clubs ? Why was he unable to progress at Liverpool ? And why has the apparently strange move to Austria not been particularly successful ? Is it another case of too much (money) too soon ? Has he lost the fire ?

Who says it's not been successful? If not, why have they enquired how much to buy him on a perm? That's where the £4mill fee has come from (translated from Euro 5 mill). 

33vf9fn.jpg

Apparently, Andre has been playing CB for Salzburg this season.

"Wisdom joined Salzburg on a season-long deal at the end of August, and has made 20 appearances for the club so far, establishing himself as a key player in 2017.

The 23-year-old has played the full 90 minutes in nine of the last 12 league games, after playing 121 minutes in total over the previous 13."

see https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/05/red-bull-salzburg-approach-liverpool-andre-wisdom-loan-extension-201718/

Remember when we played Brum - at their first corner, the 8 foot tall giant they had up front pushed one of our players out of the way to get his head to the ball - next corner, we put Wisdom on him - the bloke pushed Andre who didn't move an inch and the ball sailed into the keeper's hands....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Remember when we played Brum - at their first corner, the 8 foot tall giant they had up front pushed one of our players out of the way to get his head to the ball - next corner, we put Wisdom on him - the bloke pushed Andre who didn't move an inch and the ball sailed into the keeper's hands....

IIRC, Nikola Zigic. What a player

Carving out a regular role in the second half of the season has seen Wisdom thrive, operating on the left of a centre-back pairing next to Paulo Miranda.

Salzburg are yet to lose with Wisdom starting this year, conceding two goals in his last eight league games and keeping six clean sheets.

Centre back pairing of Keogh and Wisdom?

6 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I liked this bit the most.

"We normally try to do our dealings quietly and privately. If we can get them done, great. If we can't and it all gets out in the media and values get inflated, they might be deals that we just leave alone."

Sounds like the Wildschut deal in Jan.

When asked about Wisdom, he said: "He is athletic, strong and has potential to play in the Premier League - so he is the type of player we are interested in."

On the reports linking the player with Derby, Rowett added: "I am sure it is a potential opportunity to try and stoke up the value a little bit.

"Certainly the values that they were talking would be more than we would be looking at, at the moment."

I'd like Wisdom back. I think Liverpool have been leading him up the garden path for a few years now, in terms of there actually being a place for him in their future plans, and maybe he should've realised sooner. He's still a quality footballer though and, perhaps more importantly for us, a good leader who isn't easily flustered. 23 is still a babby in defender years too.

One of the things I like about Baird is that it seems he gets the best out of Ince by staying behind him and letting him do his thing. Christie and Ince sometime look like they're wanting the same space and the whole becomes less than the sum of the parts. 

With Wisdom, he's less inclined to bomb on and, like Baird, should be a perfect foil for Ince in that regard, but is obviously more physically robust defensively.

Although Ince might be going anyway, and Rowett might have thought of Wisdom as a central defender. 

Who knows? I'd like Wisdom back, but it's got a whiff of the unrealistic about it for me. 

Been saying this all year, would love Wisdom back. He's like a younger Baird and will let Ince play at his best, don't forget he can also cover at CB if needed allowing us to keep Baird and giving us another solid option in defensive

PistoldPete2
On 03/05/2017 at 20:25, EnigmaRam said:

Not sure really.

he always seemed quite negative and passed it back more than butters does when he's having a positive day. I remember the moans from the west stand quite well.

saying that though  he is better defensively than Cyrus and we need a better right back and I'd say it's a priority 

£2 mil or a year loan to a permanent at the end would be a good deal.

yeah i dont remember him being very good going forward.

but solid defensively. Depends what we want, but with Ince always cutting inside I think we need an overlapping fullback.

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

but solid defensively. Depends what we want, but with Ince always cutting inside I think we need an overlapping fullback.

John Brayford?

11 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Disagree. Ince is at his best when he is given the most space he can get. He even admitted himself that he preferred playing with a RB that doesn't overlap because that gives him more room and time. 

Would love him in as he is a defender before anything else. I do rate Christie but he would be better suited to a wing back role.  

Wisdom Keogh Shackell Forsyth 

ill be happy with that , all 6ft plus and good in the air. One of our problems this year has been conceding from set plays, well GR is clearly trying to address this. Add a 6ft centre midfielder by the name of George thorne and already I feel a lot more confident at defending set pieces. 

Archived