Jacob Butterfield appreciation society

Carnero

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Maybe he's found his position? Surprised he's never been considered before for the in front of the back 4 role. Swapping Johnson and Butters roles around probably should have been done months ago. They both look more effective in their changed roles.

He has played infront of the back four before, few occasions when weve been chasing the game, brisol city at home being the most recent and standout example

he does get us on the ball but his lack of physical presence and mobility to cover ground and put out fires is a problem, which is only emphasised when Hughes ia also on the pitch

maybegaz raz has a plan, bit more muscle and power in that area would allow the likes of him and hughes to express themselves and do what they do best 

2 hours ago, europia said:

I would prefer to take a view on Butterfields performances over an entire season. It's consistency that achieves success. Typified by Brighton & Hove Albion players.

...as they go down 0-1 to Bristol City at home. :mellow:

My only criticism of Jacob is the tempo of his play. Most of the time he was on the ball yesterday he took way too long to give the pass. One time Ince was making a run but he decided to take a good 5 minutes and then pass to Pearce. Other than that I thought he was very good defensively

Always been a fan of Butters, gets more than his fair share of critism, and that's not saying he's never deserved any, he has not had a good season. 

I firmly believe there is a player who can get us playing their, but that "bit of muscle" next to him in midfield is certainly needed. 

Also no one is giving us £4 million for him in the summer, so does Rowett try and get the consistency out of him that will see him as one the best midfielders in then championship, or do we sell him off at a hefty loss?

GR likes him...

Rowett described Butterfield's performance as "excellent", adding: "His range of passing was really good and we utilised that well.

"Butts has had a bit of stick off the crowd in one or two games. I think sometimes he's had criticism for not being positive enough with the ball but that's more around the philosophy that he's been asked to play previously. That's not his fault. He has been asked to keep the ball, to keep possession and to keep the game moving.

"What we asked of him against Wolves was to use that ability to switch play. He has got two great feet - he can play off his right and off his left foot, that's a crucial attribute for a defensive midfielder who's going to get on the ball and build the game for you.

"You see that when he takes corners. He'll take one with his right foot and then one with his left.

"He has got amazing talent and I felt he really controlled the game for us with his range of passing."

Butterfield was bought to be a Hughes player as he was ruled out for most of the season.

Admired him as a player when he was at Barnsley. Few occasions he looked like he had all the time in the world to play a pass.

Deep lying midfielder would suit him to some extent - but only if the players ahead of him make themselves available for the pass - which is basically what Rowett said. I question whether he has the physicality to play there against better opposition than Wolves, and, I'd much prefer him within striking range of the goal.

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Butterfield was bought to be a Hughes player as he was ruled out for most of the season.

Admired him as a player when he was at Barnsley. Few occasions he looked like he had all the time in the world to play a pass.

Deep lying midfielder would suit him to some extent - but only if the players ahead of him make themselves available for the pass - which is basically what Rowett said. I question whether he has the physicality to play there against better opposition than Wolves, and, I'd much prefer him within striking range of the goal.

I agree. I like him further forward where he can get his shots off. But I'm no football coach. What do I know? 

However, it looks like another manager likes him. I think GR will want to keep him, and I expect clubs in for him. With just a year left I guess we either grab the money for him or give him another deal. 

Interesting summer. Again.

On 30/04/2017 at 09:45, Gaspode said:

Played very well against Wolves - shame he needed a 'carrot' to encourage him - or maybe it's just taken 2 years for us to find his best position in the team....

He said in his very first interview for us that he wants to control the game and be making the most passes on the pitch.

So it's no real surprise that his best performances this season have been when we've been chasing the game and he's been the deepest midfielder and Saturday when he started there.

He's dire. An overpaid lightweight sideways and back passer that can't beat a player tackle defend or even score.  First player we need to move and if playing him means we can sell him easier then sell him. With hughes Thorne Bryson Johnson and Elsnik, seriously who needs this guy. Seriously depressing if we keep him.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He's dire. An overpaid lightweight sideways and back passer that can't beat a player tackle defend or even score.  First player we need to move and if playing him means we can sell him easier then sell him. With hughes Thorne Bryson Johnson and Elsnik, seriously who needs this guy. Seriously depressing if we keep him.

Bit harsh ! Was he not our highest scoring midfielder last season , probably this season too , no stats to back it up ! He is no where near as bad as your making out ! 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Actually think Bryson is the problem, not Butterfield. Even when Butterfield is having a bad game, he still tries to get on the ball whereas Bryson is a headless chicken and is a typical yer da player. Fans love a trier. 

Totally agree

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Actually think Bryson is the problem, not Butterfield. Even when Butterfield is having a bad game, he still tries to get on the ball whereas Bryson is a headless chicken and is a typical yer da player. Fans love a trier. 

What's a yer da player?

I've not seen that expression before.

Archived