Nick Blackman Plans

JaguarRam

Who know's?

I'd love the lad to come good but nearly 18 months and we've had nothing and yes I know most of that isn't his fault.

Hardest worker in training apparently,I don't think anyone can question his atitude.

I wouldn't be surprised for Sheff Utd come in for him,they loved him when he was there.Then watch him score 20 goals.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the worst signings we have made in recent years barring Conor Sammon. I still shake my head in disbelief that we paid upwards of £3 million for a player who was having a purple patch in an otherwise unremarkable and obscenely average career. 

His signing for me was the jewel in the crown of our ludicrous scouting and transfer policy, just to put things into perspective, Anthony Knockeart cost Brighton just over £2 million. . . let that sink in 

11 hours ago, JaguarRam said:

Now as we end the season and we have to offload some of our fringe players and reduce the wage bill. So I was thinking about some ideas to sell on a player that hasn't really worked out for him or for us... Mr Nicholas Alexander Blackman.

Ideas-

1. Sell Will Hughes and hide in the small print that by purchasing this player you agree to take Blackman (no refunds given) or offer Hughes out at 15 million or 12 million and NB

2. Offer NB on a 2 for 1 with another player.

3. Any communication with any other team (by fans or club) should include the words "Would you be interested in Nick Blackman today?"  Include this with any communication with away fans. Think the half price sweets in Whsmith.. In fact get them on it as well....

4. Change his name to something French and offer him to Arsenal.

5. Drop him off at Forest and run away

6. Drop him off at Burton and tell Nigel that he is just like Conor Sammon. Then run away.

7. Drop him off at Swansea and tell Clement that this is your mess.. You sort it. Then run away.

8. Drop him off at Reading and explain he is faulty and see if he under warranty.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? My thoughts are that criticism of individual players is , of course, acceptable but I don't care much for this. Let's hope that the player has the sense not to read message boards.

Well, it made me laugh but I hope it was fairly light-hearted.

I haven't totally given up on Nick Blackman yet as I don't think he's really had a chance to settle into the team in his preferred position. People were saying much the same in defence of Vydra until recently and he looks like he could still come good now he's getting some games.

Although I am not sure that there will be the same opportunity for Blackman here given our number of forwards and he may well have to move to get back into a team on a regular basis. I feel for the guy.

10 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

He really isn't that's bad! It's like the whole Chris Baird thing all over again, some idiots have to have a scapegoat so we pick the player who's barely been given a chance. I really do feel like telling Derby fans to **** off sometimes.

Me too!

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, it made me laugh but I hope it was fairly light-hearted.

I haven't totally given up on Nick Blackman yet as I don't think he's really had a chance to settle into the team in his preferred position. People were saying much the same in defence of Vydra until recently and he looks like he could still come good now he's getting some games.

Although I am not sure that there will be the same opportunity for Blackman here given our number of forwards and he may well have to move to get back into a team on a regular basis. I feel for the guy.

Yes very... I have no control over WHSmiths promotions..

In all seriousness he needs to go out on loan next season. Maybe to pick up some confidence. The facts are that he is 27 and apart from one patch at Reading he hasn't really shown he should be a £3 million player. Not his fault.. Football is about throwing big money at unproven players...

Remember Andy Carroll was worth £35 million at one point after scoring just 31 goals..

34 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Thoughts? My thoughts are that criticism of individual players is , of course, acceptable but I don't care much for this. Let's hope that the player has the sense not to read message boards.

Lol.. I think its fair to say that NB gives 0 f**ks what I write in jest on a forum. He has achieved more in football than I could ever dream of and is a decent bloke.

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

One of the worst signings we have made in recent years barring Conor Sammon. I still shake my head in disbelief that we paid upwards of £3 million for a player who was having a purple patch in an otherwise unremarkable and obscenely average career. 

His signing for me was the jewel in the crown of our ludicrous scouting and transfer policy, just to put things into perspective, Anthony Knockeart cost Brighton just over £2 million. . . let that sink in 

When you think Brentford signed Andre Gray for 1 million, Hogan for 750k and Vibe for 1 million, a combined fee of 2.75 million.

From that 2.75 million they made 21 million from Gray and Hogan and are left with Vibe.

Thats how to do business. 

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

Cruel to say such things! Knockeart would never have come here would he?!

I know we all like to look for the positive in a situation, but NB is, was and always has been an awful player. There's no getting around it, I couldn't for the life of me believe we paid £3m (reported) for him, he's had 3 good months in his whole career. There's not a cat in hells chance anybody will pay a fee for him, I see a lot of loans and subsidised wages until his contract is up. 

1 hour ago, Arsene Titman said:

Personally I can't imagine even he would expect it to be full of praise for him?

If he is adversely affected then he really is never going to be the player he needs to be. I would hope he is either disinterested... or reads it and thinks I cant wait till I grab my chance and enjoy ramming these jibes back down those idiots throats.

11 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

He really isn't that's bad! It's like the whole Chris Baird thing all over again, some idiots have to have a scapegoat so we pick the player who's barely been given a chance. I really do feel like telling Derby fans to **** off sometimes.

I think the difference is Baird is a talented international coming towards the end of his career and Blackman isn't.

10 hours ago, Davide said:

Has he been given a proper chance? I mean up front as a striker. I don't think he has. He has been stuck on the wing and he isn't a winger- like Weimann and played only a handful of times, mostly as a sub. How many full games has he played up front? I think zero. Maybe one half v Leicester but that's it.  I don't think he has looked good on the ball but my point is he has not had a proper chance. A player should be given time, but we've bought players for the sake of it. Same with Weimann who actually looks good. He rarely has played though. 

Correct. He hasn't. As yet I'm unsure if he's been a bit overwhelmed & it's attitudinal or whether he's just not good enough...there have been some "tangle-foot" moments....I won't repeat them...

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

And to put another perspective on matters, before joining Brighton, Knockeart averaged a goal every 5.5 games and Blackman a goal every 5.7 games.

Added to that, the manager who signed Blackman had experience of working with him before.

We can all be Mystic Meg and predict that we should have signed Knockaert instead of Blackman but looking back through the forum I didn't see many people suggesting it at the time!

3 hours ago, DRBee said:

Hope we never see him in a Derby shirt again. Look at his record - we bought him after a short good spell of form for him but the rest of his record is not impressive. He may have been played out of position but what skills have we seen from him that suggest he is worth persevering with - Weimann is much more impressive even if his scoring record is not that good.

It's not enough for him to be hard working - he is the product of a flawed season ( 2015.2016 ) and he is presumably being paid well for his time here. It would be fairer to him to move on to another club.

I don't think he's started enough matches and had enough opportunity. 

I'm not saying we should be keeping Blackman, it's not worked out, but I feel it's hard to judge players who play mainly as a sub and mainly out of position in a team which has been lets face it average all season. I agree that Weimann has looked better and I find it odd he has not played much.

22 minutes ago, Davide said:

I'm not saying we should be keeping Blackman, it's not worked out, but I feel it's hard to judge players who play mainly as a sub and mainly out of position in a team which has been lets face it average all season. I agree that Weimann has looked better and I find it odd he has not played much.

I don't find it odd, they are both pretty average players who offer less than what we already have. Weimann at least has a bit of energy. Blackman had a lucky patch.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't find it odd, they are both pretty average players who offer less than what we already have. Weimann at least has a bit of energy. Blackman had a lucky patch.

But judging by flashes we've seen from Blackman, such as the odd brilliant first touch, it would suggest that he has more natural ability than Weimann. We know what a lack of confidence can do to a player, so why do we lambast Blackman for it?

Pretty much every Derby player has said he does some ludicrously skilful things in training, which adds to the feeling that he has got something there. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but constantly making out like he's the worst player to walk the earth from the bit-part cameos we've seen from him is ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but constantly making out like he's the worst player to walk the earth from the bit-part cameos we've seen from him is ridiculous.

The trouble is that's what he's looked like - it's not making it up. One of the obvious deficiencies in this squad is consistency, do you really think however great Blackman is (not) he's going to add that?

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

But judging by flashes we've seen from Blackman, such as the odd brilliant first touch, it would suggest that he has more natural ability than Weimann. We know what a lack of confidence can do to a player, so why do we lambast Blackman for it?

Pretty much every Derby player has said he does some ludicrously skilful things in training, which adds to the feeling that he has got something there. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but constantly making out like he's the worst player to walk the earth from the bit-part cameos we've seen from him is ridiculous.

Rotherham away last year, played down the line to him at 0-3, appalling 1st touch, weak in the challenge thereafter, leading directly to their 1st goal.

I'm not saying he's poor, but he's looked it every time I've seen him.

Archived