Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

I have a brick as well from the old BBG. Them European nights at the BBG are unforgettable. Leys foundry lighting up and the smoke drifting across the pitch (mud). Going in the boys end and then over the barrier and walking round to the popside. As much as Pride Park is a lovely ground its nothing compared to the BBG atmosphere. I took a video camera to the Arsenal game and video`d me and the eldest lad at the last ever game.....sad I know lol

I remember sitting in the A stand for the last few seasons and made many good friends, especially my mate Paul from Belper and I come up from Brum,  we still sit  together now. 

There was one fellow in the A stand, a true English gentleman, but biased as hell. All match, every match he used to berate the ref with such classics as 'shows us your red shirt referee or put your glasses on referee or you bounder referee or you hound referee ', that was his favourite. But he never swore, until one match when the ref was having a shocker and he said after all the usual insults 'referee, refereeeeee, you're a, you're a, you're a............. You're a bastaaaaaaaaad!! 

Silence descended all around him and we all turned to look at him. Sheepishly and with a very red face, he said 'well, he is' we all fell about laughing.

Good times. 

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

I managed to "get" a brick, an old wooden seat from the Osmaston End and the best thing was one of the single bulbs / lights out of one of the floodlights, its massive !

great stuff, I was a regular on the pop, fantastic times and why is it that thinking about the good times make you feel melancholy?

my first experience of the BBG , was fight night , Franny versus Hunter , totally hooked after that (as was Hunter) other memories include being on the pop side when 33000 packed in the BBG , for a cup tie with Man Utd , and the pop side moving as one every time The Rams got the ball , the clough versus taylor fa cup tie and Mark Wright running from one side of the pitch to the other to sort out Trevor Putney of Norwich after a nasty skirmish with the Tin Man

Ahhhhhh where to start. Read this post yesterday and decided to have a good think first.....

Opening match for me is 1970 freezing cold 4-4 draw with Law; Best n Charlton...Les Green in goal for us and Ive read in later years that this was the game that Peter Taylor decided Les had to go..... I dont remember this day in colour at all. Me and my grandad on the corporation bus from Breadsall Hilltop into town....my grandad with his park drives non filter smoking on the bus.... fish cake and batter bits on Shaftsbury Street for the first time but most certainly not the last.

Another one sticks crazy in the mind is the fog v Burnley..night game...Mark Patterson scores a screamer, goal of his career...then he breaks his leg, the fog descends and the game is called off. Poor lad cant even claim the goal.

Gazza kicking the buckets of water all over....

Penalty spot being re painted v Citeh..Big Joe Corrigan trying to argue the length with the ref....

In sheer awe of the class of David Nish.... Just about every game. 

Being REALLY REALLY glad that I never had to play v Mick Harford.

But I think the game that stays with me as one of the most amazing was a loss actually.... 89 or 90 Im sure... Derby 4 - Chelsea 6. And if my memory serves me correctly we were 1-4 down with 15 mins to go. Never for get that one.... 

Wouldnt sway my memories or supporting this club alongside you lot for owt.... its not being boring has it.

Had a go at this but without much thought - what stands out from a quick review of the memory ? maybe those are the most pertinent (and not sure these are in chronological order) :

- first visit, night match v Hull , 3:2 to us I think in 1969

- Championship presentation at the BBG  on a sunday (? )  after we first won it 

- 4:1 win over Real Madrid, Oct 75 (?) , Charlie at his best

- Roger's incredible 5 against Luton. He should have had 8. 

- Beating the mighty Liverpool in the 80s - think it was 4 ;0 at half time.

- First match against Clough's Forest since their return. 0:0, incredible atmosphere, great game

- Appalling and shocking racism and hatred from Rams fans on the Popside when we played Ardiles and Villas' Spurs

- Running for cover with my old man  out of the Ossie End from rioting Man City fans. Having been a season ticket holder since the old Third Division days he never went to the BBG again. 

- Laughing with my mates when being hemmed in by thousands of fans both getting in to the ground (pop-side)  and coming out, with your feet hardly touching the ground. Little did we know how close to a Hillsborough-like catastrophe we were.

- Crammed into the Normanton terraces to see Norman Whiteside win it for Man U 

- Very similar scenario against Sheff Wed. Bobby Davison - what a hero. 

- Beating Lincoln 7;0 in the third division

- Promotion against Plymouth on the last day of the season

- Ditto against Palace, then the London media's darlings 

16 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The BBG wasn't so special when I first started going to games in the 60s with plenty of empty spaces on the terraces, but I still loved going. How different it was standing on the Popside in the 70s on the European nights, they were the highlights for me. Beating Benfica, led by Eusebio, 3-0 was just one of the many magical nights. But it was the players on the pitch and the event -the European Cup - that made it special not the ground.

If we had now the players we had then Pride Park would be just as special. I don't miss having to arrive 45 minutes before kick off to get a good spot on the terrace, the struggle to get to the toilet or the crush on leaving.

When the fans decide to make it happen, as they have done the past 2 home games, the atmosphere generated at pride Park can be electric.

Mate I'm sorry but if you thing Pride Park is electric compared to the BBG then you are a lucky man .Your hearings got better as you've got older.:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Premier ram said:

my first experience of the BBG , was fight night , Franny versus Hunter , totally hooked after that (as was Hunter) other memories include being on the pop side when 33000 packed in the BBG , for a cup tie with Man Utd , and the pop side moving as one every time The Rams got the ball , the clough versus taylor fa cup tie and Mark Wright running from one side of the pitch to the other to sort out Trevor Putney of Norwich after a nasty skirmish with the Tin Man

forgot to mention the Fulham fixture , most of the Derby fans hugging the touchline waiting for the final whistle , crazy scenes , never seen anything like it , either then or now

I remember the "boys end" .. tucked away in the corner .. lol 

I remember watching Liverpool fans and Derby fans throwing back glass bottles on to each other whilst I was a little kid looking on in awe from the ley stand... it was like a hooligan tennis match 70's style lol 

I remember the game as a little kid when they had to bring out a tape measure to locate the penno spot .. V Citeh with Big Joe in goals ... guess who took the pen ??! lol lol 

I remember selling the RAM programme to punters walking up into the ley stand ... as a boy.. 

I remember watching Netzer and Breitner and Eusebio et al in the Euro games ... 

I remember the Franny Lee Norman Hunter punch up like it was yesterday ... lol 

Great thread and well done EllaFella for starting it. My Baseball Ground experience started in 1967 (Millwall 3-3) although my memory of that day is pretty much gone (have to dig the programme out for a refresher). But general memories of the BBG then and in the 70s are just of tremendous excitement and anticipation (and yes it did involve the prospect of running into the away fans and what might ensue). I don't think I appreciated at the time what I was seeing on the pitch, too young maybe to take in that something really great and memorable and history-making was taking place. When they first spoke or relocating I, like a lot of people I guess, was very much against it, thinking somehow we could redevelop the BBG. But of course that idea was just silly and we moved on.

Someone has mentioned the 1976 semi-final and that, along withe the Leicester play-off, has always been very hard to take. Still not over 1976 when we got a kicking on and off the pitch. Great memories though and looking forward to Brentford tomorrow. COYR!