Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

It's 50 years this month since I first went to the Baseball Ground and I remember the Beatles Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane being played repeatedly on the tannoy system. Every time I hear either of those songs it takes me straight back to standing in the 'Boy' s Corner' and being totally enthralled by attending my first Ram's game. 

I think the game I most enjoyed was the record attendance game two years later in September 1969 when we beat Spurs 5-0. It was unbelievable that a newly promoted club could do that. 

23 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I know...it's probably been done to death but...oh it was special...

How apt: the very final game at the famous old Baseball Ground was against the Arsenal. I am minded of a game some years earlier against the same opposition, for it was an occasion that really brought home to me just how special the place was; a true theatre of football:

The date: 8th September 1979. A sultry sunny September Saturday of an Indian summer. Sweat, cig-smoke and the smell of alcohol-breath fused with hot-dog onions filled the Pop Side air. Arsenal were in town, a side replete with silky, star-studded names that dripped from the tongue like golden syrup: Pat Jennings, Liam Brady, Sammy Nelson-the bum-show-er, O’Leary, Hollins, Rix, Talbot, Stapleton and Alan Sunderland, all perm and moustachioed; the latter two had, in May, ripped the FA Cup from Man Utd in the final of the century. For Derby there was no longer a Gemmill, a Hector, a McFarland or Todd, or even a Charles George. In rapt contra-distinction we had a ring of Irish: Aiden McCafferey, Vic Morland, David Langan, Andy Crawford, and a liquorice-assortment of stalwarts like David Webb, Steve Powell and Steve Buckley, all honest triers but in truth it was thoroughbreds v also-rans, giant oak trees against mere saplings.  We did though have John Duncan, Scottish International all handsome and broad, and neat, and the winger called Gordon Hill, who had killed Rams at Hillsborough in the FA Cup semi just 3 years before. The Baseball Ground was synonymous with trench mud but even that was no more. But there wasn’t a blade of grass either. Instead the surface was 35 tonnes of hard golden sand; had the ref entered the arena carrying a beach-ball nobody would have batted an eye lid. In the pre-match kick-in, wisps of disturbed sand danced on the air. The first half was a foregone conclusion long before 45 mins was up with Arsenal commanding a 2-0 lead.

Then during the break, something strange began to occur. As sun and heat and alcohol combined, the Pop Side found its voice and songs of deep Derby irony began to fill the air...”You need SAND to hold a lit-tul bay-bee, you need SAND to wipe away a tear...” and “Mr SAND-Man,  bring me a dream (bung, bung, bung bung...”). At first, it was a mere ironic acceptance of the Derby team’s fate, but as the 2nd half kicked-off, with Rams attacking the Ossie End, what started to unfurl was a truly remarkable 45 mins. If only we could get one back. Suddenly, Buckley, with lump-hammer left peg, drove the ball at Jennings from 30 yards. The ball, zipped, and dipped, and hit the ground, leather travelling and bouncing on sand, and, smacked the back of the net with Jennings flapping on the floor; 1-2, Pop Side all erupting in Vesuvian delight, a deafening Derbyshire din of high decibel noise. The sound became a continuous stream; the sun, sand and black and white, wall-to-wall volume, a crescendo-ing cacophony of a collective consciousness was stirring the Rams to gargantuan efforts. Arsenal began to cower and fear took hold. I don’t remember Vic Moreland’s equaliser, but I do remember the rocket-propelled roar and the terrace surge as pure pandemonium broke out in the Pop Side. Now, with clock ticking down, 43 minutes had flashed by, we sung to kingdom come. Last minute, Langan...to Carter...Carter in the corner, crosses to Duncan and bullet-header...Jennings’s dustbin-lid sized hand parries...on to the post... and out for a corner....Ohhhhhhh! How we re-coiled....

But wait...Carter’s corner, inch perfect...Duncan again...bullet forehead, ball bulges onion-bag...Goallllllllllllll, the roar again...3-2...mayhem....Final Whistle....Oh fffffff...foot-balll!

As I walked from the ground, outside an Arsenal fan exclaimed, “Liam Brady walks on water, but he can’t run on sand!”. I’d been to the Baseball Ground many times before, but now as a 14 year old, I properly realised how the combination of the architecture – tight, compact stands that trapped the sound, sending it ping-ponging around the entire ground, the proximity of the pitch, and how the fanatical Rams fans, touched by the memory of magic, Real Madrid floodlit nights, - could all combine to fuel an energy that transmitted from the terraces to the men in white just yards away.

Outside, I watched as the Gooners’ team coach drove away...Pat Jennings saw me stare from his front window seat and tipped me a wink. Monday’s Daily Mail match report described how Arsenal bemoaned that Derby had transmitted the sound of the 16,429 fans through the PA system, in amplification. As if... It was just a special place; and I was there.

What's yourn?

You're a prince @Ellafella  Best post I've read on this forum. :thumbsup:

I know we've done this before but its sort of compulsory when it pops up again!

First game 1970 v Everton who were Champions at the time. Walking up to the ground as a 10 year old with the crowds, the smell of cigarette smoke, walking past pubs with that old stale beer smell wafting through the doors, being scared when grown men are shouting and threatening each other across the street, coppers keeping order with clips round the ear.

Get into the ground, feel the buzz, the sheer excitement and electricity of thousands packed in like sardines, swaying and singing, being lifted up by complete strangers and passed down to the front to sit legs crossed at the side of the pitch.....

I remember playing Leicester at home after Clough and Taylor had been sacked/resigned in 1973, it was the first game i went to with mates rather than with an adult. I was on the Popside, i thought i was a proper grown up, its hard to explain, but  i was a skinny little lad who took confidence from being old enough to get the train into Derby, walk up to the ground and be part of the masses singing their hearts out every game. I turned from a timid lad to "one of the boys" at a school that was mainly Stoke fans. Never did get bullied or picked on after that point and have always worn my Rams colours/badges etc since. Still do now.

!974-75 season was unbelieveable, we took on every club with total football. Colin Boulton in goal (got to be the best ever English keeper not to get a cap), Toddy, Nish, Thomas and Peter Daniel (standing in for the injured Roy Mac) at the back, Bruce Rioch, Henry Newton and Archie Gemmill in midfield, Gladys, Zak, Big Rog and Frannie Lee smashing the goals in......went every game, home and away. The Vulcan Street Popside was the place to be back then. Away fans would try and "take" it,  never happened....Tottenham, West Ham, Man City, Arsenal.....all got a good kicking a few seconds after the initial gap opened up on an already packed terrace.....fair play to them, can't remember any other fans trying to take the Popside, How those gaps opened up is amazing but once the bloke with the cap (from Ilson), or the big Dutch lad, Johann, piled in, it was all over for the away lads who thought little Derby were an easy touch. This was 7 or 8 years before the DLF were even heard of.

We are the Derby, the Midlands we rule....:D

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The Vulcan Street Popside was the place to be back then. Away fans would try and "take" it,  never happened....Tottenham, West Ham, Man City, Arsenal.....all got a good kicking a few seconds after the initial gap opened up on an already packed terrace.....fair play to them, can't remember any other fans trying to take the Popside, How those gaps opened up is amazing but once the bloke with the cap (from Ilson), or the big Dutch lad, Johann, piled in, it was all over for the away lads who thought little Derby were an easy touch. This was 7 or 8 years before the DLF were even heard of.

Can't help yourself can you. Even BobbyD outlining earlier how his life supporting father didn't go to another game after experiencing football violence fails to put you off glorifying the wonderful act of kicking someone's head in, even if you do nicely cloak it as nostalgia. You should try and move on from the 70's and the Skinhead culture buddy. Hopefully it's not too late yet for you to become an 80's New Romantic.

10 hours ago, DG24 said:

Love this ....... C STAND CSTAND CSTAND!!!   Check it out on 12:00, classic stuff! 

Absolutely brilliant!

Loved the "Stadia Pie Shop" because the pies on sale "stayed here" since the last match. Pure football comedy class. 

13 hours ago, Premier ram said:

forgot to mention the Fulham fixture , most of the Derby fans hugging the touchline waiting for the final whistle , crazy scenes , never seen anything like it , either then or now

Went on holiday to Magaluf ( classy) that Summer Premier and had a Fulham fan at our hotel. When he found out I supported Derby the mardy git blanked us for the rest of the holiday. Lol... 

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I know we've done this before but its sort of compulsory when it pops up again!

First game 1970 v Everton who were Champions at the time. Walking up to the ground as a 10 year old with the crowds, the smell of cigarette smoke, walking past pubs with that old stale beer smell wafting through the doors, being scared when grown men are shouting and threatening each other across the street, coppers keeping order with clips round the ear.

Get into the ground, feel the buzz, the sheer excitement and electricity of thousands packed in like sardines, swaying and singing, being lifted up by complete strangers and passed down to the front to sit legs crossed at the side of the pitch.....

I remember playing Leicester at home after Clough and Taylor had been sacked/resigned in 1973, it was the first game i went to with mates rather than with an adult. I was on the Popside, i thought i was a proper grown up, its hard to explain, but  i was a skinny little lad who took confidence from being old enough to get the train into Derby, walk up to the ground and be part of the masses singing their hearts out every game. I turned from a timid lad to "one of the boys" at a school that was mainly Stoke fans. Never did get bullied or picked on after that point and have always worn my Rams colours/badges etc since. Still do now.

!974-75 season was unbelieveable, we took on every club with total football. Colin Boulton in goal (got to be the best ever English keeper not to get a cap), Toddy, Nish, Thomas and Peter Daniel (standing in for the injured Roy Mac) at the back, Bruce Rioch, Henry Newton and Archie Gemmill in midfield, Gladys, Zak, Big Rog and Frannie Lee smashing the goals in......went every game, home and away. The Vulcan Street Popside was the place to be back then. Away fans would try and "take" it,  never happened....Tottenham, West Ham, Man City, Arsenal.....all got a good kicking a few seconds after the initial gap opened up on an already packed terrace.....fair play to them, can't remember any other fans trying to take the Popside, How those gaps opened up is amazing but once the bloke with the cap (from Ilson), or the big Dutch lad, Johann, piled in, it was all over for the away lads who thought little Derby were an easy touch. This was 7 or 8 years before the DLF were even heard of.

We are the Derby, the Midlands we rule....:D

Still waiting for the " Utch train stations of England" book to come out we are....

When I had, ahem calmed down a bit I started to take a friends 12 year old lad on the popside ,we were playing Chelsea and the away fans were banned after throwing the seats on to the pitch the previous season .

They did get in and a scrap started on the popside so I took the lad down the front and put him on the running track .I look back up the terracing to see a line of coppers with a sergeant on the end just watching it go on.

I walked back up the terracing through the punch up and spoke to the sergeant "are you going to sort this out I've got a young lad with me and these buggers aren't even supposed to be here"

The copper looked at me took his helmet off and handed it to me " here son you want it sorting out borrow my helmet "

Pride Park just not the same.

15 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Had a go at this but without much thought - what stands out from a quick review of the memory ? maybe those are the most pertinent (and not sure these are in chronological order) :

- first visit, night match v Hull , 3:2 to us I think in 1969

- Championship presentation at the BBG  on a sunday (? )  after we first won it 

- 4:1 win over Real Madrid, Oct 75 (?) , Charlie at his best

- Roger's incredible 5 against Luton. He should have had 8. 

- Beating the mighty Liverpool in the 80s - think it was 4 ;0 at half time.

- First match against Clough's Forest since their return. 0:0, incredible atmosphere, great game

Appalling and shocking racism and hatred from Rams fans on the Popside when we played Ardiles and Villas' Spurs

- Running for cover with my old man  out of the Ossie End from rioting Man City fans. Having been a season ticket holder since the old Third Division days he never went to the BBG again. 

- Laughing with my mates when being hemmed in by thousands of fans both getting in to the ground (pop-side)  and coming out, with your feet hardly touching the ground. Little did we know how close to a Hillsborough-like catastrophe we were.

- Crammed into the Normanton terraces to see Norman Whiteside win it for Man U 

- Very similar scenario against Sheff Wed. Bobby Davison - what a hero. 

- Beating Lincoln 7;0 in the third division

- Promotion against Plymouth on the last day of the season

- Ditto against Palace, then the London media's darlings 

What shall we do with the Argentinians, what shall we do with the Argentinians, what shall we do with the Argentinians er-lye in the morning

bomb bomb bomb the ********, bomb bomb bomb the.........

great days

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

I know we all have different thoughts on Steve Bloomers Anthem but something that's often overlooked is the crowd overlay from the BBG that does capture the spirit, indulge yourself in a quick bit of BBG whilst the mrs isn't around.

the 1st 20 seconds, 43 seconds and 1.33 seconds !!

Regardless of what you think of that song it really does sum up what being Derby County is all about, be it as a supporter or as a player. Gary Rowett could do a lot worse than put that video up on a large screen and make the players read the words. Every single successful side we've had in my memory, the principal attribute it has had is pride in wearing the badge. I remember perfectly the Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith teams. First and foremost they played 100% every game. They gave their all. They won their personal battles. After that their class shone through, but they worked hard and with pride to allow that to happen. Nigel Clough was also big on that aspect (but that's for another, hopefully long ago written, thread). If Rowett can get his team playing with pride in the badge, something which he always did, then that bit of class which these players supposedly have should be more than enough to make them serious contenders for promotion. Derby Pride, let's start showing it EVERY game. After that que sera, sera. What will be, will be! For me this is the "Derby Way".

13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely brilliant!

Loved the "Stadia Pie Shop" because the pies on sale "stayed here" since the last match. Pure football comedy class. 

Agree pure comedy. It looks like he shouldn't really be there (as all the doors seems to be locked) and at the end of every scene the camera lingers just a bit too long on his strange blank expression... great stuff! 

To the poster who was questioning the Ultra Cultra back in the 70's ... 

Well my dad took me to the DCFC game v Sheff United in the season when we were CHAMPIONS of England .. 

We stood at the front in the "away" end .. Looong before the kick off .. 

I'm gazing around at the ground when all these Sheff united fans , maybe 100 or so , ran on to the pitch towards our end charging us .. 

No coppers around. Surreal. lol 

I will never forget the Derby fans from our end charging back at them and taking the corner flags (yes this really happened !) and throwing them back at the United fans ... 

Who then slunked back into the opposite end.. 

This is etched in my memory ... it's not glorification ... just how it was. OK ? 

Like it or SHOVE it for DCFC's new fans and fanbase 

Derby County Football Clubs'  GREATEST days were so far played out at the BBG ... 

If you think as a club we will be champions of England again ... 

If YOU think you will be seeing Benfica or Juve or Real at Pride Park in any competitive games again .. 

Then you can send your money to the charity I choose ... :thumbsup: