Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

6 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

To the poster who was questioning the Ultra Cultra back in the 70's ... 

Well my dad took me to the DCFC game v Sheff United in the season when we were CHAMPIONS of England .. 

We stood at the front in the "away" end .. Looong before the kick off .. 

I'm gazing around at the ground when all these Sheff united fans , maybe 100 or so , ran on to the pitch towards our end charging us .. 

No coppers around. Surreal. lol 

I will never forget the Derby fans from our end charging back at them and taking the corner flags (yes this really happened !) and throwing them back at the United fans ... 

Who then slunked back into the opposite end.. 

This is etched in my memory ... it's not glorification ... just how it was. OK ? 

I was there. That's exactly how it happened. We ran on to the pitch and chased them back to their end. 

On 14/04/2017 at 07:51, i-Ram said:

Can't help yourself can you. Even BobbyD outlining earlier how his life supporting father didn't go to another game after experiencing football violence fails to put you off glorifying the wonderful act of kicking someone's head in, even if you do nicely cloak it as nostalgia. You should try and move on from the 70's and the Skinhead culture buddy. Hopefully it's not too late yet for you to become an 80's New Romantic.

Its how it was. Away fans came into the Popside to attack Derby fans. They got a good kicking. They could have gone into the away section.

The New Romantics were w@nk tbf.

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its how it was. Away fans came into the Popside to attack Derby fans. They got a good kicking. They could have gone into the away section.

And this so called bigger club that lost and drew to us and are hanging on by there short and curlies in the championship and are not holders of the Clough trophy are w@nk, and there's no tbf's about it, it's fact!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/nottingham-forest-v-derby-county-whos-the-bigger-club-you-voted-overwhelmingly-for-one/

25 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Uttox in a frilly shirt...now there's an image....:lol:

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

There was a lad nicknamed " Spands"... Never knew his real name. Wore New Romantic clobber top to bottom complete with Martin Kemp hairstyle... Quite often walked up Osmaston Rd with him from The Spot to BBG. He talked a good fight and often got stuck in. 

This Easter Bank Holiday Monday will be 54 years to the day in 1963 that my Father took me to see the Rams for the first time at the BBG, and my memories have not diminished from that first time.

We played Middlesborough and we stood in the Osmaston End paddock, next to the players tunnel and behind the small wooden dugout. I can't remember the attendance or all who scored, however, I do remember that Derby were losing 3-1 with 5 minutes remaining but we scored twice in those final minutes to draw 3-3.

I have so many memories of following the Rams, home and away, as well as many anecdotes of glories and failures, and despite being pilloried by other club's supporters when I was based overseas, it will always be that first experience which set me on a path of following Derby County football Club.

For me as an 8 year old in October 1976 beating Spurs 8-2. I was stood with my Dad amongst the Spurs fans near the floodlight under the Ley Stand ( you could in those days ). For some reason my Dad thought it was safe to stand there at home games, he must have some sort of death wish. Bruce Rioch scoring the last 4 goals & momentarily sitting on the ball in open play to take the p1ss.

Also May 1983 beating Fulham on the last game of the season to stay up. I was in the ‘kids corner’ with a German student staying with me on a school exchange – he was totally bewildered & petrified & then I took him onto the pitchside for the last few minutes & he nearly had a meltdown thinking we would get nicked & the British police would think bad of German people – I nearly wet myself laughing & told him to grow some.

9 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

This Easter Bank Holiday Monday will be 54 years to the day in 1963 that my Father took me to see the Rams for the first time at the BBG, and my memories have not diminished from that first time.

We played Middlesborough and we stood in the Osmaston End paddock, next to the players tunnel and behind the small wooden dugout. I can't remember the attendance or all who scored, however, I do remember that Derby were losing 3-1 with 5 minutes remaining but we scored twice in those final minutes to draw 3-3.

I have so many memories of following the Rams, home and away, as well as many anecdotes of glories and failures, and despite being pilloried by other club's supporters when I was based overseas, it will always be that first experience which set me on a path of following Derby County football Club.

15th April 1963

Geoff Barrowcliffe and Ray Swallow scored the 2 late goals, the first being scored by Barry Hutchinson.

Attendance was 13,253.

Of course I had to look it up......Derby County   A Complete Record 1884-1988    Gerald Mortimer.

9 hours ago, Agadirram said:

15th April 1963

Geoff Barrowcliffe and Ray Swallow scored the 2 late goals, the first being scored by Barry Hutchinson.

Attendance was 13,253.

Of course I had to look it up......Derby County   A Complete Record 1884-1988    Gerald Mortimer.

One of several excellent books about Derby County's history that were brought out around the same time.

Great memories of the very few games I attended at the Baseball ground (due to finances and moving away). Managed to get to the one v Plymouth where we won 4-2 to go up as champs. That sticks in my mind as being one to remember!

August `68 and we had made a poor start to the season, 5 games without a win.

Ron Atkinson brought his glistening thighs together with his Oxford United team to the Baseball Ground.

We won 2-0 and the overriding memory is of an unlikely twosome, Roy Mac and Willie Carlin, "dancing" with delight after the former had scored.   

As an aside, I wonder what the reaction of the fans would be if we only took only 3 points from our first 5 games next season?

Patience was certainly rewarded in 68/69.

I was fortunate enough to watch our second title win as a youth on the 'pop side' I'll always remember a midweek game towards the end of that season against man city, which we won 2-0 (I think) with Rioch scoring an absolute screamer! The other game that always stands out is our FA Cup quarter final victory over Newcastle...... The goals..... What a game, Charlie George, Kevin Hector, never reach those heights again, I consider myself very fortunate to have witnessed that era........ You Raaaaaaaaams!! 

The piece of Baseball ground turf that was in my mothers garden until 4 years ago. 

I ripped it up on the last match of the 74/74 season against Carlisle. Lovingly carried it in my arms as I hitchhiked home to Norfolk, a big thanks to the drivers that gave me a lift and allowed me to drop Baseball ground dirt in their cars. 

For a few years I watered it and tended to it in a pot, on leaving home my father dug part of his lawn out and planted it in there. Where it stayed until 4 years ago, when it was dug up because my father was ill and my mother to old to look after the lawn. 

2 hours ago, Vulcanboy said:

I was fortunate enough to watch our second title win as a youth on the 'pop side' I'll always remember a midweek game towards the end of that season against man city, which we won 2-0 (I think) with Rioch scoring an absolute screamer! The other game that always stands out is our FA Cup quarter final victory over Newcastle...... The goals..... What a game, Charlie George, Kevin Hector, never reach those heights again, I consider myself very fortunate to have witnessed that era........ You Raaaaaaaaams!! 

The Newcastle quarter final in 76 still my favourite of all time. I even made an appearance in the crowd on the highlights. I can see myself as a teenager stood on the Normanton terrace, which was strange for me as was mostly in the Columbo Pop Side.

1 hour ago, Raminphilippines said:

The piece of Baseball ground turf that was in my mothers garden until 4 years ago. 

I ripped it up on the last match of the 74/74 season against Carlisle. Lovingly carried it in my arms as I hitchhiked home to Norfolk, a big thanks to the drivers that gave me a lift and allowed me to drop Baseball ground dirt in their cars. 

For a few years I watered it and tended to it in a pot, on leaving home my father dug part of his lawn out and planted it in there. Where it stayed until 4 years ago, when it was dug up because my father was ill and my mother to old to look after the lawn. 

There's still a bit of the bbg pitch on a back lawn in Chaddesden ?

On 16/04/2017 at 00:22, Inverurie Ram said:

And this so called bigger club that lost and drew to us and are hanging on by there short and curlies in the championship and are not holders of the Clough trophy are w@nk, and there's no tbf's about it, it's fact!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/nottingham-forest-v-derby-county-whos-the-bigger-club-you-voted-overwhelmingly-for-one/

Brian Clough and his 2 Euro Trophies there is a factor here .. 

Strip that away from them and they're just a small provincial club with a sad fanbase hallucinating on past glories and going nowhere fast .. lol 

We are the bigger club right now ... and right now is ALL that matters... 

5 hours ago, Vulcanboy said:

That newcastle cup game is one of my favourite Baseball Ground memories. Along with the Arsenal 5-0. Benfica, Real Madrid, spartak trvana, 4-0 v forest, the cup win v forest. My greatest regrets - missing spurs 5-0 and 8-2. 

The was some rubbish too. 7-1 defeat to Liverpool. One game v orient when i was puzzled to see that the crowd were genuinely excited because we'd won a corner. For some reason one game that sticks in my mind was a 1-0 home defeat to cardiff when it was so cold i really really really wasn't interested in the match and just wanted to go home. The 35yard screamer from somebody called Vaughan? hardly mattered.