Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

• 4 years later...

This sums it up for me  the good the bad and the ugly. It really was tribal.!.... Lots of match day memories...but probably as a 10 ish year old 1981 last game of the season against Watford..Watford were already promoted as division 2 champions , Derby had to win to stay up( I think), and they did 3-2 in a game that had to be stopped 3 or 4 times due to pitch invasions and fighting, skinheads, new romantics,  casuals ,kevin hector!..it had the lot.

Edited by Danelaw Rams

Also I seem to recall from my days at the Wardwick local history library that the area near the Ground was bought from the Reeves family hence Reeves Road. Their farm was Leacroft farm and so Leacroft Rd. Dairyhouse Road was where they milked the cows.His daughters were Catherine and Augusta (both streets) his son was Malcolm hence Malcolm Street. And Grayling Street is named after the farmer’s donkey! There’s probably more Reeves family connections such as Douglas Street and Olivier Street but my memory isn’t what it was

19 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Also I seem to recall from my days at the Wardwick local history library that the area near the Ground was bought from the Reeves family hence Reeves Road. Their farm was Leacroft farm and so Leacroft Rd. Dairyhouse Road was where they milked the cows.His daughters were Catherine and Augusta (both streets) his son was Malcolm hence Malcolm Street. And Grayling Street is named after the farmer’s donkey! There’s probably more Reeves family connections such as Douglas Street and Olivier Street but my memory isn’t what it was

Great knowledge! Was Vulcan Street named after their cousin Spock? 

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

Olivier Street is in one of Loweman's photos above - the one with the maroon house

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Just trying to picture in my head where that wall is and if it was part of the BBG. I am assuming it was on the Ley side of the ground? But I don't remember that being part of the stand. Maybe the wall between the ground and Leys?

the origional entrance to the ley stand when it was first build and the popside before that, you would go through there and then up some stairs on the side of the stand.

On 13/04/2017 at 10:07, richinspain said:

The smell! Having only been to a handful of games at Pride Park football for me is as much the "aroma" on a cold, damp Wednesday night. I can still smell without having to try too hard. That and my nana's homemade mince pies. Why have tears come to my eyes?  ?

I don't miss those mens' toilets either!

We used to try and wait till we got home!image.png.93da10b8c3617de6694669c52c4b0cb2.png