Nottingham Forest v Derby County

Mafiabob

So pleased Rowett has reverted to our best back four - a proven defensive unit. Keogh's height has been missed, he has shortcomings as a captain and perhaps his chances have passed, but he also benefits from Baird's solidity.

Christie is loose, lacks discipline in defensive responsibility and wastes the ball when he's busy showboating up the pitch, crowding Tom Ince.

It's no surprise how teams have simply targeted the spaces behind the right-back and profited; defending is the prime duty and IMHO, Olssen displays a better balance in his defending and attacking work.

Looking forward to Nugent & Vydra giving front-line energy and pressing ability, hopefully a good balance behind them with Bryson's grafting and Bradley's strength.

If Derby turn up, this team can beat Forest. They are threatened by the suction of the drop-zone and will be desperate for points, it could be fiesty as both teams want to impress new managers - and so I hope the ref isn't a weak 'homer'. 

C O Y R

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cannable said:

T'would be nice to have somebody who's gonna get their foot on the ball though. Not too sure Bryson will be very effectual unless it's a case of him being allowed to buzz around and get forward whilst BJ sits.

Yeah, deffo. But GR only has what he has so until he can get in the players he wants, he's going to go with the players he feels can do the job now. He maybe wrong and they aren't capable but his hands are tied for now.

Interesting team which not many could argue with - Christie injured so Baird plays - Hughes has yet to contribute effectively but his time will come but Johnson has to play to win some tackles and headers, Bryson has massive history against the dogs, Russell behind nugent is interesting but he can swap with Vydra and Ince at the drop of a hat so worth seeing how it goes and may be able to help the two in midfield more than most. The dogs have picked an open looking team so this could get interesting 

29 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Indeed. It's beyond tedious.

What exactly do you think the purpose of a football forum is?

The people you're replying to aren't being massively negative and the talking points they're raising are obvious concerns for most Derby fans. Butterfield and Hughes are widely considered to be our most effective ball players in midfield, they are the footballers Warren was referring to in his comment. Both Vydra and Ince have quite a bit of experience playing in behind the striker at Championship level, Russell doesn't. Hopefully the formation works, but it's perfectly legitimate to question it.

I am not concerned about the front four. There is plenty of fluidity, quality and work rate there.

Bryson and Johnson as a midfield two however is a bit radical. Bryson needs to be higher up the pitch in a midfield three or not figuring at all. It's not his game to sit and dictate.

We don't take kindly to games of an attritional nature anyway, so what's the point in that midfield? It doesn't play to our strengths.

If you are going to play a midfield two, surely it's Johnson and either Hughes or Butterfield.

A brave selection, let's hope it works.

2-1 Forest, I fear.

Just now, Jourdan said:

I am not concerned about the front four. There is plenty of fluidity, quality and work rate there.

Bryson and Johnson as a midfield two however is a bit radical. Bryson needs to be higher up the pitch in a midfield three or not figuring at all. It's not his game to sit and dictate.

We don't take kindly to games of an attritional nature anyway, so what's the point in that midfield? It doesn't play to our strengths.

If you are going to play a midfield two, surely it's Johnson and either Hughes or Butterfield.

A brave selection, let's hope it works.

2-1 Forest, I fear.

Or even De Sart who I feel, like Omar, would be better in a defensive two. As opposed to being the sole defensive midfielder.

Archived