Johnny Russell

Topram

20 minutes ago, Papahet said:

You say two years like it was yesterday

You said that what Russell has done previously doesn't matter, so by the same extent posting a video of Ibe's goal from 2 seasons ago doesn't matter, it is only this season that counts, you levelled the criticism of Russell having no end product this season. Yet when Ibe's has been pointed out, ah well his 0 goals and 0 assists is because he is in higher league and he has been struggling... excuses, same thing you criticise Russell for, admitting he hasn't been at his best.

25 minutes ago, Papahet said:

the quality within the league (out wide) since those two years has improved immensely.  Jota, Judge, Dallas, Mcgready, Knockeart, Richie, Costa, Hernandez, Cairney... 

The highlighted 5 were in the championship 2 seasons ago, and 3 of them haven't left the championship.

34 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Ibe was 18 when he came in, he came straight into the side and looked a cut above the likes of Russell, Coutts and looked a better prospect than the current England international, Jesse Lingard. 

He was in and out of the team because he kept running down the wing, not looking what was happening around him, it is only late December where he started to look at home in the team, and actually looked like a championship player.

40 minutes ago, Papahet said:

he was generally a better player with speed, strength, trickier and the ability to come inside and get a shot on goal, something Russell struggles to do. 18 years old ffs

So because he dribbles with the ball and does a few tricks he is better than Russell, and Russell is rubbish because he isn't the type of player you want on the wing.

42 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Ibe and Ince out wide would've been the dream scenario.

We only signed Ince because we lost Ibe.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, JR has had a bit of stinker of a season form wise. We can all see that. Still, poor form is enough to reduce a player to -awful, must get rid - for some.

But he's honest, as they say. I can take poor form coupled with a best efforts far more easily than talented CBA types.

And let's not pretend that a few more honest performances are one thing we've been craving in this season of false starts and limp efforts.

I'd back Russell to have a much better season next year with us or with someone else. And if he moves, I think its worth recognizing he's been a good servant of Derby County.

25 minutes ago, rynny said:

You said that what Russell has done previously doesn't matter, so by the same extent posting a video of Ibe's goal from 2 seasons ago doesn't matter, it is only this season that counts, you levelled the criticism of Russell having no end product this season. Yet when Ibe's has been pointed out, ah well his 0 goals and 0 assists is because he is in higher league and he has been struggling... excuses, same thing you criticise Russell for, admitting he hasn't been at his best. Russell is supposedly best down the middle, he played down the middle at Dundee United so i'd expect him to have a better end product than someone like Ibe, a winger by nature.

The highlighted 5 were in the championship 2 seasons ago, and 3 of them haven't left the championship. What has that got to do with anything? Russell is still a Championship player too right? Doesn't take away the players I listed are argubly improvements on Russell

He was in and out of the team because he kept running down the wing, not looking what was happening around him, it is only late December where he started to look at home in the team, and actually looked like a championship player. 18 years old at the time, he was/is still learning the game. Russell is almost 27 and still struggles with the basis ie The schoolboy error at Forest of ignoring running down the clock. 

So because he dribbles with the ball and does a few tricks he is better than Russell, and Russell is rubbish because he isn't the type of player you want on the wing. Where have I ever said he's rubbish? He is no more than a average Championship player though. He can't get into a piss poor Scotland squad and very rarely manages a 7/10 performance for us. His assists from last season are pretty much the only thing you or anyone else can get me on, his overall play isn't that great for a side gunning for promotion. He doesn't seem to improve from previous seasons and that is what annoys me "Wait till Martin returns" - Any good player wouldn't need to be so reliant on others to perform to their best abilities. Bryson is another who get's so much love on here and he's been bang average since signing that 5 year contract.

Good players sure, but they won't get us out this league. I said the same about Mcclaren not being the man to get us out the league and you and the other so solid crew members jumped on my back with the win percentage stat's,  he's gone and suddenly players are performing better, magic eh?

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So he's done nowt?! Well if we signed him for goodness knows how much you'd expect GR to turn his form around? If he could do that then he can do it with Russell too for less money!

Russell hasn't done much more this season has he?

JR - does give 100% most of the time, he does so much running, sometimes without then ball, which can be as important as with the ball.

The down size is JR does lack a killer touch in front of goal and is possibly playing at his maxium level  - he is a good championship player, nothing more.

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

Good for him.

He probably hasn't been watching Johnny Russell's performances for the past two and a half years though.

The new excuse for 2017, "balance"

Easily pleased aren't you?

I'd suggest that he has been watching Johnny for the last 2 years considering he tried to sign him for Birmingham... 

He's having a poor season statistically, however other than Ince, can you tell me one of our attackers that hasn't been poor this season? 

I can point to every attacking player missing a chance they should have buried this season...

16 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Any thoughts on why successive managers continue to pick him and why the current manager has again been fulsome in his praise today ? If he is so obviously "useless", what does that make them ? Could it be that there is more to it than those two stats  ? 

And its all right getting rid of someone, but who would you replace them with ?

No idea, maybe because the other wingers we have are no good either. All I know is 1 goal for a player in his position that's played as much as him is rubbish. 

I'm not saying he hasn't played well in past seasons cause he has, but this season he's been real bad and I'd want us to sign someone in the summer just in case Rowett can't get the past Russell back. 

Pretty sure my thoughts on Russell are well known, however, here's my two penneth...

There's a myth that he works exceptionally hard. Well, harder than anyone else. It simply isn't true. Not saying he doesn't work hard, but he works no harder than Tom Ince, which is the natural comparison. So this needs to stop, as it's a pure misconception. Quite often, particularly under McClaren, Russell was brought off, so should be seen to work harder as he likely knew he was going to be subbed - Tom Ince, as the comparison, rarely doesn't complete 90 minutes.

When we are in possession, he has a horrible tendency of hiding next to the nearest defender, or making a run which doesn't drag any defenders away and just makes it impossible for him tor receive the ball - let's call it 'marking himself'. When you notice this, and you watch him do it, it gets quite infuriating. Again, compare this to someone like Tom Ince who will often put himself in a space, be it inside or on the touchline, where he can get it to feet and either lay it off or turn and run. It's night and day.

Finally, he is trusted. This is likely the reason he seems to play week in, week out. He does a job, tries quite hard and when he's 'on' - which he really hasn't been this season - he can be a very good player, but even when he's not, he is at least consistent. Just feel he lacks a bit of a footballing brain, as well as the composure required when he absolutely needs it most. You only need to see the chances he missed first half on Friday, as well as his inability to make a critical decision when striding into the box in the second half, only to get hounded out 8 yards out to see this. This, coupled with the lack of a real alternative currently lead him to play most weeks. His only competition at the moment is Anya, who can be up and down but is versatile so does have some use.

Guess it maybe a little unfair to compare him to Ince so much, but as he is the player on the opposite side and has historically been given a rough time by fans as opposed to Russell, I feel it's fair to now do the reverse.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

JR - does give 100% most of the time, he does so much running, sometimes without then ball, which can be as important as with the ball.

The down size is JR does lack a killer touch in front of goal and is possibly playing at his maxium level  - he is a good championship player, nothing more.

All true but we are a championship team currently- actually I don't think there are too many premiership teams in the premiership if you know what I mean ( below 12th position)

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

All true but we are a championship team currently- actually I don't think there are too many premiership teams in the premiership if you know what I mean ( below 12th position)

There are, there are teams at position 13th to 20th......

Seems like @Papahet is to Johnny Russell what @Ninos and @toddy are to Chris Martin.

Only 16 pages slating one of our players so far. Needs to go back to troll school if they're to compete with the big guns. Can't wait for the carefully selected stats and logical fallacies to really hammer home the arguments.

Personally I like Russell, he seems honest and hard working. This has been his poorest sesson but how many of our players could we say thay for this season. I dont think its a coincidence that it has also been the season with the largest swings in managerial styles and performance. Most players have suffered as a result, not to diminish their own role in this downturn either by the way.

Russell is proven to be a top championship winger in previous seasons. I'd back him to refund that form next season and he's already setting about staking his claim with better performances in the last two matches.

39 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Russell will score the winner tonight to keep our season alive, he will run towards Rowett and jump in his arms.

Then a dog will enter the pitch at 80 minutes with sausages in his mouth being chased by a policeman.

No sausages at DCFC I'm afraid #breakfastclub

34 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Seems like @Papahet is to Johnny Russell what @Ninos and @toddy are to Chris Martin.

Only 16 pages slating one of our players so far. Needs to go back to troll school if they're to compete with the big guns. Can't wait for the carefully selected stats and logical fallacies to really hammer home the arguments.

Personally I like Russell, he seems honest and hard working. This has been his poorest sesson but how many of our players could we say thay for this season. I dont think its a coincidence that it has also been the season with the largest swings in managerial styles and performance. Most players have suffered as a result, not to diminish their own role in this downturn either by the way.

Russell is proven to be a top championship winger in previous seasons. I'd back him to refund that form next season and he's already setting about staking his claim with better performances in the last two matches.

Laughable. He's honest? Eh? What the fookin hell does that mean in terms of quality with a bag of air. Explain this one please. I am honest and being honest in this thread-  does this make me a good footballer capable of a scoring 20 a season? Does it heck. Hard working? Eh? He gets paid enough, I expect nothing less

18 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Laughable. He's honest? Eh? What the fookin hell does that mean in terms of quality with a bag of air. Explain this one please. I am honest and being honest in this thread-  does this make me a good footballer capable of a scoring 20 a season? Does it heck. Hard working? Eh? He gets paid enough, I expect nothing less

When do wingers in the championship ever hit 20 goals? It's incredibly rare. The fact is, if Russell was hardworking, with a perfect touch, perfect vision and perfect finishing he would be at Man Utd or another top premier league side. This is the championship. We should expect our players to have flaws, which they all do. What have you in particular picked Russell out for? Why not Abdoul Camara? You expecting nothing less than 20 goals? You need to learn to deal with expectations then.

Archived