Johnny Russell

Topram

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

We need to get behind JR and give him a boost.

Just lacking the confidence a goal would bring.

I'm more for putting an arm round him.

Agreed

Lots of  things seem to happen when JR plays - most of them good. Far more than when others play his position. Maybe the more technically aware can explain it but its uncanny how he so often he gets the ball and gets in good positions

Like him or not on friday the vast majority of chances came through him, including the goal.

Wouldn't we lose all that if he wasn't playing ?

Hes not perfect, but then again, as we all know,  theres no such thing as perfection 

He's been a great servant to Derby County and long may that continue

What makes everybody think that Ince will be with us next season? One decent bid from a newly promoted team and away he would go which could give us the flexibility we may need, Russell has had a poor return this season so far in terms of goals and assists but basically so has nearly all of them and I believe if we stick with him Russell would return a goal rate of double figures the way we are setting up 

41 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Been utter rubbish this season and needs replacing in the summer. 1 goal 1 assist, imagine if Ince only did that, would be boo'd off the pitch. 

Can you explain how you think creating the leading goal against Forest and then being behind the winner  against QPR  can be described as 'utter rubbish' please ? And thats just in our last two games !

Not trying to wind you up, genuinely would be interested in understanding your thought processes and considered judgement on that statement. 

It would also help if you could advise who you think he should be replaced by - is that someone in the current squad, or someone from outside ? Who specifically do you have in mind in each of those circumstances ? 

The phrase 'utter rubbish' is a pretty severe one. To have some credibility you need to back that up with reason and logic. As it is it cannot be described as an opinion. It is an expression of unsubstantiated emotion. 

There has been an awful lot of games this season where I could understand a discussion about his use to us, games where he's done very little of note going forward.

And then after a game where he created a goal, created himself a couple of chances which, admittedly, he should've done better with, that's when the discussion happens. 

Me was really good on Friday, he's lacking in confidence that's obvious, but people saying he's finished are just daft. Almost like they've forgotten he's a confidence player that goes through rough spells. Plenty of shoots of recovery there on Friday

Sith Happens
53 minutes ago, cannable said:

See how he gets on with Martin back before we make a decision.

You are confusing him with ince now :)

Depends what you're looking for in that position. If it's someone who is more of an all-round player, Russell is your man. If you're not overly bothered about his defensive/midfield work and simply want him in the final third to create and score, its understandable why you want him replaced. 

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We have so many arm chair experts. Baird no good, Johnson no good, Keogh no good, Bryson no good, Martin no good, Russell no good..........Wrong, wrong, wrong , wrong, wrong & wrong!

I was right about Derek Hales though.

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

Can you explain how you think creating the leading goal against Forest and then being behind the winner  against QPR  can be described as 'utter rubbish' please ? And thats just in our last two games !

Not trying to wind you up, genuinely would be interested in understanding your thought processes and considered judgement on that statement. 

It would also help if you could advise who you think he should be replaced by - is that someone in the current squad, or someone from outside ? Who specifically do you have in mind in each of those circumstances ? 

The phrase 'utter rubbish' is a pretty severe one. To have some credibility you need to back that up with reason and logic. As it is it cannot be described as an opinion. It is an expression of unsubstantiated emotion. 

I mean, 1 goal and 1 assist with the amount of football he's played this season surely does my explaining as to why, no? 

8 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Been utter rubbish this season and needs replacing in the summer. 1 goal 1 assist, imagine if Ince only did that, would be boo'd off the pitch. 

Seem to remember a time not too long ago when Ince was was booed off the pitch. Likewise Johnson, Baird and several others. All pretty much back in form now so maybe consider giving Johnny a chance to find his form again too? He didn't just become a bad player, he's just not shining in front of goal this season. I'd argue that the work he does elsewhere on the pitch justifies his playing in any case.

Archived