Johnny Russell

Topram

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

Hard worker someone I like but has no end product... Would love a winger/striker who would also be a hard worker and actually give us 5 assists and 5 goals a season minimum.. 

He will next season I have full confidence in that

1 hour ago, Ashz09 said:

Hard worker someone I like but has no end product... Would love a winger/striker who would also be a hard worker and actually give us 5 assists and 5 goals a season minimum.. 

Think he gave us double that last season? The last two seasons has been quite negative and less offensive so the goals will generally be less. Keep ball and pass it round tactics have cost us. He showed on Friday he can still work hard and get in the right positions and given a goal and a confidence boost I envisage double figures next season

34 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Think he gave us double that last season? The last two seasons has been quite negative and less offensive so the goals will generally be less. Keep ball and pass it round tactics have cost us. He showed on Friday he can still work hard and get in the right positions and given a goal and a confidence boost I envisage double figures next season

His worst season for us prior to this was actually 13/14 (9 goals, 1 assist) which was stop start due to a leg break and a broken cheek bone. Eight goals and fifteen assists in 14/15, ten and eleven in 15/16.

One bad season when the player that he links up with for 1/4 of his goal contributions isn't here and our attack has been broken doesn't warrant his sale.

Did anyone pick upon Johnny Russell berating his own performances this season in his recent interview? 

The interesting bit is where he says words to the affect "a couple of bits have happened in the past which I have allowed to weigh me down for too long and it's time to sort it out"

He could have personal issues, could have had a bust up with previous managers, could miss Martin, or could be burning the candle at both ends....either way he has acknowledged there are issues he needs to resolve.

I love Russell, and he is the type of player with commitment that I pay to see wearing a Derby shirt!

Next season is going to be a big year for Bryson, Russell, Martin and Keogh....and they ain't going anywhere!

It's just an excuse to cover up the fact he's had yet another poor season for us.

Word for word he said pretty much the same last season (http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-i-had-a-really-poor-season-admits-rams-forward-johnny-russell/story-29465435-detail/story.html). It's become boring hearing the same old from players, "lack of consistency", "need to improve" - Him and Bryson have come out with the same excuses for the past two years now.

Maybe, just maybe you just aren't that good lads and your time is up? But effort and passion are the two main attributes nowadays according to most, therefore you'll always have a fanbase. A nice set of tattoo's, along with a fancy beard and a wee bit charisma will always get you over with fans, ask Randy Orton, Roman Reigns or Chris Jericho -despite being a Jericholic myself, in ring they all pretty much suck ass and bore the **** out of me in 2017  :sleep:

I rather go by the 1 goal and 1 assist in 33 league appearances ta.

10 minutes ago, Papahet said:

It's just an excuse to cover up the fact he's had yet another poor season for us.

Word for word he said pretty much the same last season (http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-i-had-a-really-poor-season-admits-rams-forward-johnny-russell/story-29465435-detail/story.html). It's become boring hearing the same old from players, "lack of consistency", "need to improve" - Him and Bryson have come out with the same excuses for the past two years now.

Maybe, just maybe you just aren't that good lads and your time is up? But effort and passion are the two main attributes nowadays according to most, therefore you'll always have a fanbase. A nice set of tattoo's, along with a fancy beard and a wee bit charisma will always get you over with fans, ask Randy Orton, Roman Reigns or Chris Jericho -despite being a Jericholic myself, in ring they all pretty much suck ass and bore the **** out of me in 2017  :sleep:

I was with you until you started talking about wrestling, how can you compare a footballer's form with actors in budgie smugglers?!

A big season for JR next year (final?) but he certainly has the shirt over Camara ( a catchy/casually racist song disguises his lack of ability) and Weimann. 

Maybe try him in a front two once the play offs are out of reach?

If JR didn't have the fancy tattoo's (All footballers with sleeves are good right?), the cheeky personality and the beard he wouldn't have half has many fans, especially of the female nature!

His finishing is embarrassing, I can't believe this guy played down the middle for Dundee, pretty much proves how poor the standard must be up there. "Oh but he scored 9 goals last season"? Great, Theo Robinson had a similar record for us, doesn't make him a decent player going forward does it? 

The decision at Forest not to take the ball in the corner, shown how poor a footballing brain he has. Nothing to do with confidence, it's just shear piss poor decision making and that will ultimately keep costing us with bang average players.

50 minutes ago, Papahet said:

You just made the list!

22 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

I mean, 1 goal and 1 assist with the amount of football he's played this season surely does my explaining as to why, no? 

Any thoughts on why successive managers continue to pick him and why the current manager has again been fulsome in his praise today ? If he is so obviously "useless", what does that make them ? Could it be that there is more to it than those two stats  ? 

And its all right getting rid of someone, but who would you replace them with ?

2 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Any thoughts on why successive managers continue to pick him and why the current manager has again been fulsome in his praise today ? If he is so obviously "useless", what does that make them ? Could it be that there is more to it than those two stats  ? 

And its all right getting rid of someone, but who would you replace them with ?

I'd hazard a guess and say they know a lot more about football than papahet.

19 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

So what is your management credentials then? Champions leagues winner? European cup? Under 7's crossbar challenge?

Most likely the same as yours :)

I sit from the stands, I see what I see with my own eyeballs; a very average Championship player who barely shows anything out the ordinary to get excited. Continually sprouts the same "I had a poor season" line, only to regularly perform worst than the previous year. Continually misses chances to score, continually fails to provide chances for the strikers...

So what exactly is his best attributes? Effort? Passion? He can track back? Gee wiz :lol: Give me a friggin' break. He's nothing more than a bang average Championship player nowadays, ditto Craig Bryson. Living off past reputations, "Wait till Martin returns",  Martin was here last season and neither of them set the world alight. Russell's goal scoring record is pretty similar to Theo Robinsons, he managed double figures one season, it didn't necessarily mean he's the answer to our problems did it?

Someone gave the old "Name a better player then" line. Can name about half a dozen at the top of my head; Ibe, Jota, Mcgready, Marshall, Kighly, Knockeart. Would all have/would be a big upgrade on Russell.

25 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Someone gave the old "Name a better player then" line. Can name about half a dozen at the top of my head; Ibe, Jota, Mcgready, Marshall, Kighly, Knockeart. Would all have/would be a big upgrade on Russell.

Would they? 

They're all ball to feet, look to make something happen types of player. 

Russell's more about making runs, stretching teams and receiving the ball in the areas were he can either score or assist.

In terms of actual productivity; Ibe, Jota, McGeady, Kightly and Marshall have never gotten anywhere near Russell's second best season for us.

Knockaert's best ever Championship output before this season was 9 goals and 7 assists, which still isn't as good as Johnny's second best season with us. 

He's shown enough in the past to warrant another half a season worth of patience, hopefully with a balanced attack.

24 minutes ago, cannable said:

Would they? 

They're all ball to feet, look to make something happen types of player. 

Russell's more about making runs, stretching teams and receiving the ball in the areas were he can either score or assist.

In terms of actual productivity; Ibe, Jota, McGeady, Kightly and Marshall have never gotten anywhere near Russell's second best season for us.

Knockaert's best ever Championship output before this season was 9 goals and 7 assists, which still isn't as good as Johnny's second best season with us. 

He's shown enough in the past to warrant another half a season worth of patience, hopefully with a balanced attack.

Tell a lie, Kightly got eight goals and twenty-one assists nine seasons ago

Archived