Johnny Russell

Topram

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

What have you in particular picked Russell out for? Why not Abdoul Camara? You expecting nothing less than 20 goals? You need to learn to deal with expectations then.

Well considering Johnny Russell gets more game time than Abdoul Camara, considering he's been here longer than any of our current wingers, considering we are still a Championship club and considering this is indeed a Johnny Russell thread, why not?

When the talk of Brum and Brighton were lining up bids, people couldn't wait to see him gone. Hypocritical or what? Now after one half decent game, the fan club have returned. So fickle it's unreal.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Papahet said:

Well considering Johnny Russell gets more game time than Abdoul Camara, considering he's been here longer than any of our current wingers and considering this is indeed a Johnny Russell thread, why not?

When the talk of Brum and Brighton, people couldn't wait to see him gone. Hypocritical or what? Now after one half decent game, the fan club have returned. Deluded bunch, so fickle it's unreal.

Or maybe it's the fact that most people were never part of the lynch mob that you lead. I'd sell Russell if the price was right, as I'd sell all players. However, I don't want him out, I'd rather keep him. Russell gets more playtime than Camara because he's a better player. Why does it matter how long a player has been here? The whole era of stats can distort things massively, goals and assists are too generalized and specific and may not accurately represent what happened on the pitch. What I don't understand is, Russell has admitted to not having a good year, which anyone would admit he hasn't. But as your expecting 20 goals from our wingers you're going to be disappointed by everybody permanently.

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Or maybe it's the fact that most people were never part of the lynch mob that you lead. I'd sell Russell if the price was right, as I'd sell all players. However, I don't want him out, I'd rather keep him. Russell gets more playtime than Camara because he's a better player. Why does it matter how long a player has been here? The whole era of stats can distort things massively, goals and assists are too generalized and specific and may not accurately represent what happened on the pitch. What I don't understand is, Russell has admitted to not having a good year, which anyone would admit he hasn't. But as your expecting 20 goals from our wingers you're going to be disappointed by everybody permanently.

Christ, the 20 goals remark was sarcasm.

Why does it matter how long a player has been here?

Well surely if after three or four years you are no better off, it' time to admit they just aren't quite good enough. Russell and Bryson inparticular will never live up to the 13/14 form, ever again. They are the two main culprits when it comes to putting a consistent run of form together.

Russell always manages a purple patch at the right time for people to give him another chance. Last season he hit 4 in 3 throughout April and put in a performance (and a goal) in the second leg. That automatically bides him yet more time here.

He is doing it again currently, 2 or 3 decent showings and it's "next season he'll come good". Aye, for all 8 games and he's crap again. Over the duration of the season we need consistent performers, especially when things have been against us like this season. Ince and Bent's goals the only saving grace, nobody else has really stood up and been counted.Russell has played enough games to provide goals, score goals and do something (anything!) and it's just being excused  "oh but last season he did this" ********

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Christ, the 20 goals remark was sarcasm.

Why does it matter how long a player has been here?

Well surely if after three or four years you are no better off, it' time to admit they just aren't quite good enough. Russell and Bryson inparticular will never live up to the 13/14 form, ever again. They are the two main culprits when it comes to putting a consistent run of form together.

Russell always manages a purple patch at the right time for people to give him another chance. Last season he hit 4 in 3 throughout April and put in a performance (and a goal) in the second leg. That automatically bides him yet more time here.

He is doing it again currently, 2 or 3 decent showings and it's "next season he'll come good". Aye, for all 8 games and he's crap again.

Maybe his form has coincided with form and fitness of Chris Martin. All of Russell's best numbers were playing alongside Chris Martin. For most of the season he has played next to Bent, who isn't a hold up striker. This means that Russell hasn't had anyone to play off of and make intelligent runs from, whereas Chris Martin allows that. Bryson is the same, plays better with a target man striker. How about we blame recruitment for not best aiding our players and allowing them to fit how we want to play, rather than the players themselves? 

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

He is doing it again currently, 2 or 3 decent showings and it's "next season he'll come good". Aye, for all 8 games and he's crap again.

Russell contributed to a goal in 36 different games out of 99 (72 starts) in 14/15 and 15/16. ?☕

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Maybe his form has coincided with form and fitness of Chris Martin. All of Russell's best numbers were playing alongside Chris Martin. For most of the season he has played next to Bent, who isn't a hold up striker. This means that Russell hasn't had anyone to play off of and make intelligent runs from, whereas Chris Martin allows that. Bryson is the same, plays better with a target man striker. How about we blame recruitment for not best aiding our players and allowing them to fit how we want to play, rather than the players themselves? 

Bryson has been poor since signing the new contract in 2014. If both him and Russell had the intelligence, they'd adjust their game to play without a Chris Martin in the side, yet it seem's impossible though right?

Martin was here throughout last season and the season before that. Yet here we are still a Championship club with those three in the side. Bryson doesn't look anywhere near the player from 13/14, a cameo performance against Leicester in the cup and again, never built on that performance to carry it into the league.

Same old, going round in circles with alot of these players

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Russell contributed to a goal in 36 different games out of 99 (72 starts) in 14/15 and 15/16. ?☕

Great.

How many goals did Ross Mccormack contribute to Fulham prior to his move?

15/16 

Assists: 9

Goals 21

14/15

Assists: 9

Goals 17 

They haven't miss him one bit this season. 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Laughable. He's honest? Eh? What the fookin hell does that mean in terms of quality with a bag of air. Explain this one please. I am honest and being honest in this thread-  does this make me a good footballer capable of a scoring 20 a season? Does it heck. Hard working? Eh? He gets paid enough, I expect nothing less

His honesty allows him to come across as a likeable guy who I feel like supporting in a Derby shirt.

Your honesty makes you come across like an angry douche bag with an axe to grind for no apparent reason which makes me feel like challenging your slightly bewildering level of negativity.

Funny thing the English language.

Just to manage your excitations Russell is never going to score 20 goals a season. He as a proven track record of contributing to around this number at this level though. Hopefully he'll get next season to prove his worth and you wrong and then maybe we can all go out for a burrito and let bygones be bygones...

What do you say sailor?

4 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Bryson has been poor since signing the new contract in 2014. If both him and Russell had the intelligence, they'd adjust their game to play without a Chris Martin in the side, yet it seem's impossible though right?

Martin was here throughout last season and the season before that. Yet here we are still a Championship club with those three in the side. Bryson doesn't look anywhere near the player from 13/14, a cameo performance against Leicester in the cup and again, never built on that performance to carry it into the league.

Same old, going round in circles with alot of these players

Martin wasn't in form and fit for many parts of those two seasons, though. We were top of the table at Christmas time of 14/15 though, playing Russell. Everyone can make the point of 'you're professional, you have to change your game' but it isn't that simple. It's about squad balance. Bryson was very good the other night. Can I just point out, we have never had any consistency during those points, with managers, play style or players. So, I can't name many players who HAVE had consistent performances.

10 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

His honesty allows him to come across as a likeable guy who I feel like supporting in a Derby shirt.

Your honesty makes you come across like an angry douche bag with an axe to grind for no apparent reason which makes me feel like challenging your slightly bewildering level of negativity.

Funny thing the English language.

Just to manage your excitations Russell is never going to score 20 goals a season. He as a proven track record of contributing to around this number at this level though. Hopefully he'll get next season to prove his worth and you wrong and then maybe we can all go out for a burrito and let bygones be bygones...

What do you say sailor?

He can contribute to however many goals mate, but we are still no better off for them this present day:lol: How many goals did Mccormack play a hand in whilst at Fulham? 

I don't want players who are solely friendly, honest, likable characters. I want footballers known for their actual footballing ability thanks. 

By the sounds of Rowett's post QPR interview, Russell's head had been turned by the January interest anyway. Which just show's how easily distracted these players are.

2 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Seems like @Papahet is to Johnny Russell what @Ninos and @toddy are to Chris Martin.

Only 16 pages slating one of our players so far. Needs to go back to troll school if they're to compete with the big guns. Can't wait for the carefully selected stats and logical fallacies to really hammer home the arguments.

Personally I like Russell, he seems honest and hard working. This has been his poorest sesson but how many of our players could we say thay for this season. I dont think its a coincidence that it has also been the season with the largest swings in managerial styles and performance. Most players have suffered as a result, not to diminish their own role in this downturn either by the way.

Russell is proven to be a top championship winger in previous seasons. I'd back him to refund that form next season and he's already setting about staking his claim with better performances in the last two matches.

I agree with what you say on JR. Bit of a difference between a hard working high integrity speed merchant like Russell and Martin - who is the exact opposite. Johnnys decision making has always been strange (leading to him getting the haters) but that's fixable under the right guidance. It's not an accident that it's now that JR is confessing his sins: that's a manifestation of Rowetts clear faith in him. 

When we play premier league opposition the players that acquit themselves well in addition to our wing backs are Hughes Bryson and Johnny and a fit GT. All three have the right tools to excel at any level.

9 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I agree with what you say on JR. Bit of a difference between a hard working high integrity speed merchant like Russell and Martin - who is the exact opposite. Johnnys decision making has always been strange (leading to him getting the haters) but that's fixable under the right guidance. It's not an accident that it's now that JR is confessing his sins: that's a manifestation of Rowetts clear faith in him. 

When we play premier league opposition the players that acquit themselves well in addition to our wing backs are Hughes Bryson and Johnny and a fit GT. All three have the right tools to excel at any level.

Maybe it's just entirely possible that players who have different skills and attributes compliment each other to the overall benefit of the team.

Too easy to take each player in isolation, a team of individuals not complimenting each other doesn't work as we've seen this season.

45 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

No end product, can't play through the middle. Haha, glad rowett is our manager and not some of the people on here. Pleased he got his goal

I'm starting to think he will flourish under Rowett. Can't quite think of the words to say completely what I want to say but you can tell Rowett 'trusts' him, and I think Johnny has needed that trust for a season or two

22 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Knew the second his goal went in some smart arse would be on this thread in a flash.

Kudos JR, one goal doesn't make you Messi but it's a start. Keep the form up  now please 

45 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

No end product, can't play through the middle. Haha, glad rowett is our manager and not some of the people on here. Pleased he got his goal

One goal and now he's the best player to have played??? It's great he got his goal I'm delighted for him but blinming if 1 goal makes you the best then Jesus 

23 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Knew the second his goal went in some smart arse would be on this thread in a flash.

Kudos JR, one goal doesn't make you Messi but it's a start. Keep the form up  now please 

I was more interested in taking the smeg out of the 'lacks quality' comment aimed at Dave Nugent.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Topram said:

One goal and now he's the best player to have played??? It's great he got his goal I'm delighted for him but blinming if 1 goal makes you the best then Jesus 

Who said that? I think some people are just happy for him and hope it boosts his confidence and we see more of the JR we know he can be.

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

Strawmen have a tendency to catch fire. Nowhere has anybody suggested that he is the 'best player' by any stretch of the imagination, so you are trying to win a non-existent argument.

Archived