Johnny Russell

Topram

The thing with players like Russell is because they are pretty much involved in everything he will get noticed. Just because he didn't finish a couple of difficult shots, everyone notices and vilifies him. Some other player who puts half the effort in and misses a couple of chances goes by unoticed. I think he will flourish again soon

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe this guy was a striker at Dundee, he's absolutely shocking in front of goal. He's  been like this for yonks now, nothing to do with confidence he's simply  crap at hitting the target.

If Brighton offered anything over three million in the summer, sell and bring Ibe back for the season.

16 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Can't believe this guy was a striker at Dundee, he's absolutely shocking in front of goal. He's  been like this for yonks now, nothing to do with confidence he's simply  crap at hitting the target.

If Brighton offered anything over three million in the summer, sell and bring Ibe back for the season.

Does Ibe score lots of goals then?

Just now, Papahet said:

Well he scored twice as many goals in his short loan here than Russell has all season, so...

So you're going to compare the goal scoring exploits of a player in a very specific time period who was part of a team creating chances for fun to a player who has been having a drought in a team that has had serious attacking problems all season ?

Can you not see the logical fallacy there ?

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Well he scored twice as many goals in his short loan here than Russell has all season, so...

That's not a fair comparison though Papa, in the same season here in a team that finished in the play offs they both pretty much had the same end product, haven't dug into assists if anyone wants to do that mind.

Ibe 5 in 20, Russell 9 in 46. 

Ibe would offer more to this team than Russell, FFS I wasn't going off goals alone.

When Liverpool recalled him, we sorely missed his quality down the wing. He went past his fullback with ease, that goal at Watford was something I'd like to see Russell attempt. 

I admire his effort, but bloody hell i'd put in, you'd put effort it. that's his bloody job isn't it? We need that extra quality.

13 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Ibe would offer more to this team than Russell, FFS I wasn't going off goals alone.

When Liverpool recalled him, we sorely missed his quality down the wing. He went past his fullback with ease, that goal at Watford was something I'd like to see Russell attempt. 

I admire his effort, but bloody hell i'd put in, you'd put effort it. that's his bloody job isn't it? We need that extra quality.

I can recall many a time Jonny beating his fullback, many a time he has put in crosses for Martin to score, his strike from outside the box to score a great goal against Forest. What more do you want? Maybe for Gary to spend millions of Mel's money on a player, who might be an improvement on what we have.

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I can recall many a time Jonny beating his fullback, many a time he has put in crosses for Martin to score, his strike from outside the box to score a great goal against Forest. What more do you want? Maybe for Gary to spend millions of Mel's money on a player, who might be an improvement on what we have.

...I suspect he's missed him.

27 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Like Bryson, he is living off past reputation.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's what? 26, 27? He should be hitting his peak now for a wide player, he's gone backwards this season massively. Bar the odd cameo performance he really hasn't done much to impress.

He even said in pre season that last season he was poor: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-i-had-a-really-poor-season-admits-rams-forward-johnny-russell/story-29465435-detail/story.html

It's the same story again this season, a few decent games here and there but other than than, pretty bang average - that's being generous 

If there's nobody out there who'd come in and be a upgrade, then I seriously worry about our recruitment. We should have gone for Knockeart, 2.5 million was a steal for Brighton and he is twice the player. Judge, Jota, Ibe, Mcgready,  Marshall, Reach, Kightley, Dallas - All on par or if not better players than Johnny Russell.

We need to find (better) alternatives to Bryson and Russell to get out this league, that's my opinion anyway. Good players in 2014, but nowadays they really aren't up to the (high) standard required to be major players in a push for promotion.

34 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Yep. Someone who converts chances and does not waste crosses. That effort first half on Friday when he shot across the goal just lacked composure. 

Archived