The Reality

Pearson

46 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Any manager worth his salt will always take the opportunity to improve his squad whenever possible. One example, and if it were me, I’d have been down to the Pirelli Stadium and signed Jackson Irvine the moment the transfer window opened. On Burton’s resources he would have been well within our budget and he is head and shoulders above any of our mid-fielders. Just my opinion of course!

So the manager should be sacked because he didn't sign a player that you like? Hmm, seems like a reasonable recruitment policy,

You've convinced me. BOOOO! McClaren out! BOOOO!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, jono said:

Well we had a good look at Clough. Good scout not exactly inspiring as a manager. The other Nigel ? ... Ummmm well he got Leicester promoted and just managed to keep them up. Then turned us from a top 10 side in to a relegation team devoid of spirit playing dull football without any goals. Bit like that TV show .. What's it called ... POintless.

Dunno about Rogers, seems like a good bloke but in the mean time I am very pleased with a manager who has got us off the floor and in to contention for the play offs and who's team provides me with entertainment, skill and a spoonful of hope. 

Clough could build a side that could produce performances but due to tactical naivety and over-cautiousness would cost a teama good 15-20 points a season. McClaren would have had our 11/12 side pushing for the play-offs and had our 12/13 side in them. 

Pearson… tactically clueless but with Walsh and Shakespeare could build one hell of a side… but they've left him now. Also, one of his namesakes key issues is that McClaren is producing results in spite of performances… Pearson stated in pre-season that this is exactly what we needed to do?!??

Rogers has never had to build, only tweak… so how can he say Rogers?! He has to be trolling…

To have got us where we are has been nothing short of miraculous. The side was on its knees when he returned and lets be frank we are only where we are due to the performanes of Carson, Pearce, Keogh, Ince, Bent, Hughes, Baird and to a lesser extent Johnson. That means we have been carrying a number of players who have contributed very little. In an ideal world Lowe/ Olsson would be fully fit. We would have GT back on the park and a central midfielder and wide left contributing anything of worth. I have said since Xmas that play offs will be a bonus but it wont be until the summer that the right players can be slotted in to improve the side as a collective. Only probable could be Incey leaving for a bigger pond. All the rest of contributors will remain which is good.

I was trying to come to terms with the fact we should sack Steve for some reason or other I'm not sure why...now I am trying to come to terms with the fact that Jackson Irvine is not only better than any of our midfielders he is head and shoulders better, and I'm assuming we are including Hughes in that comparison.

I wonder what little gem this thread will throw up next??? Maybe we would be better with fawaz instead of mel because of mumble mumble?

20 hours ago, Pearson said:

With parasites on the end I thought twice about responding to this.

Your sentiment, unless I have miss read you, is for supporters to be more accepting and less demanding and critical?

Can I counter and ask why can’t I have an aspiration and wish to see Derby in the Premiership? A club of our stature should be in the Premiership and I for one long for that day. Unfortunately under the current stewardship I’m unable to see my dream materialising.

I have an aspiration and wish to see Derby in the Premiership too BUT under the current stewardship I think we are closer to realising this dream than we have been for a long, long time. In addition I think we will be much better prepared to stay in the Premiership once we make it.

Surprised to have read a comment on here that Steve isn't here for the long term.

I would have thought rebuilding a squad that can play attractive football would mean having a coach/manager proven to play such football.

He gets the best out of players and as long as we have the right recruitment and a good academy I think Steve will be able to take the club forward.

1 minute ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Surprised to have read a comment on here that Steve isn't here for the long term.

I would have thought rebuilding a squad that can play attractive football would mean having a coach/manager proven to play such football.

He gets the best out of players and as long as we have the right recruitment and a good academy I think Steve will be able to take the club forward.

I agree. Hope he's here long-term this time around.

57 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I agree. Hope he's here long-term this time around.

Sadly; rumours first came about that Powell was offered the job but McClaren was to come in as some kind of director of football. McClaren wasn't going to be the new manager. Then Powell supposedly turned the job down and McClaren took the hot seat.

These are all Nixon rumours BUT it would explain why he was only given a year and a half contract. I hope to God he's here long term though.

21 hours ago, jono said:

Well we had a good look at Clough. Good scout not exactly inspiring as a manager. The other Nigel ? ... Ummmm well he got Leicester promoted and just managed to keep them up. Then turned us from a top 10 side in to a relegation team devoid of spirit playing dull football without any goals. Bit like that TV show .. What's it called ... POintless.

Dunno about Rogers, seems like a good bloke but in the mean time I am very pleased with a manager who has got us off the floor and in to contention for the play offs and who's team provides me with entertainment, skill and a spoonful of hope. 

Completely agree with you @jono and you put it a lot more tactfully than I might have.

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Maybe we would be better with fawaz instead of mel because of mumble mumble?

we'd probably have air conditioning in the concourses instead of the overhead toasters!

well........ maybe the promise of air conditioning.....

Well.......maybe an extract fan

or a hole where one is supposed to be.....

Carry On Mel ! 

23 hours ago, Parsnip said:

So we're swapping Hughes for Irvine, and McClaren for one of these 3?

Are you sure that'll work because on paper it looks like it might not?

I'm on a warning you know.

Have a look, I put stars around Rogers to distinguish him from the other two. Check his record at Swansea, Liverpool and now Celtic. improvements in all cases. Not that he would to drop from the Champions league to the Championship.

Clough,yes, but that's not going to happen. Pearson if it was GM then that's obviously curtains.

Nothing in the post saying I wanted to swap Hughes for Irvine, simply I see him as a better player. He can tackle without picking up a yellow card, scores goals (8 in a team supported by basement players), stronger in the air and has a better engine. 

Anyway judge for yourself in a couple of weeks.

7 minutes ago, irobinson said:

See Bogle knocked a couple in for Wigan tonight - sigh - y didn't we give him a go 

Because we've got enough strikers.. 

39 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Have a look, I put stars around Rogers to distinguish him from the other two. Check his record at Swansea, Liverpool and now Celtic. improvements in all cases. Not that he would to drop from the Champions league to the Championship.

Clough,yes, but that's not going to happen. Pearson if it was GM then that's obviously curtains.

Nothing in the post saying I wanted to swap Hughes for Irvine, simply I see him as a better player. He can tackle without picking up a yellow card, scores goals (8 in a team supported by basement players), stronger in the air and has a better engine. 

Anyway judge for yourself in a couple of weeks.

Just to clarify, you think Jackson Irvine is a better player than Will Hughes?

Archived