The Reality

Pearson

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

And yet he he's been benched by all 3 of this season's permanent managers? I would argue that on his day, he is the best player in the team but that day doesn't seem to come too often at the minute. Don't get me wrong, I love Hughes, but I am starting to doubt whether he will ever truly kick on. I feel like he would do if he played at a higher level with better players, but no Premier League team would want him based on his recent performances. There's certainly a case for saying he's the most naturally gifted player in the squad, but his performances this season (Leicester and Forest aside) certainly suggest that he's overrated by a lot of our fanbase. I know some say he's still not fully fit, but I don't buy that at all. He's had nearly a year now.

P.S. Please don't hate me for this:p. I love Will just as much as anyone else and I'd love to see him lead Derby to glory, I just feel like he wouldn't get the same fanatical following if he was a 27 year old, 500k signing from Stoke's reserves. 

Certain irony there. As you correctly state benched by 3 managers to the dismay of many on here. Yet, Keogh, again to the dismay of many on here, is/was selected every week by the 8 mangers who were then at the helm. 

The irony will still be lost on many, but hey, why worry!!

On 4/12/2017 at 08:42, BurtonRam7 said:

He's done really well, don't get me wrong. However, I just feel like he's never been as good as, or lived up to, the hype that Derby fans give him. I had really high hopes when he came back from his injury last season, as he started to dominate games, but he hasn't really picked up from that this season. I'm struggling to see where he's really improved since he was 16; he hasn't started to control games, he doesn't score more goals, he doesn't get more assists and he hasn't really improved his physicality. The only thing I can think of that he's improved is his timing of the tackle.

He's a very good footballer, but I just find it difficult to keep on telling everyone how great he is based on his performances all season, at an age when you would expect him to start picking his game up. Sadly, I just feel like the only way he will improve is by playing for a better team than us.

He's one of my favourite players and I hope Rowett gives him more playing time, but I just feel like he could do a lot more than he does currently. Hopefully I'm proven horribly wrong and Gary gets him running the show next season as we storm the league. Nothing would make me happier (except a fully fit George Thorne dominating games).

Or he might be sold and this time next year you will be crying out why did qwe sell our best player

25 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Or he might be sold and this time next year you will be crying out why did qwe sell our best player

I would be devastated if we sold him because, as I've repeated many times, he's one of my favourite players and a very talented footballer. I just don't think he's the be all and end all that some make him out to be. 

If we could decent money for him and reinvest that in quality players who will improve us, I wouldn't object much. Anyway, I would say Ince is our best player, and certainly more important to the team. Hughes is a lovely footballer but I'm just starting to give up hope of him kicking on at Derby.

If Hughes does stay I'd love to see him knuckle down in the summer and get really fit because Hughes apparently doesn't take training seriously according to McClaren. Gary Rowett likes players who give 100% + more in games. Hughes is more of an Ozil type of player who drifts through games rather than a Xavi esc player. You have to be a workaholic in midfield nowadays, even one of my favourite players, modric, has transformed into a workaholic now. Xavi in his prime had as much energy as a Kante but this was often overlooked because of his fantastic ability to control a game. Hughes needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck rather than drifting in and out of games. I'd love to see Thorne and Hughes in a 2 but I think it's more likely to be Thorne and Johnson which would probably be more balanced in all honesty.

Archived