The Reality

Pearson

Yesterday’s game completed 20 games under McClaren’s current tenure and is sufficient time to form a critical critique of where we are, and perhaps more importantly, where we are going.

During this period we have played 13 teams in the current top 10 and won only 4 games. We have been outplayed and embarrassed in the majority of these and only good luck coming to our aid in numerous cases. It is, and always will be, a measuring stick in how you perform against superior opposition if you are to demonstrate genuine progression. To that end we are not progressing.

During this and the previous tenure, McClaren has signed 15 and loaned 14 players. Yesterdays starting 11 included 8 Clement, 3 Clough and 1 McLaren signing. Think about that, and after you have, you should come to the conclusion that we have a coach who is incapable of spotting players with any class or potential. Worrying times.

As things stand we are 9pts adrift of Leeds who are 5th and ground which I feel we are not capable of making up. If Shef Wed or Norwich kick on I fear we will not even make the play-offs, and this for me alone, is justification enough to sack McClaren.

The board will stick with him until 2018, and be assured we will still be in the Championship; a new manager will be installed requiring time, which means for us long suffering fans, no Premiership football until 2020 if we are lucky!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pearson said:

Yesterday’s game completed 20 games under McClaren’s current tenure and is sufficient time to form a critical critique of where we are, and perhaps more importantly, where we are going.

During this period we have played 13 teams in the current top 10 and won only 4 games. We have been outplayed and embarrassed in the majority of these and only good luck coming to our aid in numerous cases. It is, and always will be, a measuring stick in how you perform against superior opposition if you are to demonstrate genuine progression. To that end we are not progressing.

During this and the previous tenure, McClaren has signed 15 and loaned 14 players. Yesterdays starting 11 included 8 Clement, 3 Clough and 1 McLaren signing. Think about that, and after you have, you should come to the conclusion that we have a coach who is incapable of spotting players with any class or potential. Worrying times.

As things stand we are 9pts adrift of Leeds who are 5th and ground which I feel we are not capable of making up. If Shef Wed or Norwich kick on I fear we will not even make the play-offs, and this for me alone, is justification enough to sack McClaren.

The board will stick with him until 2018, and be assured we will still be in the Championship; a new manager will be installed requiring time, which means for us long suffering fans, no Premiership football until 2020 if we are lucky!

Your not Nigel Pearson by any chance?

You state we've "only won 4 against current top 10". Well, excluding us from them 10 then that is 9 teams. We have beat Leeds, Wednesday, Norwich and Reading at home, so that's a 100% win rate against current top 10 sides at home under McClaren. 

Away from home admittedly not so good, but so long as we're picking up wins at the likes of Ipswich, QPR and other sides outside the top 10 then that's fine really.

I don't see how anyone can complain given that we'd all conceded we were in for a relegation battle this season when McClaren took over!

20 minutes ago, Pearson said:

I love this kind of counter intuitive argument that challenges us to analyse stuff and not be so sheepish in our thinking. I'm gonna have a good think on what Nigel? has said here ...

5 minutes ago, SIWY said:

You state we've "only won 4 against current top 10". Well, excluding us from them 10 then that is 9 teams. We have beat Leeds, Wednesday, Norwich and Reading at home, so that's a 100% win rate against current top 10 sides at home under McClaren. 

Away from home admittedly not so good, but so long as we're picking up wins at the likes of Ipswich, QPR and other sides outside the top 10 then that's fine really.

I don't see how anyone can complain given that we'd all conceded we were in for a relegation battle this season when McClaren took over!

Good counter !

I'm not sure about the original statement. If I look at the current top 10 then I only see 4 defeats for maclaren being 

Newcastle away

Leeds away

Huddersfield away 

Norwich away 

Haven't done all the analysis of the rest of the matches but supposing the OPs statement is correct then the top 10 mcclaren record is 

P13

W4

L4

D5

not exactly the end of the world given he isn't really working with his first choice squad.

If we get ANYTHING out of this season, it's a proper bonus. Because McClaren's been here before so recently, no ones given him the leniency that a new manager normally gets, he's completely turned us around and has taken us from a relegation fight to a play-off fight.

I know which one I prefer. 

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll be back to what I'd consider a full strength McClaren side until the start of next season.

People can say 'our team isn't good enough' all they like, but this team isn't really meant to be good enough, is it?

It's a mish mash of several managers different ideas, it's not going to be a streamlined, well oiled machine until we've actually had a manager complete a season with us and had a summer to adjust his squad. Can't wait to go into the summer with some certainty about the next season, no matter what league that's in.

If we get playoffs this season then Schteve deserves credit, the start of the season was a total disaster and we were miles away. The recruitment at the club since he left and came back has been a total shambles. I just find it hilarious how a guy with the user name Pearson is on here harshly judging Schteve.

The original post has no context, other than its own negativity. 

The state of the club that SM inherited was abject. Pearsons tenure was abject. He is without George Thorne and Chris Martin. He has made 4-3-3 work with Darren 'fox in the box' Bent as the 'holding player'. The difference between Ince now and Ince in September is massive. 

We have a world class coach. No one on this forum is under the impression that he's the best manager or scout of players. 

But he can get performances and he knows how to carve out wins.

We're currently in nosebleed territory as we're flirting with the play offs, but I'd take 8th now, knowing how this season has gone so far. We have some pretty short memories if we don't remember how poor we were until October.

Judging McLaren now is massively unfair.

i don't know if he'll ever get is up. 

But if we think in Brighton-esque terms ,(I.e roughly same squad/coach over 3-4 seasons playing the same way and gradually getting better and better) then we're on to a winner.

Who would the op suggest as a better replacement!?

29 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Continue to bury your head my friend. The reality will eventually dawn!

Well when it does then there still isn't anything anybody can do about it. We don't make the decisions.

For what it's worth I think we've been fortunate in a number of games this season without playing particularly well like you allude to. Twenty games ago we were left in a relegation scrap with the club all over the shop.

Mac has brought us something to play for at least and some optimism that wasn't there before and you want him sacked? I find that strange although I understand the frustration. I'm sure Mac is as frustrated as anybody.

Over the summer this club needs new players and to work on forging a specific way of playing that brings attractiveness and progression. Hopefully results will follow but for now Mac has done very well indeed and if somehow we can sneak into the play offs with this squad ( a few of which I have my doubts about their quality ) then he has done us all proud.

58 minutes ago, Pearson said:

I think you are correct about us not making the playoffs this season (but that is it). Unless we go on another 5/6 game winning run, we are fighting out with Norwich, Fulham and Wednesday for 6th.

But, what Mac has done with this team since he came back in is pure miracle working after what that fool Pearson did.

Mac is not the long term solution for Derby, only a fool would think that, but he was bought back at the right time.

Anything more than a top 10 finish after the start of the season would be an achievement, then it's all eyes on next season.

This is a clear indication of how stats can be misconstrued to back up somebodys agenda. The bottom line is that we were in free fall under the Mental One whereas  Mac has brought back the feel good factor and repaired a lot of his damage. Wherever we finish this season is a bonus considering the mess Pearson left us in. Did we get annihilated yesterday? You would have thought so after that OP. 

Archived