The Reality

Pearson

1 hour ago, barnsley ram said:

proud of the team that played at newcastle very unlucky to lose this game unlucky to go down to a freak goal like that but more than matched a team who are full of premiership players think we are good enough to get promotoin with this team we have agood blance about us and agood bench to be able to change things when needed

Does show how average some premiership players are though which gives a lot of hope for some of ours

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read through this thread again and am struggling a bit. I can't decide whether the OP should be commended for his misguided loyalty to his namesake or derided for the absolute garbage justification for being so. Pearson giving everyone a chance, 22nd in the table but not scrapping to avoid relegation, 9 points from 22 but a better record than Mac, didn't rate Hughes and shipped out Martin but knew his eggs. Talk about being in denial :ermm:

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He is exactly that, fitting in to the bringing young players through and bringing on bought players coaching mold.

I hope he is. He is likeable, has a track record of wining things with modest clubs .. Borough, Twente 

he got his head turned when in reality he belongs here, it's where he made his name. I don't care if we get promoted this season but I do want to see a manager who sticks around and sees a project through, building an era around a single coherent philosophy. Mel will be desperate to go up, it's costing him 10 million a year to entertain us fans on top of actually buying the club ... and I bet he'd like a bit back but that is secondary. We need a stable forward thinking club that can both buy intelligently and develop its own. Mac can be a big big part of that and I think he sees that himself ( or if he doesn't I'd be very surprised ) 

i know one thing .. I'd rather have Mac as the nearly man than a big Sam type rescue sort of manager.  I want to be at the right end of any league 

I think Pearson makes some good points and we are probably about the eighth best team in the division.

That was dreamland 3-4 months ago.

That we haven't gone higher is down to a higher standard championship than in previous years and our failure to add a dynamic midfielder and a goalscorer.

I worry about our recruitment but there's no doubt we have team spirit.

That has improved under Mac.

8 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I like Mac and I am happy to see him back, but how can we say a man who jumped ship at the sign of a better offer is a long term solution for Derby?

Also, in the years he has been manager of Derby, how many youth players has he promoted to the first team? If anything I would argue that Mac hinders the progress of the youngsters as he dares not risk them in the quest for promotion. Calero was an example of this, he picked him to play in the cup, a game he scored the winner in, he never played again.

Vernam has just made a cup appearance and was farmed out on loan. Even Hanson, our next solid bit of talent after Will Hughes is now playing for another Championship team.

Mac is here to get us promoted, nothing more (in my opinion) 

That's a brilliant post. You're exactly right on young ones. He seems barely interested in them, rather like Clement.

i love this thread and in my view the truth  lies in between: he's a decent manager/ coach for sure, and has done a good job post Pearson but he's nothing special and he lacks tactical nous and is a one trick 4-3-3 pony. The game against Newcastle was an example of how he lacks bravado and we had zero tactics not even trying to shut down shelvey at all, not pressing.

Mcclaren is like a reliable dog that we got back but we need to keep him firmly on a leash and if he fails to deliver by the end of the season in the key games we should look for a better more adventurous dog. If he delivers then let's see if he can step up to the PL because his failure at Newcastle really was nothing short of catastrophic.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Just read through this thread again and am struggling a bit. I can't decide whether the OP should be commended for his misguided loyalty to his namesake or derided for the absolute garbage justification for being so. Pearson giving everyone a chance, 22nd in the table but not scrapping to avoid relegation, 9 points from 22 but a better record than Mac, didn't rate Hughes and shipped out Martin but knew his eggs. Talk about being in denial :ermm:

The point is that @Pearsonis a Derby fanatic who doesn't see mcclaren as the answer to get us promoted. History makes a more compelling case for mac as a failure than as a success but like you I'm prepared to watch and wait to see the outcome of this good run. Plus, you can't deny the WBA game and Forest game  ... some good stuff there.

What a negative post that was by Pearson.

You said it yourself, you consider not finishing in the playoff places.to be failure and is justification to sack McClaren.

I have to disagree.

Given where we were when he arrived, which i think was 4th bottom, I would have considered 21 place and below failure.
If we finish top 6 its a bonus, especially given the form of the top 6 in the last 2 or 3 months.

I do not consider a 7th place finish a failure at all, yes there is still work to do and improvement to be made, but sacking McClaren when we seem to sack a manager every season anyway, would be absolutely ludicrous.

We need stability and we have it with McClaren, this season was essentially a free season to get stability get up to halfway in the table and try make sure we arent in a relegation battle. Im happy with where we are when you consider where Pearson left us.

11 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The game against Newcastle was an example of how he lacks bravado and we had zero tactics not even trying to shut down shelvey at all, not pressing.

...If he delivers then let's see if he can step up to the PL because his failure at Newcastle really was nothing short of catastrophic.

Two nonsense statements that you try and build an anti-Mac, ordinary coach, theory around. The Newcastle game was against a good team at their stadium. We conceded an unlucky goal and when BJ was put on Shelvey things altered. But that meant putting on De Saart who is still not up to speed.

Lots of managers had 'catastrophic' spells at Newcastle, including Rafa who relegated them.

19 hours ago, Pearson said:

Fair point. But again my point is he cant deliver against our illustrious opponents which is where we need to be if we are to progress.Beating the inferior teams means nothing I'm afraid.

Interested in your opinion until I saw this. 

This shows a total lack of understanding for me. If we miss out on the play offs it won't be because we dropped points v Newcastle etc it'll be because we dropped points vs Wigan etc. 

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Two nonsense statements that you try and build an anti-Mac, ordinary coach, theory around. The Newcastle game was against a good team at their stadium. We conceded an unlucky goal and when BJ was put on Shelvey things altered. But that meant putting on De Saart who is still not up to speed.

Lots of managers had 'catastrophic' spells at Newcastle, including Rafa who relegated them.

de sart was best player onthe pitch second half, first time i have seen him thought he bossed mifield when he came on

only my humble opinion

Just now, barnsley ram said:

de sart was best player onthe pitch second half, first time i have seen him thought he bossed mifield when he came on

only my humble opinion

But would he have done that the whole game? Didn't say he didn't do well for a half.

4 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

dont know mate im not an expert but he looked the goods to me

Yeah, but who would you have dropped? But BJ on Shelvey from the beginning would perhaps have had as much effect, really seemed to wind him up! #hindsightisgreat

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not hard to build that theory is it. 

You seriously think Rafa was the reason Newcastle went down? Everyone knows why they went down. Mcclaren has the unsavoury record there of getting the worst set of results out of the best set of players. That took some doing. Yes he's doing better here but don't rewrite history and how very lousy he was there. He has much to prove still.

51 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The point is that @Pearsonis a Derby fanatic who doesn't see mcclaren as the answer to get us promoted. History makes a more compelling case for mac as a failure than as a success but like you I'm prepared to watch and wait to see the outcome of this good run. Plus, you can't deny the WBA game and Forest game  ... some good stuff there.

No Ninos - the point is that whatever the OP's / your / my opinion might be, bitter little diatribes that take fiction and paint it as fact are seldom likely to convince. And if history makes a more 'compelling case' as you put it, for McClaren being a 'failure' than a success, then I'd have to enquire as to what history will say about Pearson? I suspect he'll be nothing more than a footnote.

11 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

dont know mate im not an expert but he looked the goods to me

He is. De Sart is a mini George Thorne. He had the one weaker game but he needs to play, He's vastly superior to Butterfield and pretty much every Derby supporter can see that.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

No Ninos - the point is that whatever the OP's / your / my opinion might be, bitter little diatribes that take fiction and paint it as fact are seldom likely to convince. And if history makes a more 'compelling case' as you put it, for McClaren being a 'failure' than a success, then I'd have to enquire as to what history will say about Pearson? I suspect he'll be nothing more than a footnote.

With us for a fairly brief period but with Leicester how was Pearson not a success? I don't care for Pearson at all, but you can't say he's been a flop.

Archived