Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? Ince looked great for Mac but not so much for others. Don't reckon Will fancied the hard yards that Rowett is demending.

The Ince comment is pretty much the point I was trying to make - why would Ince want to stay when the manager is not playing to his strengths? And Hughes works as hard as anybody, so I refuse to believe he left out of laziness.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? Ince looked great for Mac but not so much for others. Don't reckon Will fancied the hard yards that Rowett is demending.

I don't think we've been watching the same player. Hughes always willing to work for the team if you ask me. 

I am fairly comfortable with all of this, I just want us to get full value for our players and I don't mind selling to sides in the premiership ( not comfortable selling to championship clubs and make them better unless the money is beyond stupid) 

i ecpected us to sell Hughes and Ince and probably Keogh and I did say so when we finished last season but I wouldn't have minded keeping them either, the real annoying bit was not losing Bent and then Weiman returning which may well prove helpful yet.

let us all judge this over a couple of transfer windows and my money is already on Derby county to be promoted this season, optimistic maybe but we do have a very good side currently and it will be getting better

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They don't need to be good passers. Give it to the midfielder nearest to you and let them do the passing.

What formation is Rowett going to play? Not sure how you can knock his plans when you don't even know this yet?

They don't need to be amazing passers, but they need to be good enough to move it quickly out from the back. I keep going back to Shackell, as he's by far the most obvious example we've had recently - with bucko there, if the ball went into the back 4, within 3 or 4 touches, it would have come across the back 4 and back out into midfield and we'd be going again. With Shackell in there, it takes him 3 or 4 touches to get his body shape into position to even attempt the first pass. So everything slows down, the opposition are set and it's so much harder to play through midfield.

If we're loading up on slow players and poor passers, yet trying to play out from the back, it will not work. And likewise, if we're intending on going direct, we need a different striker as Martin is no good at dealing with long balls.  This is what I'm getting at. It doesn't matter what formation Rowett plays, it matters what style, and the squad needs to suit that style. And as it is, we still have a mish mash of a squad that doesn't really suit any style. And Rowett is only talking about 2 or 3 more coming in, so I don't see it changing.

Well, theres no going back now is there

Hughes gone, ince all but gone

the tippy tappy stuff will be a distant memory

not saying thats good or bad, but looks like gaz raz is getting the change in that he spoke of

Would love to see either jota or judge brought into the final third for us, but thats just me 

27 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I have always rated ince but don't forget he was brought in as a stopgap along with bent to cover injuries...

To my mind,neither ever fitted in properly to the style of play and it resulted in,yes,those two getting goals but until Martin returned from injury,the rest of the team suffered and goals dried up from the midfield.

The same happened last season,bent and ince scored but nobody else did.

To my mind,we don't need a super talented winger to replace ince in this division,we need someone better able to supply the rest of the team and link up well with Martin Nugent and vydra.

Let's be honest,Jamie ward wasnt super talented on the wing but he and Russell did a far better job of playing as part of a integrated and linked up set of forwards than ince did......he,quite,understandably,wanted to score all the goals himself

We had goals galore before ince and we can again for less expense i.m.o

I'm done

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

They don't need to be amazing passers, but they need to be good enough to move it quickly out from the back. I keep going back to Shackell, as he's by far the most obvious example we've had recently - with bucko there, if the ball went into the back 4, within 3 or 4 touches, it would have come across the back 4 and back out into midfield and we'd be going again. With Shackell in there, it takes him 3 or 4 touches to get his body shape into position to even attempt the first pass. So everything slows down, the opposition are set and it's so much harder to play through midfield.

If we're loading up on slow players and poor passers, yet trying to play out from the back, it will not work. And likewise, if we're intending on going direct, we need a different striker as Martin is no good at dealing with long balls.  This is what I'm getting at. It doesn't matter what formation Rowett plays, it matters what style, and the squad needs to suit that style. And as it is, we still have a mish mash of a squad that doesn't really suit any style. And Rowett is only talking about 2 or 3 more coming in, so I don't see it changing.

Have to agree to disagree on this as I can't see how any judgement can be made until we've seen how he wants to play.

5 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Well, theres no going back now is there

Hughes gone, ince all but gone

the tippy tappy stuff will be a distant memory

not saying thats good or bad, but looks like gaz raz is getting the change in that he spoke of

Would love to see either jota or judge brought into the final third for us, but thats just me 

I also like both of those players but think Jota would cost the same as Ince but would not score as many.

I really like Tom Lawrence and can see us getting Ibe back on loan 

Looks like we'll get a fair price good luck to Him I could write a giant post about him being a sulky t**t who ruined our team spirit and his dad being an interfering knob head but I can't be arsed this is it I moved on.

I like Ince as a player and his stats in terms of goals and assists are among the best in the league.

I do get a feeling with Ince that he performed very well against mid/lower table teams but didn't rise to the challenge as well against the bigger teams in the league. This could be down to the standard of other players in the team too, but against the big guns you want your star players to perform and I'm not sure Ince always did. 

13 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I'll be more comfortable with this transfer by the end of the summer I reckon.

I hope we get rid of Blackman and Weimann. Despite neither of them being awful players I'd like to see Rowett bring in two younger prospects. My business sense with getting rid of a successful, young player like Ince is that it's worth it if we can bring in two new young prospects who could be at Ince's level in a couple of years, maybe less.

We haven't really been linked to anyone you'd consider an Ince replacement but for example sake I'll say Jordan Ibe on loan with a view to a permanent and Ryan Kent from Liverpool on loan. Both young and done it at Championship level. If you add those two to Anya and Russell it's arguable we've got stronger on the wing.

If we're swapping out Ince for two young talents, while clearing out some of the players who are probably overpaid for their contribution to the team, then I think we're doing good business.

Call me controversial, but I'd keep both of them tbh (Blackman and Weimann)!

Blackman could actually slot straight into Ince's old place... as I said at the time, there was no point buying him because he plays in a too similar way to Ince - likes to play down the right and cut inside onto his left and had a lot of success with it. Weimann when I first saw him (pre season friendly) was for at least half the match the best DCFC player on the pitch IMO. Plus, let's face it, nobody's going to buy Blackman on the basis of last season. Keep 'em both I say - and let GR work his magic on their confidence. I reckon some might be coming back to read this post come the end of the season... (well, hopefully...!)

7 minutes ago, Saity said:

I also like both of those players but think Jota would cost the same as Ince but would not score as many.

I really like Tom Lawrence and can see us getting Ibe back on loan 

i dont think for a second we'll go for ibe

that tom lawrence looks a player doesnt he but can imagine hed cost a very pretty penny 

9 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Blackman could actually slot straight into Ince's old place... as I said at the time, there was no point buying him because he plays in a too similar way to Ince - likes to play down the right and cut inside onto his left and had a lot of success with it. Weimann when I first saw him (pre season friendly) was for at least half the match the best DCFC player on the pitch IMO. Plus, let's face it, nobody's going to buy Blackman on the basis of last season. Keep 'em both I say - and let GR work his magic on their confidence. I reckon some might be coming back to read this post come the end of the season... (well, hopefully...!)

I too would like to see both these (outcasts/scapegoats) whatever they've been since their arrivals really prove a lot of folks wrong. 

Could be an absolute master stroke by GR, I truly hope this to be the case for the players, the club and GR. Hopefully he can make a lot of so called supporters eat some humble pie. 

Knives are out for GR it appears because he is selling players, regardless of what we all think we know he is the manager and is employed to do exactly that. 

As far as I am aware none of us on here have any professional football management qualifications or experience. 

Lets see how things pan out, he knows what he is doing. Some of us may disagree with his decisions, without a crystal ball we have no idea what lies in store this season. 

COYR 

10 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

You can't go saying things like that on here - some who post will have you hung drawn and quartered. 

I think some people may be missing the point. GR has essentially said EVERYBODY is available. They will leave if the valuation is met. The two most saleable assets are Hughes and Ince...based on interest so far. Hughes has gone because the offer met the valuation of him. Ince will go if the valuation of him is met. If there is interest in other players... Keogh, Johnson, Martin, Bent... Whoever... They will go if the valuation the club places on them is met. 

Hughes hasn't gone because he doesn't work hard or wishes to leave. His valuation was met. He accepted the terms offered. He's gone. 

Ince valuation may be met. He may decided Huddersfield is not for him and then stay. 

You can only sell what people want.  You can pick who other teams want. There doesn't have to be some behind the scenes argument or ulterior motive. It's simple supply and demand. 

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

I think you are being unfair to question Hughes or Ince on their levels of commitment, do you think they would have given less than 100% next season had they stayed?  What evidence do you have for that? 

I can understand they may not have enjoyed his style....but to say they wouldn't have bothered giving their all for the team is quite a slur on their respective characters.

You've obviously not seen the Rowett interview where he stated that Hughes had actually said he felt it was time for him to move on?! Ince's father has been quite vocal in saying he felt his son should be in the Premiership and I've not seen Tom dispute that.I'd hardly say that someone wanting to play in the Prem is a problem but that would indicate to me that they're less than "fully committed" to a gruelling season in the Championship. As for that being "quite a slur! ?

Archived