Leeds United v Derby County (A) - Matchday Thread

RamsPolls

10 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

We as a club have spent some serious wonga on players that are not really that good. If i were Mel i would be pretty p1ssed.

Too true unfortunately. Surely, those involved in recruitment can't have missed the fact that we're short of a box to box tough guy. An Archie Gemmill type for those longer in the tooth...I know it's not easy to get hold of that type of player but they are around. We seem to come up against them often enough. I also know that we have George Thorne waiting in the shadows and that if fit, he's the man. However, given some of the players we've brought in, I can't understand why we've ignored this critical area of the team and recruited a number of average, lightweight forwards/midfielders instead. When they are playing, they just get pushed off the ball!

Who do we have who can run at an opposition defence from deep central positions and go past them/win a 50-50 tackle/let them know they are in a game? As I said, not easy - and expensive too - but we need one.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we flattered Leeds. They were organised but not flash in the slightest. If we'd turned up and competed, as we're more than capable of doing, then it would have and should have been a good equal contest. I'm not sure what happened that made us play so below par. Yes, Leeds were up for it but why weren't we? Wrong team selection? Maybe in midfield and left back but it was a tricky one of who to play. At only 1-0 at half time, i really expected a 2nd half comeback but maybe i'm too optimistic. A defeat at Leeds in the context of a season isn't that bad but i bet a lot of teams / fans watching on the box will wonder how we're up there. Recent league performances haven't been that good and scoring goals is definitely a problem. In a way, a bit like at Norwich, i feel that if you're going to lose then it's sometimes better to get well beaten instead of being supposedly unlucky in defeat, as i hope this gets a positive reaction from the players and management.

3 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I think we flattered Leeds. They were organised but not flash in the slightest. If we'd turned up and competed, as we're more than capable of doing, then it would have and should have been a good equal contest. I'm not sure what happened that made us play so below par. Yes, Leeds were up for it but why weren't we? Wrong team selection? Maybe in midfield and left back but it was a tricky one of who to play. At only 1-0 at half time, i really expected a 2nd half comeback but maybe i'm too optimistic. A defeat at Leeds in the context of a season isn't that bad but i bet a lot of teams / fans watching on the box will wonder how we're up there. Recent league performances haven't been that good and scoring goals is definitely a problem. In a way, a bit like at Norwich, i feel that if you're going to lose then it's sometimes better to get well beaten instead of being supposedly unlucky in defeat, as i hope this gets a positive reaction from the players and management.

Best post on this thread. Sums it up perfectly for me 

16 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Best post on this thread. Sums it up perfectly for me 

I also think the first half especially against Burton earlier on in the season was similar. They just got at us from kick off, got players down the sides, balls into the box and we just couldn't cope with it.

Second half we regained some composure but the damage was already done.

At times yesterday we were all over the place but more a lack of leaders, someone to calm things down and genuine attacking outlets that were apparent rather than superb Leeds play.

Yes they were good and approached the game in the manner which I kind of expected us to do at home this season but I feel our personnel out there and team selection partly forced, gave us no real options.

21 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Agree 100%. It's the best Leeds side in years but not unbeatable. They all did their job & did it well. A better side would've got a few more goals though. 

27 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

This is true but Bartley alone could have had a hat trick.

Also we could have had three sent off without complaint.

Strangely hesitant and timid performance.

Pearce must have felt vindicated. We needed his strength.

Shackell's positioning is good but he's a show pony.

Without Hughes or Butterfield on the pitch we lack anyone in the middle who is comfortable with the ball. De Sart didn't get into the game but I would expect more from Johnson and Bryson. I don't know what has happened to Bryson but you cannot afford for your central midfielder to vanish. Towards the end of the match it seemed several of our players were strangers when passing.

Not entirely sure what Ince, Bent or Nugent could have done. We rolled over and let Leeds play.

McClaren will sort it out, he has a clear identity and style he wants but too many who don't suit it and are probably overpaid to not be suiting it!

Poor poor performance  last night. We were never in it. We made changes at half time that seem to give us a lift for 15 minutes . Hope we can go back on a run. But think what happens this season we need to change the squad around in the summer.  Let's dust ourselves  off and go again.

2 hours ago, Spenno said:

It'll be interesting to see how we react to this, not the result but more the manner of the defeat. Leeds certainly looked a decent team but I wonder how much of that was due to us being poor and having the wrong players in the wrong positions. One thing that stood out was that without Hughes and Butterfield our ball retention was nonexistent which meant Leeds just kept coming back at us which they did well particularly down the flanks where Hanson was left exposed. I do think some perspective is needed here though yes we were poor and Leeds were good but it was one game and we were missing a fully fit Hughes and Butterfield. On a separate point the Leeds love in on sky was nothing short of embarrassing it's almost like since celino threatened not to let the sky cameras in they have an agreement that the commentary team, pundits and production team have to give Leeds a rim job whenever they film there.

Wrong players in wrong positions? You know Leeds were playing a youngster who hadn't played this season at right back, a right back at centre back and another right back at left back? They had a centre half injured, a centre half suspended and a left back injured.. they had O'Kane out who would usually start ahead of Vieira in midfield, and Vieira dominated us. They had forward players out and just coming back to fitness.

I don't want to hear these bullsh*t excuses! We were crap and Leeds were good! A make shift Leeds back 4 kept us out, and tbh on another day Bartley their centre half could have had a f*cking hat trick! I don't want to hear this "it was only 1-0" Leeds were dominant and if most of those chances fell to Wood, Hernandez or Roofe instead of a centre half it could have been 3-0 to them at half time! We have to get better asap if we want to make the play offs! All this money spent for that kind of performance is not good enough! No excuses from me, it has to be better.

We need to keep this in perspective. We lost a game 1-0 through poor defending at a set piece - one mistake. Yes it could have been more if LUFC had finished better and for them that must be a concern that they can so dominate a game and only score one goal. I read comments that Ince should be sold, Johnson dropped, Bryson is past it, SM ability called into question - unbelievable stuff. LUFC so dominated the first half due to the 2-3-1 line up giving them superiority in midfield. Camara was closed down by 3 opponents at times and isolated with no good option what do you expect him to do he's not Messi. We know we've got a problem at LB and this did expose Hanson who looks uncertain at best but playing against Hernandez??  We have several PL standard players in the group and there's no way anyone should be writing us off remember where we were a few months ago 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't kid yourself.

Someone who talks sense, finally! An injury and suspension plagued Leeds United dominated us for 80mins.. 

We have to look at ourselves here! Leeds deserved more than their 1-0 win if some of their chances didn't fall to a centre back.

Buy hey, roll on next week! It has to get better soon Schteve!

13 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Hendrick, grant , warnock albentosa shotton Buxton all going. And martin of course. 

yeah but only Hendrick and Martinez was a regular first team player, who is this Albentosa you speak of?

we have about three hundred left backs

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dear me what a drama llama you are. Off you go lovey.

Mac's fault for getting that lot up to 7th? Mac's fault for buying them? Get a grip.

12 hours ago, McLovin said:

So basically sell everyone then!

12 hours ago, Charlie G said:

Please wake up has a supporter of some other team because that is not support 

12 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I think you make some valid points - if a bit over melodramatic. 

Most of these players are not mac's picks. And as a consequence of the past 2 season's turbulence we have a squad with no identity or cohesion. 

Can't sort all of it out in one window. 

I would trade any thought of promotion for some evidence of team progress in terms of identifiable style and consistent performance levels. Remember mac quoting that it was performances he wanted - get those right and results will take care of themselves. 

It will be as important to identify and remove players who cannot fit into mcclarens vision for the team. Sounds like there could be a few and they may not be easy to move on. But it can't be good for the squad morale to continue to carry misfits. 

12 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine, there's a place you will fit right in . It's called the squawk in 6.00 pm radio Derby on Monday.  Your sought of people. 

12 hours ago, Davide said:

Cash in on Will Hughes? our best player? How can you judge Nugent after 20 minutes or whatever? Bent- scores goals. TERRIBLE POST

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Get a grip on yourself. 

Hughes is the best player you have seen in your 13 years of life....and the nooooge looked better in the short time he was on than Bent, Blackman and Vydra have looked since they signed. 

I was only joking, I don't really think we should sack our manager and all the players after 1 bad game xxx Had a few of those tasty leffe beers and fancied a wind up. I'm a cheeky little monkey sometimes ?

3 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I was only joking, I don't really think we should sack our manager and all the players after 1 bad game xxx Had a few of those tasty leffe beers and fancied a wind up. I'm a cheeky little monkey sometimes ?

But jokes are meant to be funny. :p

I wanna apologise for my rant last night aswell, also fuelled by one too many sherbert's...

The beer has worn off but not the disappointment of how we played.

Leeds are just one of those clubs I hate losing against.

We'll be back, in McLaren we trust.

Up the Rams!

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

We escaped lightly last night, on anther day we would have been 3-0 down by HT and a player sent off [Bryson].

Flattered Leeds, you couldn't be far from the truth if you tried, we didn't turn up except for the first 5 minutes of the 1st half and 1st 15 minutes of the 2nd half.

23 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

We'll are your word for it ! I think there was a lot of alcohol or fueled posting last night ! 

Archived