George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Maybe against the weaker sides at home. I don't see Vydra has having a) the skill set to create for others and b) the skill or application to help the midfield out.

I don't think a) would be necessary with him playing off Martin and having thorne and Huddlestone behind him. B) I think is where it would be make or break for me, can he apply himself to helping out the midfield in defence ? Even if its only harassing the opposing CDM.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Have they played together at any point in the pre-season games? Sounds good on paper but doesn't seem to be in Rowett's plans at present. 

They haven't but vydra was injured for quite a few games so it wasn't really an option to try.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I don't think a) would be necessary with him playing off Martin and having thorne and Huddlestone behind him. B) I think is where it would be make or break for me, can he apply himself to helping out the midfield in defence ? Even if its only harassing the opposing CDM.

Tbf I don't recall Baiano helping the midfield out too much.

The signing of Huddlestone is the one we are going to see the mos benefit from in my opinion. In the past when fit, GT was our key player, everything good we did usually started from him. To have a fantastic back-up, and not a square peg to play where he plays is going to make the world of difference.

It would be interesting to see people's opinions on the following hypothetical question. If given the choice of a fully fit George Thorne, or a fully fit Tom Huddlestone for this entire season only, which would you choose? You can only choose one...

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The signing of Huddlestone is the one we are going to see the mos benefit from in my opinion. In the past when fit, GT was our key player, everything good we did usually started from him. To have a fantastic back-up, and not a square peg to play where he plays is going to make the world of difference.

It would be interesting to see people's opinions on the following hypothetical question. If given the choice of a fully fit George Thorne, or a fully fit Tom Huddlestone for this entire season only, which would you choose? You can only choose one...

Thorne

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Toughy.

Hudds for me, faaaaaaar too good for this league and played at the top. Thorne is a very very close second.

only my opinion ;):)

Just now, mwram1973 said:

Toughy.

Hudds for me, faaaaaaar too good for this league and played at the top. Thorne is a very very close second.

only my opinion ;):)

Very tough choice indeed. Not sure who I would pick.

Considering the strengths of both, they are very similar with their good range of passing and ability to sit and dictate play.

If it was a fully fit Thorne v Huddlestone in general, Thorne would edge it due to age & potential having not yet peaked compared to where his ability could take him.

Huddlestone has peaked but he's in a position where he could play another 5 years and still be just as good as he is now. For one season alone, I would go Huddlestone just.

The difficulty of the decision shows how good Thorne is when compared with a previous England international and CL player.

I think he will be back playing games for the first team around the middle of November. Let's say he comes back to training in 3-4 weeks time as an estimate, this will give him enough room to have a month of solid training then another month to play under 23 games. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Hard one to say as I'm not sure to have we seen fully fit Thorne ever?

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Have the club said anything since saying he'd be out 7-10 days? 

Pretty sure GR did say that GT may need 3/4 weeks training. I think @rynny did mentioned this too other week (can you confirm this Rynny?)

Archived