George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No coincidence that the two occasions Thorne has played a part in a season for us, we have made the playoffs.

Think we would have made the play offs the first time anyway, but him coming into the team certainly did see us go into the play offs in a rich vein of form.

Its more telling the seasons we have failed to make them we havent had George or at least a half decent understudy, Johnson did 'ok' there last season but thats all.

That season when he broke his leg, some where sayng he wasnt in great form but if you watch him in a game, the simple things he does are fantastic, gets in the way, breaks up play, ok maybe he doesnt make a world class pass every game like we know he is capable of.

I still maintain people saying players like bryson/butterfield and also include hughes last season arent at their best, its because having no george they drop deep and dont play their natural attacking football. Convinced if we get George back people will see a new Bryson this season.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Is Thorne likely to make an appearance this pre-season?

If he doesn't, he'll be playing catch-up on everyone in terms of fitness well into the season and probably wouldn't be ready until October.

When he picked up his latest knock Rowett said 9-10 days out I believe, but then he was spotted in pictures with the team at MMA training so there's a chance he participated in that. And then the latest update on Thorne was Rowett suggesting he's not likely to start the first few games of the season due to lack of fitness, or something along those lines. So we're not really sure how he's doing at the minute.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If he doesn't, he'll be playing catch-up on everyone in terms of fitness well into the season and probably wouldn't be ready until October.

Said in DET another day that could return training end of the week so maybe back on Monday onwards. Just wait and see.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Id imagine this is why we're looking at huddleston

i dont think for one second rowett envisages playing thorne and huddleston together on a weekly basis due to the sheer lack of mobility

i think he doesnt want to be like previous managers and put most of his eggs in the george thorne basket.

George Thorne might need three or four weeks of training before he plays in a game, according to Derby County manager Gary Rowett.

Thorne has missed Derby's two pre-season friendlies to date against Kidderminster Harriers and Macclesfield Town due to a hamstring injury.

The midfielder picked up the injury at the Rams' training camp in Tenerife.

Thorne missed all of last season as he recovered from a double fracture of his leg which he suffered in the final league game of the 2015-16 campaign.

He has worked hard over the summer and is desperate to return to the pitch but Rowett says the player must be fully ready to avoid breaking down again.

"George is making progress but I think sometimes he's so keen to get back out there that he is pushing himself," Rowett added.

"The problem is at the minute that unless he is ready to get on the pitch we might just have to build him up more sensibly and that is something we have spoken about with the medical department.

"May be he needs three or four weeks training without even thinking about games, and then let's build the games in.

"We have to have a slightly longer term plan with George because this time we want to make sure he is ready rather than he goes in and breaks down again."

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-manager-gary-rowett-gives-an-update-on-george-thorne-s-injury/story-30442859-detail/story.html

On 7/15/2017 at 20:25, Cam the Ram said:

When he picked up his latest knock Rowett said 9-10 days out I believe, but then he was spotted in pictures with the team at MMA training so there's a chance he participated in that. And then the latest update on Thorne was Rowett suggesting he's not likely to start the first few games of the season due to lack of fitness, or something along those lines. So we're not really sure how he's doing at the minute.

Is it just me or does mixing George Thorne with MMA seem the most stupid thing ever?

1 minute ago, WystonRam said:

George Thorne might need three or four weeks of training before he plays in a game, according to Derby County manager Gary Rowett.

Thorne has missed Derby's two pre-season friendlies to date against Kidderminster Harriers and Macclesfield Town due to a hamstring injury.

The midfielder picked up the injury at the Rams' training camp in Tenerife.

Thorne missed all of last season as he recovered from a double fracture of his leg which he suffered in the final league game of the 2015-16 campaign.

He has worked hard over the summer and is desperate to return to the pitch but Rowett says the player must be fully ready to avoid breaking down again.

"George is making progress but I think sometimes he's so keen to get back out there that he is pushing himself," Rowett added.

"The problem is at the minute that unless he is ready to get on the pitch we might just have to build him up more sensibly and that is something we have spoken about with the medical department.

"May be he needs three or four weeks training without even thinking about games, and then let's build the games in.

"We have to have a slightly longer term plan with George because this time we want to make sure he is ready rather than he goes in and breaks down again."

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-manager-gary-rowett-gives-an-update-on-george-thorne-s-injury/story-30442859-detail/story.html

Think this is exactly why we signed an experienced deep playmaker like Huddlestone.

George has been the only DM at the club since Eustace left - let's take a minute to figure out why it has taken us years to sign another one when we have spent around £30 million in that time!

That's a lot of pressure to get back and playing. This way he can take his time, knowing that there's good cover for him.

Having Huddlestone for his twilight years will give George the chance to nurse his knocks and strains once he's back playing.

11 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Wonder how many would let him go on a free next summer,  if he plays less than a dozen games this season

Don't think there would be too many, once/if he gets over his injury problems there's a very valuable player there.

I honestly think with all midfielders fully fit, a "2" of Huddlestone and Thorne would be my first choice. In that role they can both sit in, break up play and deliver killer passes to the 4 further forward who are all interchanging.. the 3 B's play more advanced roles and I just don't think the balance would be there. We played some amazing football in the 4-3-3s of McClaren and co, but don't forget how good the football was for a few months with Bailey and Savage sitting in for Commons, Bueno and Cywka who all swapped and changed. Realise that literally any of our players are better than the ones we had back then (Commons aside perhaps), and that's what gets me excited for the season.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just resign on extremely reduced rates... he owes us at this point.

This pretty much. I'd hate to let him go because you just know he'll never have an injury again and we'll kick ourselves for letting such a good player go. He'll know from the Shaun Barker saga how patient we are so I hope he feels like he owes the club some service. Glad we have finally brought in "cover" though, only about 3 years too late.

I say "cover" because the CDM's we've had whilst GT has been in and out haven't been fit to lace his boots. We should have brought in someone able as soon as he did his knee. Not keep playing our other CM's out of position or bringing in inadequate replacements on loan. 

Just now, Mr Tibbs said:

This pretty much. I'd hate to let him go because you just know he'll never have an injury again and we'll kick ourselves for letting such a good player go. He'll know from the Shaun Barker saga how patient we are so I hope he feels like he owes the club some service. Glad we have finally brought in "cover" though, only about 3 years too late.

I say "cover" because the CDM's we've had whilst GT has been in and out haven't been fit to lace his boots. We should have brought in someone able as soon as he did his knee. Not keep playing our other CM's out of position or bringing in inadequate replacements on loan. 

I would go so far as to say had we adequately replaced him at any point we might well have seen some Premier League football in the last couple of years.

38 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just resign on extremely reduced rates... he owes us at this point.

So if you suffered a serious workplace injury while carrying out your job, had to take a protracted period of sick leave then eventually returned to work, you would be happy for your employer to cut your salary going forward.

I'd ring Theresa May if I were you. You would be ideal for Employment Secretary.

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

So if you suffered a serious workplace injury while carrying out your job, had to take a protracted period of sick leave then eventually returned to work, you would be happy for your employer to cut your salary going forward.

I'd ring Theresa May if I were you. You would be ideal for Employment Secretary.

If I was a sportsman on a lucrative contract and was never fit for work I think reduces terms is the least I'd expect when renewing said lucrative contract! 

20 minutes ago, eddie said:

Would if enjoyed working for my employer and they had spent several millions on me for literally no return at this point.

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

Would if enjoyed working for my employer and they had spent several millions on me for literally no return at this point.

Have you asked Shaun Barker for a refund yet? Also, have you ever heard of this thing called 'insurance'?

Archived