George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, VulcanRam said:

good news, though the time to get excited is when he actually makes it for the first game of the season with a good pre-season under him.

I'll be ecstatic once he can make it through to the end of a season. 

Nearly done it once ....mutter......mutter....Ipswich. .......mccarthy cloggers. .........

15 minutes ago, cannable said:

His injuries have cost him England caps. 

Decent player but I think your stretching it a bit there ,,, 

Keep him fit for the season and we'll be well on our way to promotion, best cdm in the division by a mile, and arguably our most effective player in the squad. Much of the qualities we've lacked this season, strength, leadership, organisation, Thorne brings in spades. Give him the armband next year imo

30 minutes ago, archied said:

Who'd his direct competition be now Carrick and Barry are out of the picture?

Wilshere, Shelvey, Huddlestone, Drinkwater, Dier and possibly Henderson now he's reinvented himself for Liverpool?

Only three of those are naturally defensive. Three of those have played in The Championship since we've had Thorne and he was better than them all. 

He's better than Mascarell and he's playing in the Bundesliga for a mid-table team, in the German cup final and has been linked with a move back to Real Madrid.

9 minutes ago, cannable said:

He's better than Mascarell and he's playing in the Bundesliga for a mid-table team, in the German cup final and has been linked with a move back to Real Madrid.

I think you're seriously under-rating Omar if those three things are the case, proving just how far he's come since his days here. Brilliant progress.

Whats GT done? Sat on the injury table for pretty much the whole time. How is he better? 

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we can get a full season out of him so we can actually see where we're at. His brilliance of 13/14 is a long, long time ago now. 

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Wilshere, Shelvey, Huddlestone, Drinkwater, Dier and possibly Henderson now he's reinvented himself for Liverpool?

Only three of those are naturally defensive. Three of those have played in The Championship since we've had Thorne and he was better than them all. 

Not the highest of benchmarks. I'd say he's got a long way to go before getting above any on your list above. But I'd be so, so pleased to see him back in a Derby shirt, a fit GT would take us up a level no doubt.

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

But your saying his injury has cost him caps??? Turning out good performances for Derby in the championship is a long long way from forcing his way into the full England squad , if your saying that had he not been injured we would have gone up and he would have been turning out star performances in the prem is again a big stretch ,,, don't get me wrong , I think he is a very decent player at championship level but it takes far more than that to get full England caps ,, he may not get anywhere near the performance levels if he get in the prem with us or anybody else ,, sorry but your suggestion that his injury has cost him England caps is a massive stretch 

A little reminder of what we have been missing !!

he can grab this team of misfits by the scruff of the neck and drag them into the Premier League !!

Just hope that he can overcome the physiological side of his injuries !

Well done George, brave lad, fingers crossed that next season is the one that propels you and us to better things !! 

6 minutes ago, archied said:

Was Steve bull the last second tier player to get a full England cap?

Jay Boothroyd. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think you're seriously under-rating Omar if those three things are the case, proving just how far he's come since his days here. Brilliant progress.

Whats GT done? Sat on the injury table for pretty much the whole time. How is he better? 

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we can get a full season out of him so we can actually see where we're at. His brilliance of 13/14 is a long, long time ago now. 

I rate Omar but he needs somebody alongside him to provide balance whereas Thorne provides balance. Thorne's range of passing's better, his passing's more incisive, his positioning's better and he can actually tackle. Omar's two-footed, more mobile and silkier on the ball. 

The point made was that injuries are what's cost George an England cap. Injuries don't effect talent (unless you're a runner) and players don't improve THAT quickly. Dele Alli wasn't significantly better when he made his England debut than he was six months previous when he played his last game in League One. 

I firmly believe that football's as much about situations as much as it is talent. Pearson doesn't get sacked and Mahrez, who he didn't rate, may well have be a Championship player right now.

28 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If he wasn't as injury prone as he is then he wouldn't be playing for Derby County in the Championship.

Absolutely right - he'd be playing for Derby County in the Premier League! :)

19 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

A little reminder of what we have been missing !!

he can grab this team of misfits by the scruff of the neck and drag them into the Premier League !!

Just hope that he can overcome the physiological side of his injuries !

Well done George, brave lad, fingers crossed that next season is the one that propels you and us to better things !! 

If only he can get back fully fit..we will be a different team with him running the midfield....

1 hour ago, archied said:

Really don't think it's that much of a stretch. He only came here because of his injury problems to get his match fitness up and WBA were still pretty keen to keep hold of him, he forced the move. If he had never suffered a serious injury there's a good chance he would still be at West Brom and playing each week. They've blooded a lot of youngsters and I think a fully fit George Thorne would definitely get into their side.

Players like Tom Cleverly, Jake Livermore and Ryan Mason have been called up recently. Livermore was in the latest England squad while at West Brom. How many English midfielders are there who play the same role as him in the PL? Not too many, and any I can think of that are better than him are right at the end of their careers.

I have no doubts that if GT was capable of playing 35+ games, season-in-season-out, then he would be a low top-half/high bottom-half PL midfielder for the majority of his career. Nowadays that's good enough to get you into the England squad, at least sporadically anyway.

Archived