George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

54 minutes ago, David said:

DET ran an update on November 18th

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/steve-mcclaren-provides-injury-update-on-derby-county-midfielder-george-thorne/story-29913955-detail/story.html

"George is back on the grass, back running, and building up again," said McClaren.

"With these little setbacks, it keeps getting longer and longer and we are going to have to be patient, and he is going to have to be patient.

I think it would be nice to have a monthly update on such an important asset. Two months with nothing is quite a long time.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think it would be nice to have a monthly update on such an important asset. Two months with nothing is quite a long time.

Not really, McClaren did say patience was required, didn't exactly sound like a return was imminent.

Do we want to be told he's had another setback, month later sorry another setback.

Fans would start writing him off.

I'm sure once a return is near the club will be the first to stick him in front of the camera to hype his return up.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Not really, McClaren did say patience was required, didn't exactly sound like a return was imminent.

Do we want to be told he's had another setback, month later sorry another setback.

Fans would start writing him off.

I'm sure once a return is near the club will be the first to stick him in front of the camera to hype his return up.

Don't agree really. No harm in telling us what the situation is. If he's likely out for at least another two months then why not say? We would know where we are. If he's likely out for the season why not say so, if he then comes back sooner everyone is pleased.

23 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Don't agree really. No harm in telling us what the situation is. If he's likely out for at least another two months then why not say? We would know where we are. If he's likely out for the season why not say so, if he then comes back sooner everyone is pleased.

We know where we are, the club have said they are not putting any time frame on his return as he keeps having setbacks, that alone should tell you it won't be any time soon. 

Might be a case of him not returning this season but keeping it quiet from Thorne as well, keep his head up through the recovery believing he could be back soon. 

Only 2 people that really really need to know at the end of the day and that's Thorne and McClaren. 

6 hours ago, OwenB87 said:

We asked about it every week, for a time.

It became a bit of a joke with Nigel Pearson and then with Steve that he would always get the George Question.

It's just become accepted that he's out, the club won't put a time frame on his return, and when there's a development, they'll tell us.

I'd love to do an interview with him, but it's very, very rare we get interviews with the players outside the pre-match/post-match environment now.

Owen - not particularly on topic but just out of interest - is the reticence to talk to you because DCFC would rather communicate through their own media outlets like RamsTV or because they don't like the media including RD? You would have thought that having Colin Gibson there would give you a head start over some of the other outlets.

And, when they do the pre and post-match interviews, do you get to choose a player to speak to you or is it the club's choice only? Have you had requests to interview people turned down, so much so that you've stopped bothering to ask, or do you still ask?

It appears, to a mere fan, that all football clubs - and in most sports from international teams downwards - now really want to control access to players and officials to the wider media, so that it is limited to pre and post event interviews only and then by contractual requirement.  

Whether you blame this on a wish for greater control by the clubs so that they can monetise and control it or because they've just got cheesed off by the wilder elements of the media is another discussion.

I guess that it might be hard for you to answer this given that you need the relationship with DCFC to do your job, so don't if it would cause any difficulty

Just now, Rampant said:

Get GT fit then sell him. The guy has wonderful ability but can you honestly see him playing 30+ league matches in a season very often? Or indeed ever? 

If you wish to sell him, you'll have to prise him from my cold, dead hands!

10 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I'd love him to stay for years but I fear his is going to be a career ruined by injuries.

Am I right in thinking George enters the last year of his contract with us next season? Seem to remember him signing a 4 year deal, whilst it's doubtful there would be a big que to sign a player that has missed 2 out of the last 3 seasons, you just know it would be Sod's law that if he moved on he wouldn't get injured in his career again and would fulfil the potential we all know he has.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Am I right in thinking George enters the last year of his contract with us next season? Seem to remember him signing a 4 year deal, whilst it's doubtful there would be a big que to sign a player that has missed 2 out of the last 3 seasons, you just know it would be Sod's law that if he moved on he wouldn't get injured in his career again and would fulfil the potential we all know he has.

I'd give him a year extension now but with the additional year appearance based like I believe we did with Barker;

A. As a boost for him

B. So we don't get in a situation we're he's running the show again but with six months left 

@RadioactiveWaste and @Gypsy Ram

I think you need to Go to you Tube and watch 10 minutes of ladies beach volley ball so you know where you stand.

After that if you still have these feelings for George then it's ok, but whatever your feelings, confusion in life never helps. It's a bit like the difference between 442 and 433 .. You just have to know what's right for your skill set. 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

@RadioactiveWaste and @Gypsy Ram

I think you need to Go to you Tube and watch 10 minutes of ladies beach volley ball so you know where you stand.

After that if you still have these feelings for George then it's ok, but whatever your feelings, confusion in life never helps. It's a bit like the difference between 442 and 433 .. You just have to know what's right for your skill set. 

I'd turn for just two men.

George and Steve.

It's natural!

18 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Owen - not particularly on topic but just out of interest - is the reticence to talk to you because DCFC would rather communicate through their own media outlets like RamsTV or because they don't like the media including RD? You would have thought that having Colin Gibson there would give you a head start over some of the other outlets.

And, when they do the pre and post-match interviews, do you get to choose a player to speak to you or is it the club's choice only? Have you had requests to interview people turned down, so much so that you've stopped bothering to ask, or do you still ask?

It appears, to a mere fan, that all football clubs - and in most sports from international teams downwards - now really want to control access to players and officials to the wider media, so that it is limited to pre and post event interviews only and then by contractual requirement.  

Whether you blame this on a wish for greater control by the clubs so that they can monetise and control it or because they've just got cheesed off by the wilder elements of the media is another discussion.

I guess that it might be hard for you to answer this given that you need the relationship with DCFC to do your job, so don't if it would cause any difficulty

The landscape has changed, I think.

Sports clubs have become media outlets and content creators in their own right. So it's natural that they would want to keep things for themselves.

For as long as I've been doing the job it's been a case of we talk to who we're given to talk to - there's not enough time or any opportunity to request an interviewee post-match.

Every now and again we'll ask for something a little extra - like the one-to-one I had with Chris Powell this week - and the club are usually very good at giving us that.

Hope that answers the question!

Archived