McClaren has been amazing since he came back.

Curtains

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

http://www.player.dcfc.co.uk/latest-news/bf4d7d4d-5d72-4bea-a28d-d56a7120a02e

If you have a Ramsplayer subscription, you can see it here. It's cut out of the free YouTube version of the interview.

But yeah, Johnson is coming good, that was a Clement signing. Same for Butterfield, Carson and Baird. Not disputing that some of those signings are coming good. 

The interesting thing with Pearce is that we snapped him up when his Reading contract expired. I think we must have agreed a pre-contract agreement a few months prior, while McClaren was still here, but obviously the situation changed. Like I said, it makes sense. Explains why Clement felt he needed Shackell and then went on to never even play Pearce at all. Why would you sign a player and then never even give him a single league start? 

Your 100 percent correct I just listened to Gibbo ask him in his first sentence and he agreed McClaren signed him. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Tombo said:

http://www.player.dcfc.co.uk/latest-news/bf4d7d4d-5d72-4bea-a28d-d56a7120a02e

If you have a Ramsplayer subscription, you can see it here. It's cut out of the free YouTube version of the interview.

But yeah, Johnson is coming good, that was a Clement signing. Same for Butterfield, Carson and Baird. Not disputing that some of those signings are coming good. 

The interesting thing with Pearce is that we snapped him up when his Reading contract expired. I think we must have agreed a pre-contract agreement a few months prior, while McClaren was still here, but obviously the situation changed. Like I said, it makes sense. Explains why Clement felt he needed Shackell and then went on to never even play Pearce at all. Why would you sign a player and then never even give him a single league start? 

Ask Clough, he did it a few times :whistle:

On 16/12/2016 at 13:12, Ramchester said:

Motivation. Get someone in who knows how to deal with the players you have. Easy to say Pearson was crap, but how many people have you worked for and would rather stick pins in your eyes. 

McClaren has got good players playing to their strengths and motivated them, don't underestimate a good 'coach'.

Loved his interview today after Fulham, he's just full of enthusiasm, can see why he's motivated them, it's uplifting listening to him at present.

Mac has just raised the whole atmosphere, bar you name it. We have a realistic chance of play offs and he's created that, it's bloody brilliant he's back.

In hindsight, Pearson was very much the wrong man.

However, if you look at some teams where instead of needing galvanising/steel to finish off a nearly very good side, the situation is that things need starting again and the board know that it's worth giving time and understanding to do that, he could be the right man. I don't think he's without merit in the right circumstances.

As 2 examples - us when we hired Nigel Clough, or Forest now. in each of those, given a couple of years, I'm sure he'd have succeeded.

On McClaren though - I was extremely sceptical - turning around a struggling side has never been his thing - but I've been proved wrong. I'm also delighted that he's seeming focused, committed and enjoying this gig.

I honestly thought his career as a head coach/manager had been terminally killed off by his Newcastle team. When it was rumoured he'd applied for the Rotherham gig and not been given a look in I though the game at large felt the same.

On 17/12/2016 at 11:31, curtains said:

Where did you get that from .

Have you got the interview .

Clement made a lot of signings though that have now come good. 

Camara might even work out along with Baird. 

Carson certainly has and he was another Clement signing. 

PS More credit to McClaren though. 

Some people were using some of the Clement so-called 'dead wood' signings as something to hit McClaren and Chris Evans with after the end of Mac I, suggesting that they were 'in the pipeline already'. I doubt that we will ever know with any certainty, but I'm not bothered one way or another.

On 16/12/2016 at 11:42, curtains said:

He has turned us around but the players also deserve great credit  .

Do you really think so?

Well not for me any way as I fear this is false dawn and history will repeat itself. At the least we need a reality check!

McLaren has now been in charge for 11 league games during which we have played 5 teams in the current top half of the table. Even though we have won some of these games we have been outplayed for long periods and fortunate to win most of them.

Leeds, out played for long periods in addition to them hitting the woodwork twice, a fortunate victory with them having 13 shots on goal to our 9

Huddersfield again outplayed and deservingly losing with them having 21 shots to our 7.

Sheff Wed, again we were dominated for long periods, they hit the woodwork and had a blatant penalty turned down. Fortunate to win.

Norwich beat a team in poor form with a lacklustre display.

Fulham totally dominated for long periods, fortunate to earn a draw with them having 18 shots to our 7.

Even though the results indicate otherwise, with the exception of Norwich, we have been 2nd best for long periods of these games.

I have seen nothing in McLaren’s make up to indicate that he can set a team up to dominate an opponent of worth and deliver consistent results. We will make the play offs beating inferior teams and ultimately fail due to McLaren’s inept tactical management.

The performance and authority is not there and our luck will eventually run out. Our next 8 league matches will dictate what lies in store. I’ll wager now that at the end of it this forum will not be quiet as buoyant, as much as it grieves me to say it! As I say, a reality check!

And you saw plenty in Pearson's make up to suggest he could set up team to dominate an opponent ? He couldn't set a ******' table. The proof is in the pudding, under Pearson we were *****, under McClaren we're not.

Pearson should be charged under the trades description act, he is to coaching what King Herrod was to babysitting. 

3 hours ago, Pearson said:

I have seen nothing in McLaren’s make up to indicate that he can set a team up to dominate an opponent of worth and deliver consistent results. We will make the play offs beating inferior teams and ultimately fail due to McLaren’s inept tactical management.

The performance and authority is not there and our luck will eventually run out. Our next 8 league matches will dictate what lies in store. I’ll wager now that at the end of it this forum will not be quiet as buoyant, as much as it grieves me to say it! As I say, a reality check!

Thanks so much Pearson, I haven't laughed so much in ages. How I miss NP's cheery face around the iPro - not.

Basically Mac has made a silk purse out of a sow's ear, whilst Pearson made the sow's ear! ROFL at your judgement of Mac.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

Some people were using some of the Clement so-called 'dead wood' signings as something to hit McClaren and Chris Evans with after the end of Mac I, suggesting that they were 'in the pipeline already'. I doubt that we will ever know with any certainty, but I'm not bothered one way or another.

Exactly. Who gives a monkeys as long as it works

Do you really think so?

Well not for me any way as I fear this is false dawn and history will repeat itself. At the least we need a reality check!

McLaren has now been in charge for 11 league games during which we have played 5 teams in the current top half of the table. Even though we have won some of these games we have been outplayed for long periods and fortunate to win most of them.

Leeds, out played for long periods in addition to them hitting the woodwork twice, a fortunate victory with them having 13 shots on goal to our 9

Huddersfield again outplayed and deservingly losing with them having 21 shots to our 7.

Sheff Wed, again we were dominated for long periods, they hit the woodwork and had a blatant penalty turned down. Fortunate to win.

Fulham totally dominated for long periods, fortunate to earn a draw with them having 18 shots to our 7.

Even though the results indicate otherwise, with the exception of Norwich, we have been 2nd best for long periods of these games.

If you'd have toned this down slightly it could have been excellent trolling. 

Firstly can I say welcome to the forum Nigel and many thanks for the 'reality check'. I wish we could could debate in happier circumstances but we'll make do, eh? Firstly, you'll note that I've redacted your OP. You did keep saying the same thing over and over so I've just kept the bits that made me laugh the loudest. Also, it's all a bit lemon. Yes, Mac got your job and that must have stung a little, but let's examine the facts, shall we, as I fear you're being a tad unfair;

• Having taken over a side that scarcely looked like it understood your ideas (brilliant though they were), he's got the team playing and winning games.
  • Having taken over a team hovering around the relegation slots we are now bang in the playoff picture.
  • In eight games we've kept 6 clean sheets so it appears the defensive woes we witnessed earlydoors are now parked.
  • It also seems that we can now close out games, which we couldn't, or even scrap for a draw when we're losing - amazing!
  • Over a period of 8 games, we have secured 22 points from a possible 24 and all of this despite Mac's 'inept tactical management'

It seems you're missing us Nigel and struggling to come to terms with the fact that the romance is over. I'm really sorry to see this but if it brings you any crumb of comfort, we appear to be doing fine without you.

xx 

4 hours ago, Pearson said:

Do you really think so?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

1 hour ago, robglosta said:

If you'd have toned this down slightly it could have been excellent trolling. 

@Pearson had to wait fully two months before the wheels came off and we only drew away at a place where the home side had scored a hatful in their two previous games.

He must be getting really desperate.

Do you really think so?

Agree, our performances are pretty dire. Steve is clueless, NP had us playing with far more authority and desire.

Oh wait..sorry no I don't agree, but hey we are all entitled to our opinion, mine is we are going up at Wembley... Can't wait.

22 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree, our performances are pretty dire. Steve is clueless, NP had us playing with far more authority and desire.

Oh wait..sorry no I don't agree, but hey we are all entitled to our opinion, mine is we are going up at Wembley... Can't wait.

I miss Bryson at holding midfield.

Do you really think so?

I don't think we need to dominate possession every game.

As long as the balance of the team is correct (Baird staying when the left back pushes, Russell's workrate to support left back etc), we'll be fine. 

The team, with Butterfield and Hughes, can control possession when other teams sit back but we can also counter very quickly when teams dare to attack. 

Johnson defending in front of the back four can also make those late runs...

The crucial thing is the finishing ability we have....Ince is unplayable when he receives the ball just outside the box, Bent has goals in him.

If Russell, Hughes, Butterfield and Johnson can contribute, with Bryson and Thorne (eventually) also capable of goals and assists then we are a real threat to any team.

As long as Steve gives then the confidence to attack with pace and purpose we will make the play offs. Yes its too much to ask to claw back Newcastle or Brighton (unless one of them has a disaster of gump proportions) but after our start to the season the play offs would be a great turn round,

Would we win the play offs? Total lottery, as always, fine lines, missed chances, defensive slip, dodgy reffing...all we can do is be in the mix come May and be confident of frightening the life out of any team unlucky enough to meet us.

If we lost the play offs i don't see that as failure. 

Not reaching the play offs would seem like failure now the expectations are high.

I think that Steve is an intelligent man who sees that we have a squad who need the belief and confidence of the Manager and the fans to give us a rousing season. I also believe that he will have no distractions, total commitment to the cause, Mel sitting back and letting Sam deal with Steve on a day to day basis. 

Promotion or not, a thrilling 2nd half of the season with 30k getting behind the lads will be a great season for me.

The rollercoaster is well and truly running, its time to hang on for dear life and enjoy every fabulous second of it.

COYR.

5 hours ago, Pearson said:

Do you really think so?

Inept tactical management? Lololololol. :lol:

Archived