McClaren has been amazing since he came back.

Curtains

23 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't think we need to dominate possession every game.

As long as the balance of the team is correct (Baird staying when the left back pushes, Russell's workrate to support left back etc), we'll be fine. 

The team, with Butterfield and Hughes, can control possession when other teams sit back but we can also counter very quickly when teams dare to attack. 

Johnson defending in front of the back four can also make those late runs...

The crucial thing is the finishing ability we have....Ince is unplayable when he receives the ball just outside the box, Bent has goals in him.

If Russell, Hughes, Butterfield and Johnson can contribute, with Bryson and Thorne (eventually) also capable of goals and assists then we are a real threat to any team.

As long as Steve gives then the confidence to attack with pace and purpose we will make the play offs. Yes its too much to ask to claw back Newcastle or Brighton (unless one of them has a disaster of gump proportions) but after our start to the season the play offs would be a great turn round,

Would we win the play offs? Total lottery, as always, fine lines, missed chances, defensive slip, dodgy reffing...all we can do is be in the mix come May and be confident of frightening the life out of any team unlucky enough to meet us.

If we lost the play offs i don't see that as failure. 

Not reaching the play offs would seem like failure now the expectations are high.

I think that Steve is an intelligent man who sees that we have a squad who need the belief and confidence of the Manager and the fans to give us a rousing season. I also believe that he will have no distractions, total commitment to the cause, Mel sitting back and letting Sam deal with Steve on a day to day basis. 

Promotion or not, a thrilling 2nd half of the season with 30k getting behind the lads will be a great season for me.

The rollercoaster is well and truly running, its time to hang on for dear life and enjoy every fabulous second of it.

COYR.

Great post. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you listened to a recent Mac interview he actually says that "it's not so much possession" and talks about how he wants us to attack faster (not Nigel Pearson fast where the ball goes from CB to opponents box in 1 kick). Darren Bent and Ince have also spoken about our counter attacking style 

I think you see that in how we play. We drop deeper more quickly than in his last spell. The discipline in keeping shape is there. We're comfortable out of possession and we are creating most our chances on the break now.

Yeah there's been periods where we are getting bossed. But more often than not we are in shape and the opponent is playing in front of us while we wait for our chance to spring forward. 

To boss possession we'd probably be pressing higher up. Trying to force the opponent to go long and increase the chances of them losing the ball. 

22 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't think we need to dominate possession every game.

My apologies for cutting other well reasoned points, but, this is essentially where we will ultimately fall short. I wouldn’t have a problem if we failed to dominate every game, indeed I would expect as much, but to not dominate any of the mentioned games?

All successful and well managed sides dominate the opposition in the majority of their games. Our winning streak has masked many managerial deficiencies and weakness which will soon come to the fore.

16 minutes ago, Pearson said:

My apologies for cutting other well reasoned points, but, this is essentially where we will ultimately fall short. I wouldn’t have a problem if we failed to dominate every game, indeed I would expect as much, but to not dominate any of the mentioned games?

All successful and well managed sides dominate the opposition in the majority of their games. Our winning streak has masked many managerial deficiencies and weakness which will soon come to the fore.

You must have missed Leicester's somewhat successful last campaign, where they did quite well despite never dominating games.

Was it too painful to watch?

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 15:53, Pearson said:

Do you really think so?

Well not for me any way as I fear this is false dawn and history will repeat itself. At the least we need a reality check!

McLaren has now been in charge for 11 league games during which we have played 5 teams in the current top half of the table. Even though we have won some of these games we have been outplayed for long periods and fortunate to win most of them.

Leeds, out played for long periods in addition to them hitting the woodwork twice, a fortunate victory with them having 13 shots on goal to our 9

Huddersfield again outplayed and deservingly losing with them having 21 shots to our 7.

Sheff Wed, again we were dominated for long periods, they hit the woodwork and had a blatant penalty turned down. Fortunate to win.

Norwich beat a team in poor form with a lacklustre display.

Fulham totally dominated for long periods, fortunate to earn a draw with them having 18 shots to our 7.

Even though the results indicate otherwise, with the exception of Norwich, we have been 2nd best for long periods of these games.

I have seen nothing in McLaren’s make up to indicate that he can set a team up to dominate an opponent of worth and deliver consistent results. We will make the play offs beating inferior teams and ultimately fail due to McLaren’s inept tactical management.

The performance and authority is not there and our luck will eventually run out. Our next 8 league matches will dictate what lies in store. I’ll wager now that at the end of it this forum will not be quiet as buoyant, as much as it grieves me to say it! As I say, a reality check!

Jeeeez! Cup half empty much?! 

We are where we deserve to be. I think we were slightly unfortunate to start as badly as we did. Some performances that probably warranted a few extra points and under Mac2 we've cheated a few extra points than we perhaps deserve. The upshot is we are a side capable of a play off finish.

The ultimate reality is that under Pearson we looked dejected, stifled and devoid of ideas. Under Mac2 we look more positive, creative and able to take our chances. We haven't dominated teams as we did under Mac1. Key difference is that we haven't had Thorne or Martin who would boss games. They were great tactics for the personnel we had. However, Mac2 has clearly recognised this and as a result we are set up to be solid and attack quickly. They are perfect tactics for the personnel we have. Not sure how you can say he's tactically inept! The only manager we've had in 10 years who knew how to set up a side reflective of their ability and best positions!

It's still exciting to watch and we're picking up points but if you are expecting us to dominate possession and pass teams off the park you might be disappointed. 

Enjoy the upturn in results and the fact that we're in contention again!

22 hours ago, reveldevil said:

You must have missed Leicester's somewhat successful last campaign, where they did quite well despite never dominating games.

And that's a team that won the Premier League.

Surely Pearson isn't measuring us against the best sides in England? Because I think maybe first we should worry about trying to be in the top 20. 

Ironic somebody called Pearson is complaining Derby don't dominate games in 2016. I gave a cloud player of the month for August

On 19/12/2016 at 20:15, reveldevil said:

All becoming a tad churlish now!

Never dominating games? Certainly played on the break when they had to, but also dominated a fair few games that I witnessed which ultimately gave them a platform to win the Premiership.

We on the other hand in the Championship have failed to dominate a single opponent in the top half under coach McClaren

25 minutes ago, Pearson said:

All becoming a tad churlish now!

Never dominating games? Certainly played on the break when they had to, but also dominated a fair few games that I witnessed which ultimately gave them a platform to win the Premiership.

We on the other hand in the Championship have failed to dominate a single opponent in the top half under coach McClaren

A fair few games? They only had more than 50% possession in FIVE games last season and they were all against bottom half teams. That's not what I'd call dominating a fair few games.

That's beside the point though. They played a style that helped them win games. Since McClaren has come back, Derby have played a style that has helped us win games. We can't just expect to dominate matches when the three players who helped us do precisely that (Martin, Thorne and Buxton) are either nt fit or just not at the club anymore.

McClaren has seen this and cleverly decided that possession football can go on the backburner for the moment. Play a style that suits the players available and here we are doing it now. I'm sure McClaren ould love for us to have more of tthe ball, but sometimes you have to readjust your expectations.

I don't think @Pearson is saying anything outrageous.

We've recently achieved results that exceed what we should reasonably expect given some key statistics from our games. For me, I usually look at shots on target and key passes first. And I don't think any of us would argue that we have stood head and shoulders above the opposition in those sorts of statistics recently. 

Hence it's reasonable to assume that if our in-game form continues broadly as is then results will settle back into a more balanced pattern of win a few,  lose a few.

Arguably Leicester managed to keep churning out results that exceeded performance for longer,  but their correction has come this season.

I made the point in another thread that in reality we are seeing at the moment the squad playing for a coach in the way they did nt for Pearson , Mac has returned us to what we were ,a talented squad that should be getting in the play offs comfortably ,, the question is can he make us a  team that does it when it really counts and achieve promotion ,, that remains to be seen ,, simple facts are Pearson would have achieved nothing with the squad he inherited and would have had to clear out and rebuild ,, Mac can do far far better with this squad than Pearson , remains to be seen whether he can adjust and add to it or motivate and coach it enough to achieve ,, if he can't he will be gone too but given more time than Pearson ,,, as fans we have and enjoy the instant feel good and better results short term ( at the mo ) under mac

I remember under Pearson we dominated some games, Ipswich springs to mind. Over 65% possession, 20 odd shots and still managed to be robbed 0-1. We have done the same to Wigan and QPR recently, but that's what having some luck and confidence can do.

On 19/12/2016 at 00:26, Alpha said:

If you listened to a recent Mac interview he actually says that "it's not so much possession" and talks about how he wants us to attack faster (not Nigel Pearson fast where the ball goes from CB to opponents box in 1 kick). Darren Bent and Ince have also spoken about our counter attacking style 

I think you see that in how we play. We drop deeper more quickly than in his last spell. The discipline in keeping shape is there. We're comfortable out of possession and we are creating most our chances on the break now.

Yeah there's been periods where we are getting bossed. But more often than not we are in shape and the opponent is playing in front of us while we wait for our chance to spring forward. 

To boss possession we'd probably be pressing higher up. Trying to force the opponent to go long and increase the chances of them losing the ball. 

I think that the last season and a bit with Clement and Pearson in charge can be a blessing in disguise (very well disguised admittedly). That time spent with dour, almost defensive obsessed football, will have taught the players the now visible desire to fight with their lives to maintain a lead or indeed "just" keep a clean sheet.

On 21.12.2016 at 11:15, toddy said:

I remember under Pearson we dominated some games, Ipswich springs to mind. Over 65% possession, 20 odd shots and still managed to be robbed 0-1. We have done the same to Wigan and QPR recently, but that's what having some luck and confidence can do.

We had a lot of efforts at goal in a lot of games under Pearson, just couldnt score. Infact at one point i think we had the lowest conversion rate in the division

Fast forward to most of the recent games under McClaren where we seem to always score but dont have many efforts on goal, some games such as Fulham have seen our only shots on target converted into goals.

Ive said to before and ill say it again, confidence growing, team morale and happy fans come from winning games. If Pearson had roughly half the good fortune mcClaren has had, he would probably still be in a job.

Archived