McClaren has been amazing since he came back.

Curtains

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I'm not sure what you were aiming for with that, but:

Darren Bent: 9 league goals in 27 appearances

Chris Martin: 9 league goals in 19 appearances

and Martin came off the bench last night? :ermm:

Thought Chris Martin has made 29 league appearances this season [4 for us and 25 for Fulham] and scored 9 goals?

8 minutes ago, toddy said:

You cannot credit him because you wish not to do so - the facts are he picked the side, the formations and the tactics and had the meeting not took place that afternoon he would have been in the dug out 4 hours later.

One thing I do agree with and he have hinted at it.....the players because as poor the performances were in games under Pearson we have had then again under Mac in the last 10 games.

1. I do not wish to, you are right.

2. I do not have to, he was not in charge of that match.

3. It is my firm belief that had Pearson not been suspended we probably would not have won that match.

4. After Blackburn, the squad held a players meeting - "Creeping up to mel behind Pearson's back" as quite a lot of posters framed it at the time.

If anything, there was something lifted in that game amongst fans, players, whatever, there was something there in the team that was not there under Pearson before in any of the matches I'd been at or seen or heard. There was a fight and a will to win which if you want to credit Pearson with instilling, then you do that, but I firmly put down to his fecking absence.

14 minutes ago, toddy said:

I doubt he would have made much difference anyway and lets be honest here Martin has not set the division alight with he goals this season has he. You could argue he is actually playing in a more attacking team than our as well?

The problems within this squad are bigger than Chris Martin as an excuse.

I thought we had got past what someone does at one club doesn't mean he will do it at another, transversely because he hasn't done it somewhere doesn't mean he won't do it elsewhere (somewhere where he has a good record of doing it)

Where did I say it was the sole or main reason we have struggled recently? Having a player that has scored goals for the club than any other player in 20 years has surely must be worth having around, even if on the bench?

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

I thought we had got past what someone does at one club doesn't mean he will do it at another, transversely because he hasn't done it somewhere doesn't mean he won't do it elsewhere (somewhere where he has a good record of doing it)

Where did I say it was the sole or main reason we have struggled recently? Having a player that has scored goals for the club than any other player in 20 years has surely must be worth having around, even if on the bench?

I think he is declining - in 13/14 he had 25, 14/15 he had 21, in 15/16 he had 15 and this season so far he has scored 9 in 29 - and playing in a more attack minded team this season, but  it does seem he is declining?

3 minutes ago, toddy said:

I think he is declining - in 13/14 he had 25, 14/15 he had 21, in 15/16 he had 15 and this season so far he has scored 9 in 29 - and playing in a more attack minded team this season, but  it does seem he is declining?

Or the players are.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They seem fine without 'the Derby player' as they call CM. Yes we're suffering from them not allowing him to return, which is what Jokanovich said.

The problems within this squad will not go away with Chris Martin back.........

14 minutes ago, toddy said:

The problems within this squad will not go away with Chris Martin back.........

Maybe they won't. But having one of best goal-scorers back will certainly be a step in the right direction?

Look at Ince under Mac, different player, who says he won't have the same effect on CM? Might as well be optimistic about him coming back. 

EDIT: Sorry, one of our best goal-scorers.

31 minutes ago, toddy said:

Or symptomatic of injury (14/15) and a different, more cautious style of play (15/16)

We desperately need to avoid falling any further into the nffc style of football management in co stantly seeking the new manager bounce.

We have to closely follow Brighton's example in giving the manager several seasons to put his team and team ethics together to get a winning long term formula....This would take the excessive pressure of immediate expectation off the manager allowing a long term plan to be formed....

But you do need to have the right manager in first before giving him a long run at the job. If Fulham get promoted to the prem this season a certain striker may have a change of heart where he plays his football next season.

Archived