Vydra looking Menacing ... when will he start?

Ninos

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EulogyForEvolution said:

Vydra was poor today. Not convinced by him in the lone striker role. Would like to see Martin come back and Vydra moved to an inside forward role on the left. Ince, Martin, Vydra as a front three would be frightening.

I concur. Never want to see a Derby player struggling, yet he's clearly uncomfortable in the role we've set out for him. Looked OK when he came on against QPR but today was a different story. 

Dunno what the solution is...Bent isn't a natural in the role either. 

9 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

I concur. Never want to see a Derby player struggling, yet he's clearly uncomfortable in the role we've set out for him. Looked OK when he came on against QPR but today was a different story. 

Dunno what the solution is...Bent isn't a natural in the role either. 

We all know the solution.....one of us needs to invent a time machine,go back several months and kidnap Pearson,preventing him from signing off Martin's loan to bloody Fulham....

Anyone up for this or what......I haven't got the skills or indeed a delorean...

You don't need to be a great goal scorer to be an effective forward. Shefti Kuqi proved that for us.

The problem I have with Vydra is that he offers very little in his all-round game. You can comment on his poor finishing and lack of goals this season, but I find his link-up play poor too.

He isn't strong, he isn't good in the air, he isn't good at linking the play, he doesn't have great awareness of what's around him, he doesn't have a particularly good first touch and he's off balance a lot.

In a 4-3-3 you can't get away with a forward who can't link the play, especially on the road.

Vydra is only good for the last ten minutes when the game becomes stretched. I honestly feel spending £8m on a player of this ilk ranks among our worst ever purchases. Total waste of money.

Vydra hasn't shown anything which Connor Sammon couldn't do. Sammon was just as able to come on for the last 10 minutes and cause a nuisence. 

Personal view is that he offers little for us and at £8 million was a poor signing.

Vydra had his most successful spell under Zola at Watford in 2012/13. Purely speculating but if Birmingham (who allegedly have money to spend in Jan) wanted him, could they sign him? I am uncertain on rules regarding how many clubs each season. He didn't play for Watford this season but he was obviously registered with them.

Next to a big forward he is a very capable forward £8 million is a heck of a lot but I was more worried about the £4 million we paid for anya but our system under mac needs the strong centre forward to control hold and pass the ball and score goals if there is one better than Martin let's have him otherwise get him back. The possession stats in a lot of our games just show that we are just not hanging on to the football 

Here we go. The experts are out.

Sorry Vydra, mate, you played away at an inform team who smash teams at home and you've not scored or done enough for people who have not seen the match. All whilst playing in a position you're trying to play for the first time.

**** off.

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Oh I agree with that completely, and it's almost certainly the reason why he's been first off the bench in every game.

Brady , like your points generally  but I think you are wrong on this one

Vydra was bought to play in Pearson's new system - a counter-attacking 442, based on speed up front on the break.

He doesn't suit our present system.And in my opinion never will be.  We like to hold the ball and work openings.  He is a round peg in a square hole.

Not his fault, its the fault of circumstances. He can certainly do a job for a team who plays in a way that accommodates him.

He's first off the bench for various reasons :

- There is no like for like back up to Bent

- There is an opportunity for that sort of player but only  in the last 15 or 20 minutes of games at best

- £8m is too much to pay by a Championship team not to persevere with, even if he doesn't have a long term future with us the way we play now

Its a shame but there you go

I certainly don't think he's crap,  I just think he doesn't fit the way we play. He's not going to suddenly 'come good' later in the season and start banging them in. Not for this team anyway.

We need someone in the mold of Martin, but that falls over a bit less so they can win over a larger percentage of fans. 

14 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

I certainly don't think he's crap,  I just think he doesn't fit the way we play. He's not going to suddenly 'come good' later in the season and start banging them in. Not for this team anyway.

We need someone in the mold of Martin, but that falls over a bit less so they can win over a larger percentage of fans. 

we need to give the team credit everyone must be playing their part we have gone seven games unbeaten learned how to pull out wins when we are not creating much lets get real when did we last go seven games unbeaten lets give encouragement instead of pulling individual players to pieces

34 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

we need to give the team credit everyone must be playing their part we have gone seven games unbeaten learned how to pull out wins when we are not creating much lets get real when did we last go seven games unbeaten lets give encouragement instead of pulling individual players to pieces

Coff .........Sir Brians team ? .............and folks whinged and moaned about some of them ! .............nothin's new !

I for one would have CM back if possible and that will be down to whether Steve wants him and can make him feel the love, vydra has looked quite sharp on occasions but will be wanting a run off games that he won't get if bents on form and linking up well with those around him.Get the wardrobe back better to have him in our team than one of our rivals which Fulham may well be come may!

30 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'd be interested in seeing him have a go there, but for all the work and running he does, could he do as well defensively helping the left back as Russell does? I'm not so sure.

I think the first goal today somewhat brings Russell's ability to help his full back into serious question.... especially when that full back was playing like he was faced with Lionel messi and Ronald merged together

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I think the first goal today somewhat brings Russell's ability to help his full back into serious question.... especially when that full back was playing like he was faced with Lionel messi and Ronald merged together

Bit harsh. Olsson was in a 1 on 1 situation and should have been able to stop the cross. There was no overlapping player for Russell to watch and Olsson should have been able to handle that situation himself. I think Russell has done very well defensively over the recent weeks and that's probably a major factor in him regularly being picked ahead of Weimann and now Camara.

Archived